1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tires from Costco in Greensboro

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Rangerdavid, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    OK, my OEM Integrities have finally bitten the dust. After 24,800 miles of mostly mountain driving, they were almost bald when I took out for the Costco in Greensboro this afternoon. Funny thing, the Costco in Winston-Salem didn't have the size tire I needed and didn't really care to look for any other Michelin that would fit. Anyway, I had already met Anthony at the Greensboro location, and he is the supervisor of the Tire department and drives a black 2006 Prius.

Last week when I stopped in he told me to wait, they were getting a shipment of Hydroedge tires in that were our size, and there would be a $60 off coupon available, so I could get all four for around $350 or so.

When I got there today, he had already installed a set on his car and gave me the full info on how they were driving. He uses 38-35 on the pressure, and he used to use 42-40 with his Integrities, just like me. So he hooked me up and pumped them up to his specs (38-35) for my drive back to Boone. They do use Nitrogen, and he says all the better if you live in a cold climate, no yellow tire light when it turns cold as Nitro is not supposed to fluctuate pressure like air. (I'll soon find out)

Anyway, I'm posting this since we now have quite a few folks around here in North Carolina who not only have Prii, but are PriusChat members. I drove 102 miles to the Costco and I received excellent service, a friendly chat with another Prius owner who also has the same Hydroedge tires I now have. Its just good to have a recommendation from someone who is driving the same car with the same tires.

My mileage on the way home was not good, aroung 46 mpg. It was all freeway, around 70 mph, and the biggest reason, aside from the brand new tires, was a change in altitude from about 800 feet asl (above sea level) in Greensboro, to around 4000 feet here, so basically all uphill. I'll wait and see when they break in, and I do expect the mileage to go back up after they are broken in. In the mountains it was raining, and they handled the rain very well. I think I'm going to like these tires!! I sure hope so, I think I'm stuck with them for a while now.

Only bad thing, there is no where around here to refill with nitro if the pressure drops, I'll just have to use air, unless anyone has a suggestion?.....

Thanks, just my 2 cents. :D good weekend to all !!
    :lol: :lol:

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    funny how we're nearly crossing paths so often, rangerdavid... we're in burlington fairly often! :lol:

hope you like the new tires... we got the michelin energy mxv4+ and we like them a lot.

3. Rangerdavid

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Weren't those the ones you can't get now? maybe not, but one michelin that was a real good prius tire was recently discontinued.

I hope you and DH are well. I'm just waiting for you to tell me you came across some extra basketball tickets!!! :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I do need to meet you folks sometime soon....

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    yeah, we got the last 4 in the area, actually.

extra b-ball tickets? we'd have to have some in the first place to have that happen :lol: do alums qualify for the walk-up line? that's the only way i get in... i've been really slack on getting DH's duke card otherwise we'd go more often during the season.

5. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ Oct 19 2007, 06:00 PM) [snapback]527995[/snapback]</div>
    The reason for that, as everyone who has taken Chemistry in high school knows, is:

1) Unlike every other gas, nitrogen doesn't obey the ideal gas law, and

2) Contrary to popular belief, air is not 78% nitrogen.

:rolleyes:

6. Rangerdavid

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Oct 19 2007, 10:40 PM) [snapback]528040[/snapback]</div>

Yeah, i don't have a scientific bone in my body.... never even took chemistry, so I don't have a clue about nitrogen smitrogen... :lol: :lol:

Oh, and Galexee, Alums get to pay thousands just to join the Iron Dukes Club, then wait for someone who has season tickets to die and give up their seats....... :eek:

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ Oct 19 2007, 08:00 PM) [snapback]527995[/snapback]</div>
    After you get a good feel for the MPG performance, you always have the option of running the pressure up to the maximum side wall pressure.

Bob Wilson

8. Rangerdavid

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Does anyone know if there is a portable nitrogen supply to inflate tires available anywhere? I remember at one time there was a product called "fix a flat". it came in an aerosol can and it would pump up a flat long enough for you to reach a gas station.

Is there any product available like that to put nitro in tires? I think I would like to go ahead and pump them up to my standard 42-40, but I'd rather not mix nitro and air since they already put the nitro in.

Any suggestions? :huh:

9. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just go to any Costco and have them "fill" them up, way up.

Wayne

10. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ Oct 22 2007, 11:03 AM) [snapback]528822[/snapback]</div>
    You use Nitrogen too? in which tires and at what pressure?

11. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ystasino @ Oct 22 2007, 10:26 AM) [snapback]528835[/snapback]</div>
    No I don't use Nitrogen, I have my own air compressor at home. Besides Costco would never fill my tires to the pressure I usually keep them at.

Wayne

12. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ Oct 21 2007, 06:30 PM) [snapback]528563[/snapback]</div>
    I heard that there is absolutely no harm in adding air to tires that have been filled with nitrogen.

13. Rangerdavid

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    So, I'm guessing no way to self-fill with nitro?

No, there is no harm in mixing air & nitro, you just lose the benefit of 100% nitro.

I can't just pop in to costco, the closest one is an hour & a half from here.

thanks for the responses so far...... B)

14. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ Oct 22 2007, 04:58 PM) [snapback]529043[/snapback]</div>
    Ummmm, well......

Hi Rangerdavid!

There is no harm in mixing air with nitrogen, in fact air is ~78-79% nitrogen to begin with (the remainder is mainly oxygen and then trace amounts of other gases). The other poster that mentioned the ideal gas law was likely hoping you might look it up (wikipedia or some other source). I'll spell it out.

Basically, when the Volume of a gas is constant (say, in a compressed gas tank or a tire)....as temperature increases, pressure increases. That's it. The remainder of the equation has to do with moles of gas, constants, etc.

Equation: PV = nRT. (P = pressure, V = Volume, T = Temperature, (R=gas constant and n = moles...don't worry about these).

Filling your tires with Nitrogen, Oxygen, room air, Rocky Mountain Spring Air, Helium, or a complex of Argon, Neon, and Krypton will not affect the above equation NOR will it do anything for your tires....other than provide pressure.

So, don't run yourself ragged trying to find a Nitrogen tank, don't spend any extra time or money on it. Normal air is fine. Nitrogen will do nothing beneficial relative to air. I'm not sure who mentioned that it would be beneficial, but either they were pulling your leg, or they were misinformed.

Anyhow, good luck with your Prius and your new set of tires!

(Me = many years of biology, chemistry and biochemistry)

15. Rangerdavid

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Codyroo @ Oct 25 2007, 12:36 AM) [snapback]530077[/snapback]</div>

Codyroo,

:D Thanks for the chemistry lesson, and welcome to PriusChat!! Other than walking down a hallway in high school, that's probably as close as I've ever been to a chemistry class.. and i'm very sorry to disappoint the other poster, but after a long day at the office, I rarely come home in any kinda mood to do research.

I do appreciate, however, the variety and intellect of people that visit this web site, even folks that visit like yourself that don't even have a Prius. I think it's great!

Now I' won't worry, and I can pump 'em up any any gas station...... thanks!! B)

16. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi R.D.,

The Hydroedges will take a couple thousand miles to loosen up, and chamfer down all the factory siping edges. Did you notice how noisey they were new? That goes away. That is caused by all the siping edges in the tread pattern.

This is anectdotal, but I think the Hydroedges are worse in rain for mileage, but otherwise the same in other weather, compared to the GY Integrity. The Integrity was a scate board in wet grimy road conditions around here. None of that with the Hydroedges.

Have done better than 58 mpg on all tanks this summer with them in the slow and go Chicagoland commutes. A few times, for a week at a time I have been above 60 mpg. I commute on an interstate, so I do cruise at higher speeds when traffic is flowing. That is the difference between gettting into the mid 60's mpg, and where I am. On my way home from the gas station, 3/4's of the way home from work, I can hit the mid-70's on a special route on the local roads. Its about 5 miles between the gas station and home.

17. Rangerdavid

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Donee...

thanks, what pressure do you run in yours???

18. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi R.D.,

I run my tires at 42 / 40 PSI. Wear has been mostly flat across so far. I have had them for about a 15 K miles now. So far, so good. They have been rotated every 6K miles. I set them on the weekend in the morning just before the sun hits them.

19. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I gave away the integries when i got the space ship and ordered hydroedge immediately. (Un fortunately the dealer was uncooperative on this)
    I had hydroedge on my saturn previously and loved the handling.
    Yes, I think you lose a bit on mileage when its wet, but isn't it better to be safe than slide off the road or into the car ahead????
    I think they are MUCH more quiet than the integrites
    - I work in a noisy enviroment, and any extra road noise drives me nuts...!
    I use 44/42 pressure. Have a portable compressor from Sears :rolleyes:

what ever- just have a blast!

20. Rangerdavid

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I pumped my hydroedges up to 42-40 today and i doesn't seem to have affected the ride any at all. They are much much quieter than the Integrities, and the mileage seems to be on its way back up to the mid 50's where it has been, except that its getting colder now, so I'm using the engine block heater now every morning (or night....)

So, thus far, gotta give the Hydroedge tires two thumbs up!!

B)