1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tires "So new they make a weird noise"?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by AStuke, Apr 13, 2011.

1. AStuke

AStuke New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Some of you know I took my 09 prius in to get looked at. We purchased it with 52k miles on it and they have brand new, never been driven on tires on them...

We brought it back in because it was going "Vvvvvt....vvvvvt.....vvvvvt..." that would get faster and louder with speed increase, but on the drivers side, enough to feel the vibration of the sound in the gas pedal. I took it in, they said they checked the brakes, the tires, the wheel barring, nothing was wrong.

They rotated the tires and told me nothing was wrong and that the sound I was hearing was tire noise and that once the tires 'broke in' some they would stop making the noise.

Car is under warranty and I'm still within my return guidelines. I've put brand new tires on many cars and never ever heard this before.

Anyone care to fill me in on what could be happening here? Are they right?

2. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Did they re-balance the tires? Maybe alignment is out?

3. AStuke

AStuke New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They rotated the tires and the sound is still going on. I do not know if they did an alignment or an electronic spin balance. I've taken it back there twice, they told me to take it to a third party, if I didn't believe them, and have it looked at then bring the paperwork to the dealership and they would do the work under warranty...

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like they are out of balance. If the sound changes when you steer to the left or right very quickly then it could be a wheel bearing.

This is especially true if you are feeling a vibration.

Tires should not make that noise even when new. I would tell them that they need to check the balance on a machine. An out of balance tire is not good for your suspension or gas mileage and it will cost you in the long run if it is out of balance and you don't get it fixed.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What is the make and model of the new tires?

6. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Did the sound change sides when they rotated the tires? If so, definitely tires. It could be a stone caught in the tread.

If not, it could be a backing plate or shield for the brakes rubbing.

7. AStuke

AStuke New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nope. They claim they rotated the tires. Same place, drivers side. They told me to give a few weeks of wear to see if it goes away...

I'm very confused and they don't seem to want to give me many answers except the same over and over.

8. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Get them to give you a signed letter stating that if this issue is not resolved within the warranty period, that they will honor the warranty for a specified period beyond it.

9. GSW

GSW PRIUS POWER

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    From the description it sounds like a tire rub?

10. AStuke

AStuke New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is under warranty up to 125k miles - bumper to bumper no exceptions.

I just think these mechanics are not the brightest crayons in the box.

11. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What kind of warranty are you referring to that is 125k? Warranties don't cover tires in most cases.

12. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    REALLY sounds like a wheel bearing. Does the noise change depending on what type of road surface you're driving on? As in...from concrete to asphalt, any difference? When you turn the wheel back and forth gently at speed does the noise change or even go away depending on which direction you're turning?

It can be very hard to make dealers believe you that theres a slight noise like that...frankly especially when you're a woman. I have a coworker that bought a CPO BMW X5. She has driven many BMWs for years and is a real auto-phile. She's flown to Germany to pick up her BMWs...serious enthusiast. So...she knows how a BMW should sound when being driven.

She had a similar noise, and went through several service writers at the dealer and had people give her BS responses like that, new tires, "its a heavy vehicle and the engine struggles" etc. She finally got the service manager to drive it with her in the car and he heard it. Sure enough...wheel bearing.

So I'd take it back. Unless there is something stuck in the treads of the tires or something like that, the new tires shouldn't cause a noise like that.

13. AStuke

AStuke New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sound doesn't change regardless of hard turning, terrain or gentle lane changes, consisent stead sound on the left side of the car. I told them the wheel bearing theory and they said they "generally don't go out on Prius"...

I made the salesman drive with me, hear the noise then take it out with the mechanic later. Two different mechanics at this dealership told my salesman and the lady at the front desk the same thing.

I got very upset the last time I was there and now I guess I'm too embarassed to go back. /sigh As if I need any other stressful anxiety riddled situation in my life right now...

14. AStuke

AStuke New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    And we purchased a 125k extended warranty, the sound is NOT the tires if they rotated them like they said and it's still in the same spot. We are inside of our return guidelines, I think. I'm just pissed and REALLY annoyed.

15. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would be too. :(

16. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Someone had asked and you never said if all the wheels were rebalanced? If no, have them rebalanced.

If the rebalance doesn't solve the problem, speak with the service manager. Have him ride in the car with you so he knows the noise you are talking about. Let him know you will be contacting Toyota Customer Satisfaction with your issues and feelings of being blown off b/c you are a woman. I guarantee this will get his attention. You can really light the fire under his butt by saying you will also notify the BAR (Bureau of Automotive Repair), or the equivalent government run department in your state, of your issues you have been having with this dealership and feelings of being blown off because you are a woman.

If you don't follow through with Toyota (and optional BAR), the manager may do nothing b/c he probablly hears a lot of idle threats. But if you actually voice your grievences, Toyota and the BAR will contact the service manager wanting to hear his side of the story. Fire lit, and it may get put out to your satisfaction.

Good luck.

17. AStuke

AStuke New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well my husband was with me the first time and they even gave me a rental for the day.

All they told me was that the tires were rotated.. sound same side, no change.

18. MattFL

MattFL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have had many different types of tires on my truck, some were very smooth and quiet and others were noisy and vibrated more. My point is, go to tirerack.com and look up the exact model tire that you have and read the reviews. If that model tire is noisy, someone will mention it in the review.

I also agree that a failing wheel bearing could be the cause. Maybe you can work a deal with the manager, he replaces the bearing and if that does not fix the problem then you agree to pay, but if it does then he covers it under warranty. Just because something "doesn't usually" fail does not mean that it never fails.

19. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thats another reason why its so hard to convince the service folks of the failure, because they're so rare. I've never replaced a wheel bearing on any car...ever...even cars with 150k+ miles. But...if the wheel bearing on a $60k BMW with 24k miles on it can fail...they can fail on a Prius too.

If it were wheel balance you'd be able to feel a throbbing vibration at speed...

Don't get upset, that just makes it worse. Stay polite, but firm. You INSIST that they diagnose this issue and fix the car...they'll find it. If you get hysterical they'll just think you're crazy and want you to go away.

20. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If it is the tires then tire rotation won't make the noise change sides, "rotation" these days is just exchanging front to back. Wheels don't change sides.
    It sounds like either bad balance or out of round tires. Any good tire shop can double check balance for you and won't charge much. Out of round is harder to deal with, but a Hunter Road Force equipped shop can check that if proper balancing doesn't do the trick. Basically the machine figures out where the tire is 'high' where the wheel is 'low' and the tech adjusts the rotation of the tire on the wheel to match. Obviously depending on how bad the wheel & tire are, it can either make a big difference or not much at all. I'm not sure what your recourse is if the tire is really bad.

- D