1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tires trashed after 3900 miles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Robert Taylor, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor New Member

I took the Prius by the Goodyear retail store two days ago. The man said that the entire alignment of the car had to be off for this kind of damage to the tires to have occured. He stated that the car carrier that ferries the cars from Japan lets the air out of the tires and chains them down so tight that the alignment is screwed up and that part of dealer prep for delivery should be a full alignment.

I called the dealer, they do not align the cars as part of prep. The car was aligned under warranty though, by the local dealer(I got the car out of state).

The tires can be trued, but the remaining life has been greatly shortened.

I intend to order some new Goodyear Comfortreds to put onto the car.

What should or can I do about this lost tire life?

Anyone have any advice?

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Destroying tires is really easy at low tire pressures.

What PSI were you using and how often did you check them?

3. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor New Member

35 front, 33 rear PSI.

That wasn't the problem, the gosh awful alignment was. The feedback from the local dealer doing the warranty work was that the car was badly out of alignment on the entire right side, just as the guy at the Goodyear retail shop has said. He said he had been with them since 1970, and the man did know what he was talking about in hindsight.

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Next question...

What does "trashed" mean?

If the tires were being checked routinely, the rapid loss of so much tread would have been noticed long before reaching the wear marks. If not, that would mean the alignment was fine originally then shifting later on.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just wait until your MPG starts going up with the good alignment!!

6. removeum

removeum Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    8) Robert Taylor,

Repeat after me, very slowly and comely! I will own Goodyear ComforTred tire in the near future, I will own Goodyear ComforTred tires in the near future, and I will own Goodyear ComforTred tires real soon!!!!!!!!

Ben

7. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a\";p=\"67207)</div>
    Trashed?

The Goodyear guy used the word ruined. The inside cupping I just did not notice, he saw it on three of the four tires, had me run my hand across them to feel it since I really couldn't see it until I felt it. I have barely functional eyesight, its corrected to about 20/35 or so with Toric contacts. I have extreme myopia, enherited. Its always been poor, I went through several grades of school not knowing that I could not see the blackboard. So much of the fine detail you take for granted I just cannot percieve.

There is a brand new FDA approved procedure to implant a corrective lense, I might qualify, I am checking into it.

They were not low, and have not been. Low pressures destroy tires and high pressures round off the inside tread. I have never gotten a new car out of alignment before, usually I do not knock a vehicle out of alignment even though I get them checked at the proper interval.

8. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(removeum\";p=\"67221)</div>
    Tire Rack is cheaper per tire for them than the Goodyear store by 27 dollars each! I will likely order them tomorrow.

I might ship the others to my brother, he might can use the remaining life on them after trueing. Maybe 5, 7 thousand miles of life will be left in them after getting them smoothed out again.

9. removeum

removeum Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    8) Robert Taylor,

Here in Omaha they have a tire company called Jensen Tires. I was able to get mine at $84.00 each. Have you checked Wal Mart and/or Sears?

Ben

10. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(removeum\";p=\"67228)</div>
    Walmart and Sams Club cannot order them yet. Sears I have not checked with yet.

NTB has them for 86 apiece.

11. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    When I first read your post I wondered how anyone could not notice such unusual and premature wear. But after comparing my Prius to my Jeep Grand Cherokee, I can see how you could overlook this problem until it was too late. The Prius is low to the ground, the body work hugs the tires, and with mud flaps installed, you have to get down on the ground to examine the tire tread. The easiest way to check the tire tread is to park with your wheels at an angle, so one part of the tire ends up sticking out for you to see.

With my Jeep, the wheel wells are huge, and it has a lot of ground clearance, and clearance around the tires, so it's easy to spot unusual tire wear when just walking up to it normally.