1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tires dilemma - what to do?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by vnhk, May 19, 2011.

1. vnhk

vnhk New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi guys,

My OEM Yokohama tires are now at 24k miles, and the rear driver side tire got a nail on the edge/side. I got a temporary plug right now, but is told not safe to drive much.

Now my dilemma is:

1. should I replace 4 tires now or only 2? (there is still plenty of thread left as I can see)

2. What tires to use? I like Michelin Energy Saver or Hydroedge, but they are hard to find in stock right now. Also looking at Ecopia 20 or 422, but open to suggestions.

What do you guys think and recommend? Anybody know any current promotion any stores have right now?

I have to replace these before my vacation next week. Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. wstevensiv

wstevensiv New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I would replace all 4 but that's up to you...

some people really like the 422's but I only have experience with my Goodyear assurance.

I like them, they aren't really that quite or smooth, but I get 52mpg consistently without using any hypermilling techniques. I think they are squeelly but I havent felt unsafe yet...

If it were me, I would not get the hydroedge, but thats just me. I would stick with the goodyear, bridgestone, or maybe* the continental dws.

tirerack.com lets you see all the reviews and I always find this helpful. you can additionally screen for vehicle make and by doing this, you might see what prius reviewers have to say. but then again, there is always priuschat for that...

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    How much tread (in 32nds of an inch) do you have left on your tires. New tires are usually 10/32 or 11/32, legal minimum is 2/32, most of us replace them at 4/32 or even 6/32.

If your tires are down to 7/32 or 8/32 definitely go for new ones, more than that it's a judgment call.

Personally in your situation I would go for 4 new Michelins from either Costco or Tire Rack. Tire Rack will have a tire to match your other 3 if you choose to go that way.

4. wstevensiv

wstevensiv New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    $80 rebate on goodyear
    $100 rebate on kuhmo (prepaid card)
    $60 rebate on hankook (prepaid card)
    $70 rebate michelin (prepaid card)
    $50 rebate on general

honestly, this might sound crazy. but i did have hankook optimo h727's and they were amazing as far as ride quality goes. additionally, they were very well rated in consumer reports last edition.

these are not low rolling resistance, BUT with the 60 dollar card, you can buy ALOT of gas and have great tires at the same time. they also have an 80,000mi warranty.

1 person likes this.
  5. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    No sense replacing all 4 if not needed--I'd only replace the 2 rears.

Tirerack.com has the best prices, based on my experience buying from them a few times. You can have them drop shipped to your installer of choice, or you can use one of their local recommended installers.

6. wstevensiv

wstevensiv New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    this is a deal: Kumho Ecsta LE Sport

100 dollar rebate...wow.

this is the only kumho rebated right now...

7. Caug1

Caug1 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hankook optimo h727' would be my choice or just replace one.
    its not awd car, you ll be fine.
    c

p.s.
    bring the car to tire place that will fix it from inside with the patch.
    you ll be fine.
    no need for new tire.

8. Caug1

Caug1 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    These are too heavy.
    find ones that weight max 20lbs.
    yocahama's that came on 15'' wheels are only 18lbs.

9. vnhk

vnhk New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for all the advice, guys. I want to replace these fast, so cannot depend on Tirerack.com

Costco only has Michelin X Radical (not in stock, has to order) or Ecopia EP20 (in stock).

I also call around most tire shops, and they don't have Michelin Energy Saver or Hydroedge in stock. Well except on Sears auto center has 4 Hydroedge, but it will cost $644 installed for 4 tires :(

I also think of Continental ProContact EcoPlus, but don't see many reviews. hmm

10. vnhk

vnhk New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So it seems Hankook Optimo H727 would also be a good choice since you guys recommend it. I will look into it and see if there is any stock locally.

Also I will be driving to Yosemite next week, so I don't want to risk it by just fixing it. Better spend the $$$ than stranded or crashing. :)

11. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Tirerack.com has a warehouse in NV. I also live in the bay area, and received them in 1 day one time, and 2 days another time (think it depends on time of day I ordered).

12. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would not bother buying any tires. There's no damage to your sidewall so your life isn't in danger. Pay $15-20 to patch it up (Les Schwab or America's Tire actually may do it for free) and be done with it. This is common, happens all the time to people. Happened to me just yesterday, in fact. If everybody bought a set of tires when a nail punctured their tread, then I'd want to be in the tire business.

BTW - a plug might've made your situation worse than if you had left the nail in there. What happens is you took a small hole and made it larger with a plug. The nail could've been sealing in the air for all that matter. Still, just get it patched or "plugged and patched."

13. vnhk

vnhk New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I would love to not buy tires, but so far few shops told me it's not safe, and it's not a risk I want to take when driving long distance and up mountain in isolated areas (Yosemite trip next week). I'm frugal, but not that cheap with my life and others. Thanks. :)

14. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Admittedly, a plug is not a viable permanant solution because of the potential for a slow leak. A patch, however, is very safe. The patch and tire essentially become one piece, rendering the tire good as new. A patched tire won't blow out on you.

The assumption that you'll get stuck in the mountains or die is a bit absurd. What's to stop you from hitting another nail? It won't matter if you got new tires or a patched tire.

People here like to talk about their favorite tires so they'll tell you which to buy and from where, but I'm giving you the practical answer. You don't need new tires. :)

15. Gurple42

Gurple42 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    assuming you are going to keep the car for a while, just buy a pair for the rear, you'll be wasting money buying four now, or if you match the existing tires buy only one.:)

16. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Based on the location of the hole (looks like right on the edge where the bottom & sidewall meet, on the sidewall side), no reputable shop would repair that, even with an interior patch/plug; and even if you could find a shop that would, I wouldn't risk my or others safety for it.

1 person likes this.
  17. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

I've got to agree, that is too close to the sidewall to consider patching.

18. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Now we're digging deep into the anatomy of a tire. It's close but it's still not part of the sidewall. Anyways, when the mechanics take the tire off, they'll be able to determine if it's safe to patch.

[​IMG]

19. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The repairable area ends some distance inside the outer edges of the tread:
    [​IMG]

The puncture looks like it's in a bad place to me, and I personally would not be comfortable putting my safety in the hands of some tire jockey. Honestly, is your safety worth it?

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  20. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I had a similar non-repairable tire at 15k. I just bought 2 tires for the rear and ran the other two on the front until they were worn out - I got another 14k out of the ones on the front.