1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tires and mpg

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by ez2bgreen, Dec 2, 2005.

1. ez2bgreen

ez2bgreen New Member

Because I live in the mountains, love to ski, and hate to buy gas for my thirsty pickup, I decided to upgrade the tires on my Prius from the OE Goodyear Integrity tires. The first thing I noticed was that the OE tires were almost bald after only 23K miles. :eek: My pickup did better than that on its OE set. The dealer said it was because of the torque of the electric motor, but it's not like I've been laying rubber. In fact, I drive more conservatively to enhance mileage.

That brings me to my second issue. I did some research, realizing that rolling resistance would impact on mileage. But I also needed a grippy set of treads for snow driving. I wound up buying Michelin Hydroedge tires, which do seem to handle the wet and slippery very well. Consumer Reports also rates them as very good in terms of rolling resistance. Ever since I installed them, however, my mileage has turned to crap. The first tankful (~42 mpg) I attributed to headwinds. My second tankful was better (~49 mpg), but much of that was downhill. On the current tankful...all in town...the computer has not climbed above 40 mpg (currently 38). Of course, it's colder and road conditions are less than optimal, but last winter I averaged close to 48 mpg.

So I guess I'd call this a cautionary tale. You may have to sacrifice some mileage for the sake of safety. <_<

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Are there grippy tires that don't significantly impact mileage? At $400 a set, I won't be swapping the Michelins anytime soon...assuming they fare better than the OEs did.

2. Venturer

Venturer New Member

I traded the OEM tires for Good Year Comfortreads at about 1500 miles. We noticed better control and ride, but as near as we could tell, lost about 1-2 mpg. We made the swap in warm weather. Cold, wind and snow have a much greater impact on the mileage.

Doug

3. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

I have used oem tires, MIchelin MXV4+ and Michelin X-Ice tires. I notice no change in mpg with any ot these tires. I always check them for a hundred miles or so right after putting them on so there are no effects of temperature etc.

My Michelin Xice are on right now and we had one warm day where I took a trip and got 57 mpg.
    59 MPG is the best I ever got on the summer tires working really hard at it.

But when it is colder I feel lucky to get over 50 mpg and sometimes now my commute is under 50 at 48.
    Without a block heater it coudl be closer to 40.

Temperature affects tires far more than the kind of tire, so to check the tires you must measure some kind of standard route on a day when temperatures match for each tire set.

4. Potential Buyer

Potential Buyer New Member

For one thing, you will always get bad mileage during the first 700 or so miles after getting new tires. For another, the tires you chose are probably not low-rolling-resistance tires. Green Seal published a report of their recommended LRR tires, including a number of snow ones... I remember Michelin Pilot Alpines were one of the highly recommended ones.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't sweat it. I took a huge drop in mpg my first few tanks after switching to the HydroEdge, but now I'm doing nearly as well as I had on the Integrities. You'll have a hard time making an accurate assessment, but I think you'll be able to compare May '06 to May '05 and get a better idea of how you're ultimately going to do.

The fractional decrease in gas mileage is a good trade off for the markedly superior traction and handling.