1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

title copy in car ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by stock, Oct 27, 2008.

1. stock

stock Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Should one keep a photocopy of one's title in the actual car, or does this serve no use and/or is asking for trouble?

2. nick88

nick88 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    All you need is insurance and registration.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In California the vehicle registration form and proof of auto insurance must be shown to a policeman upon request. There is no requirement to display the title document, which should be kept in a safe location until one is ready to sell the vehicle. Therefore I conclude that keeping a photocopy of the title in the vehicle serves no useful purpose in CA.

4. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    if you kept the title in the car i am sure someone could find a way to steal the title or get a copy of it and then sell your car?? that sounds like a bad idea. most people i know keep their title at home or in a safety deposit box, i've never heard of anyone carrying a copy around

more on california..

california requires the registration or a facsimile copy of it with you when you drive...

if the car is left parked and unattended, it does not require the registration to be in the car

california does not regulate the actual dimensions of the facsimile copy., you could
    resize it all you want. i have mine printed on 2" x 3", or you could go 8" x 11" or more

5. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    DO NOT store the title in the car... even a copy. If it gets confiscated, you are open to losing the vehicle. As other have said here, you are only obligated to keep your insurance and registration. I would highly suggest you keep these in the glovebox out of sight. Back in the 60s and 70s people used to keep their registration on the visor or attach it to the steering column. Vandals would look at it, jot down the address, and burglarize the home while you're away. Today, with identity theft such a huge issue, I'd keep as much information about you as private as possible.

6. Neddleton

Neddleton Yacht Club Prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Wow, I though us Prius owners were the smart segment of society.... people thinking about the future and the betterment of fellow mankind.

Play it safe, put the title in a fireproof safe and take the bus if you live in a high crime section of town. Please please do not leave the title in your car, the urban areas are full of wrong doers or worse.

Be safe,

Neddleton