1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Titanium lug nuts.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by DocVijay, Mar 24, 2006.

1. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Does anyone know of a good place to get a set of titanium lug nuts? I've found plenty of lightweight aluminum nuts, but titanium is just harder and more durable. Thanks in advance.

2. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Only place I could find was here:
    http://www.allstarperformance.com/product.htm?prod=377

Don't know anythign about them.

3. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Yeah, I saw those, but they won't fit the wheels on a Prius...

Too short and too wide.

4. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I poked around a little more and didn't have any luck either. Maybe they don't exist for light passenger cars. I was surprised how light they are, pretty cool.

5. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

Doc -- you're going off the deep end!

C'mon, I understand your other performance mods, heck I'm even following along in my own timid way with some of 'em. But titanium lug nuts??!? To reduce the rotating mass by a few ounces?

What am I missing here?

6. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

The deep end? How do you think I learned to swim! I AM the deep end!

Anyway, I'll try and reason this out logically (wish me luck).

A standard set of lug nuts weigh about 60-70 grams each. For a set of 20 that's around 2.5 to 3 pounds of unsprung rotational weight. Now with Ti lugs, at around 19 grams a piece, the total weight is just over 13 ounces.

I know it doesn't seem like much, but with the superlight wheel tire combo I plan on getting, I could save a whopping 3 pounds off each coorner by using Ti lugs. I could save 2.5 pounds by using aluminum lugs, but for some reason I just don't trust Al for this application.

Anyway I found a couple of places that have them. The easiest place has a nifty set that costs, are you ready, $500 for a set of 20! They look nice though...

[Broken External Image]:http://www.aj-racing.com/catalog/files/products/images/t1r/wheels/nuts.jpg

The only other place is a shop in England. Their's are much more reasonable, at about $10 each (£5) . That's still $200 for the set. Oh well, sometimes you have to spend to get the best...

Besides, these are more my style:
    [​IMG]

http://www.priracing.co.uk/product.php?xProd=912

Anyway, the wheels I'm going to get are $491 each, so whats $50 more on each corner...

So, I think my explanation was sorts logical, but that still doesn't get around the fact that I'm totally nuts!

7. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    OK I have a titanium cook set and fuel bottle for backpacking is this the same thing? BTW they were a bit pricey. I gave them all to my son who goes backpacking during the summer for a living. He needs it more than me. B) So how cheep can you go with this and does REI carry them?

8. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

I love that Ti camping stuff, but then again, I love anything titanium or carbon fiber.

Yes, it is the same material as the camping gear (well maybe a different alloy, but still same three metals).

Titanium is always an alloy of titanium, aluminum, and vanadium. One of the stronger alloys (and harder to work with) is the 6Al/4V alloy. AS the name suggests, it's 90% titanium, 6% aluminum, and 4% vanadium. I don't imagine this is what these may be made of as it's very hard to work with.

Does REI (one of my favorite stores!) carry them? I wish. I have my annual dividend burning a hole in my desk (don't keep it in my pocket...) and would love to spend it on a set ot Ti lugs. But no luck, not much car stuff at REI.

Anyway, I may ust end up using aluminum and get an extra set in case any of the lugs start to strip or such. Probably won't happen, but like I said, I'm a bit wary of Al in this application. Shouldn't be though. I've had two Al bike frames, and my old GT Zaskar was the stiffest SOB I ever rode!

9. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yep.. you're nuts. ... but see.. on the other hand that's just what makes you awesome. I admire your mods... although i swear this is a space for that brace. hehe.

10. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There has to be something wrong with the numbers here; the stock lug nuts can't weigh so much that by replacing them with titanium you save 3 pounds per wheel..... per wheel??????????

11. idaten

idaten New Member

I read that the same way initially. On rereading, i think it's wheel, say 2.5 lb, and lug nuts, 0.5 lb savings, respectively. By the way, is that a Somali or Abby? We've got 3 Somali's at home, and they're a riot.

Doc, if you do this, check to see if you need to use a Ti antiseize. Good bicycle shops should have have it.

-- rick

12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    boeing has a surplus store where they sell misc items. i bought a hand full of titanium 5/8 and 7/8 nuts and bolts. i only bought them because titanium is stronger than steel, lighter than aluminum and they were the biggest items in the bin. (they sold by the lb) i have them as curiosity items. they are huge and i actually convinced a few people that they were for a kids play set because most wouldn t believe that the bolts were metal.

i actually had one lady who insisted on knowing the manufacturer and name of the toy so she could write in and complain since the 5/8" nuts were choking hazards. when i tried to tell her the truth, she went absolutely bezerk accusing me of not caring for the safety of her future children....

13. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

0.5 pounds saved per wheel by using hte Ti nuts. It is 3 pounds total saved on each corner with the lightweight wheels/tires/nuts together. For only the nuts, it would be around a half pound saved per wheel. Sorry for the confusion...

Yes, I'll use anti-seize if I get the Ti nuts. I already have some, as I use Ti hardware on my bike.

14. 200Volts

200Volts Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First,I have never heard of Ti lug nuts or studs, so I have no experience with them.

But, while Ti is very "strong" and light it is also very brittle (in general terms). Used in race car applications it is constantly inspected for cracks. I would torgue them very carefully and inspect them off the wheel near the the threads on a regular basis.

Aw crap, just throw them on and drive fast...

15. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

It also depends on the alloy used. Also, the lugs are not in a particularly high weight bearing area. In parts that suffer a lot of bending, twisting or other such things, they are certainly prone to cracking. HOWEVER, this is only in regards to seriously high stress situations. Even if I were to AutoX my Prius, I doubt the lugs would ever suffer this sort of failure. My mountai bike has titanium bits at all the highest stress areas, because they will never wear out and need to be replaced like aluminum or even steel. Did I mention that I love titanium? Even my eyeglasses are titanium!!! The only thing sexier than Ti is carbon fiber. I was just doing some research, and for a mere $42k you can repace all the body panels on a Lotus Elise with carbon fiber parts, including the doors! The temptation! Now all I need is my Elise (only 2 more years)...

As for your second comment... I plan to! :D

16. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    At $50. per wheel to save 8 oz works out to $6.25/oz. At $491. (wheel) + $72. (tire) to save 40 oz works out to $14.08/oz. Those lug nuts are actually a much better buy than the wheel/tire combo!

17. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    titanium is still reliable enough to be used on airplanes. so i doubt that a wheel lug which does not see anywhere near the same amount of stress would be subject to any real risk factor.

torque it to its specs and call it good. same as any other bolt

18. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Great, all I needed was some sort of logical reasoning to my insanity. My wife hates you now. :p

Dave, Yeah, I'm not concerned about any stress failures in Ti lugs. Aluminum maybe, but titanium, no. Besides, a quality set of Al lugs will still cost you $70, so the extra bit of cash is worth the reassurance of strength.

19. MtnTraveler

MtnTraveler New Member

Note: some Ti alloys are stronger than some steel alloys. But in general, steel would be stronger than Ti. For example, on aircraft the strongest Ti that I know about is 180 ksi ultimate strength. The strongest steel is 280 ksi (strongest "corrosion resistant" steel is about 240 ksi, verrrry expensive). Strongest aluminum is on the order of 75 ksi.

Titanium weighs about 1/2 of steel (.16 lb/cu in for Ti, .28 in for steel, .10 for aluminum). All three materials have approximately the same strength/weight ratio at their best alloys.

Ti is softer than steel (would strip easier). Also it's more flexible (modulus of elasticity) than steel.

I don't know what alloy is used for car lug nuts. But Ti nuts are used all over airplanes. Nonetheless, I'd hate to have a lug nut fail. That happened to my mom during WWII. She was driving on a mountain road, and the wheel fell off! Yikes, that was scary.

20. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Rick-
    He is an Abyssinian named Cairo; he is the ruler of the house and just to smart for his own good. He is so much like a person is cracks me up. Inside cat only; never been outside. His brother is a tabby named Murphy. They get along great.
    I would love 3 of them but would spend all my time playing with them.