1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tires - what’s difference in load index and speed rating

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by C Clay, Mar 27, 2023.

1. C Clay

C Clay Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    DFA4AF06-1CA3-423F-A02F-497F5489A309.png I bought these tires about 65,000 miles/ 30 months ago, and they have performed awesomely. Just curious what the different is, in terms of the engineering and performance of the Prius, between 89S (recommended spec) vs 91T.

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    The 87 or 89 is the load rating (how heavy a car it can handle). A T-rated tire is safe at a sligthly faster speed than an S-rated tire (118 MPH vs 112 MPH). I buy H-rated tires for my cars which tend to be stronger and safer tires, but cost a bit more.

JeffD

3. C Clay

C Clay Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Would it be fair to say any alphabetical or numerical value higher than the OEM recommended is better, ie. 89S is the minimum standard? Always been curious. My main concern is ride, noise, driving in rain, and primary goal of maintaining MPG. Not asking for much here lol.

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you like going into sharp freeway turns at over 80mph then a better speed rating might make a difference. But in those driving conditions your aspect ratio of 65 is kinda dumb as you need a low profile tire of at least a 60 or lower if want to feel like your driving a sports car rather then the Prius version, which is more pretend than real.

As for the the rest of us who rarely drive our Prius outside of the slow lane because we like max MPG, then it makes no difference other than an Ecopia or Michelin Energy Saver pumped up over 40psi will give you the best gas mileage.

C Clay likes this.
  5. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I find that the H-rated Nokian WR series tires get great MPG as well and also handle bad weather better than the OE tires that came with my Prii.

JeffD

C Clay likes this.
  6. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Stiffer, more puncture resistant side walls. As long as you've got a spare onboard - you really don't need to worry about it much. I prefer 91 or better, but my Prime is a bit heaver and didn't come with a spare.

C Clay likes this.
  7. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Any comparison to an OEM tire will make most any after-market tire look great. OEM tires cost the car maker next to nothing because they buy so many at once and the quality of those tires is almost always a compromise in price over performance. Low Rolling Resistance (LRR) tires are essential if you want your Gen3 MPG to be closer to 60 than 50...

C Clay likes this.
  8. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    The Nokian WRs are LRR tires.

JeffD

C Clay likes this.