1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tires

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Wisconsonite, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Wisconsonite

Wisconsonite New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I need new tires for my 2009 Prius. I am looking at Nokian WR G2 or Goodyear Assurance Comfortred Touring. Can anyone give me some feedback. Just don't know what to do. I live in Wisconsin so I need something good in ice and snow.

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    1 person likes this.
  3. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just put a set of Goodyear Fuel Max on my 09. I bought them based on a friend's experience with them on his 06. I bought the standard size for my Prius.

4. okiebutnotfrommuskogee

okiebutnotfrommuskogee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I use Michelin Hydroedge on my 07. Good for rain, maybe not so good for snow. When we get snow or ice, I leave the Prius parked and drive my AWD car.

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Of the two, the Nokians will perform far better in winter conditions, though they will likely wear faster. The comfortreds will last longer in summer weather, but not give as good traction in ice and snow. The Goodyear TripleTreds seem to be a better 'all season' compromise.

6. LIPriusFreak

LIPriusFreak Can I haz JDM?

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have GOodyear Assurance Fuel Max's on my 06 in the bigger size (195/60/15)...they are quiet good riding tires but when inflated to 40psi+ they get scary at highway speed. They also suck in rain and I can only fathom how bad they'd be in the snow.

I have other cars to drive in anything but sunny weather though

7. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I swap a pair of Nokian snow tires with high performance summer tires twice a year. It's a decent compromise. The Nokians are fantastic in the snow.

8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you need real winter tires then look into the Bridgestone Blizzak W60 or Michelin X-ice Xi2 tires. I wouldn't mess around with an all-season tire if you want maximum safety in heavy snow or icy regions. Most people that live in harsh climates buy a set of steel winter wheels and put studless snow tires on them then switch to summer or all-season tires during milder temperatures.

Also read this thread for tire tests. Winter tires are at the bottom of post #1

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-fuel-economy/98592-new-tire-tests-tirerack-com.html

9. Daves09prius

Daves09prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I ordered my 205/60R15 General AltiMax HP tires from www.tireteam.com

http://www.tireteam.com/Tires/Genera...480550000.html

They were $64 each and shipping was only $37 and were delivered UPS ground. Ordered on friday, and delivered on the following monday!

Thank you for shopping with TireTeam.com
    Order Summary
    Qty / Price / Subtotal / Item
    ================================================== ====================
    4 / $64.86 / $259.44 / (2056015GEN15480550000) 205/60R15 GENERAL ALTIMAX HP BW
    1 / $ 0.00 / $ 0.00 / State Tire Fee
    1 / $37.39 / $ 37.39 / Shipping
    1 / $ 0.00 / $ 0.00 / Sales Tax
    ================================================== ====================
    Total: 296.83

I took the tires to my local Wal-Mart in Waynesboro, PA and had ALL FOUR mounted, balanced, and installed on the car for only $27.56 Yes, that's all four!(I think they forgot to charge me something, cause I was expecting to pay much more.) I watched and they used a torque wrench to tighten down the lug nuts. I was so worried that they would hammer them on with the impact wrench and snap some studs (like so many garages do). I was really impressed with their service and would recommend the Waynesboro Wal-mart tire center to anyone that may live here locally.

After having the tires installed I went to the gas station and added more air, they set the tires to 32psi I took them up to 40 psi on all 4 tires.

So if anyone is looking for new tires on a budget check out what tireteam.com has to offer, and have your local garage or Wal-mart tire center install your tires.

Here is a link to Tirerack.com regarding the General AltiMax tire, and the General AltiMax Arctic Tire.
    Tire Search Results

10. Priusbest

Priusbest New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have comfort tread they were great when new now halfway through tread they spin on dry pavement, hydroplane on rainy roads the comfort is gone,never buy them again.

11. litesong

litesong Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We have 35,000 miles on our Comfortread tires. Loved them for instant response, grip & smoothness. Have switched wheels/tires once to another car & they continue to be very good. Look like they'll go 60,000+ miles.