1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tires - what did you replace with?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by TorontoSusan, Nov 14, 2005.

1. TorontoSusan

TorontoSusan New Member

It was this forum that first brought the tire situation to my attention ... in Canada, the Prius comes with Goodyear Integrity tires. And then I looked them up - eeek! even Goodyear rates them as just average.

So I've been checking, and think I'm going to replace the tires (with less than 1500 km on them!) with Goodyear Assurance or Michelin HydroEdge ... both rated highly in the Consumer Reports (11/05) article.

I'm worried about the snow & ice coming soon, and don't have a comfort level with the Integritys.

I know this is an old subject, for for those who also replaced the tires, what did you replace them with?

2. HeyKB

HeyKB Not so new member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I *really* don't mean this to sound snooty, so please consider it a constructive suggestion.

Use the Search capability and look at the many, many posts about tires here.

Thanks.

3. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As HeyKB states - there's lots of posts on this already.

Anyway, I wouldn't outright replace the integrities. I think they're fine for warm weather driving. I would simply do what I did. Put snow tires on for the winter. I actually haven't put them on yet, but I bought Blizzak Revo 1's and will be putting them on as soon as snow is in the forecast.

4. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I thought the OEM tires were unsafe on wet roads. I now drive on wet roads and the car does a lot better. It now takes effort to spin the tires...

5. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Are you still using the oem tires?.. and if not what did you go to.. and what mileage effects did you have?

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Those standard factory tires worked fine for me over the first winter in Minnesota. But when one got punctured, I jumped at the opportunity to upgrade.

HydroEdge is what I chose. They are absolutely amazing in the rain. On snow, the are very impressive all-season tires, but not true snow tires. They'll slip some on aggressive forward acceleration. But when it comes to taking corners hard, they don't slip; the thread is extremely well designed for gripping at angles. The performance was quite pleasing the second winter.

The third winter driving my HSD Prius starts... gasp ...tomorrow! The forecast is for 3 to 7 inches of snow. I'm very happy with my decision to upgrade.

7. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    New tires included in signature.

MPG drop for 12,000 miles to around 43MPG. Lately I can average maybe 45 if I just kick around home/work, and a road-trip will go over 50 if I stick to back roads.

I don't want my tires to ever be as loose as the OEM's were, so I'll be happy with what I get out of them until it's time for them to go. Given that HydroEdge never showed as big a drop for some people, I may try them next time, from a shop that'll swap them for TripleTreds if I'm unhappy...

8. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

John.. what effect did they have on mileage?... I know you kept track! :rolleyes:

9. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    you say intially they dropped to 43... what was your MPG before the switch?
    I"m trying to see what MPG effect the tire had... its hard to tell based on you MPG reading alone.... from this end, I see quite wide ranges of what people get, so I don't know?..... 1 MPG loss?...5?

10. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Of the many, many posts about tire upgrades not one that I remember has resulted in increased mpgs, but many have reported a decrease.

11. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< Any new tires would have a temporary negative effect on mileage due to the "moulding tits" on the tire which will wear off. The new tires need to take on a "set" to the car depending a bit on exact alignment. Interesting how Prius drivers are so ultra-sensitive to fuel economy. New tires on ANY car would have the same effect.

Insofar as the OEM "Integrity" tires, I have ~13,500 miles on them, have rotated on the 5,000 mile schedule and they appear to have minimal wear. I note no bad features to handling or brakeing.

12. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I"m sure you are right about affecting all cars... the prius drivers are way sensitive, because they have a constant readout of MPG!....

But small differences get amplified much more when you are highly efficient... 50mpg w/5% loss is much more noticable than 20mpg w/5% loss.

13. Bill60546

Bill60546 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Upgraded to Toyo Spectrums. No more slipping and the car drives like a go cart in non-snow conditions.

14. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's a complicated question. For one thing, since the tires should last about twice as long as the OEM tires, you get to skip an entire break-in cycle... which is an obvious efficiency benefit. Another thing is not quite having enough comparison data available. Yet another is I do drive a little bit different now, due to the improved handling.

In short, I figure there was about a 1.5 MPG drop overall.

In long, refer to this webpage.

15. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    thanks John.. I would call that reasonalble records!..... Toyota ought to pay you for all the archieving you have done on thier car!...

Anyway... that sounds like alot of benifits for the minor loss involved.

I suppose its against the laws of physics to expect better traction and handling out of a tire and still get better MPG in the process? After all traction does equal resistance, which equals less mileage.

I appreciate your records and I know others have found them invaluable... your site was the first resource I encounted when learning about the prius!.....there is so much there, it would take me quite a while to cover it all!....

Quite and achievement!... thanks..

16. MNPrius

MNPrius New Member

Well John - in addition to your own website for which I also thank you, I thank you for the above comment. I have factory standard for this winter - I'll advise you - it's way to early for a winter storm! :blink:

17. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My OEM average was 47MPG, and I managed 58MPG one 64-mile trip. Never see that anymore with TriplTreds, but I do see over 50MPG fairly often...

18. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I wonder if it would be a good alternative to find a tire that has tread pattern that is no more aggressive in its pattern than the OEM, but just better quality rubber and maybe even strong cording "or better ply rating" to prevent flats etc so easily... so as to last more miles, better stopping?

Maybe MPG would not suffer then?

19. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    But what about mileage?...

20. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Maybe creating a new forum would help, eh? Just call it Tires and Treads or something like that. It was raining pretty hard this morning on the way in to the office and my Triple Treds worked like a charm. The car felt very secure on the road; almost as if it wasn't raining at all. They're great tires, so far, even if the mileage suffers a bit.