1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TJ climbs up on his Internet Pulpit: My Space, or My God

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by TJandGENESIS, Dec 26, 2007.

1. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    TJ climbs up on his Internet Pulpit:
    My Space, or My God.

There is this girl that a young man I know, wants to have sex with; and I won’t even begin to tell you about how his ‘home girl’ is allowing herself to be internet bait (on My Space), with her pictures...And when we (his mom and I), talked about that to him, his mom, who saw the picture, did not see anything inappropriate with the scantily clad young girl of 15 going on 22 in the picture...I mean, if she can’t see it, then nothing I say will change him, or in the larger picture of things, will mean much to anyone.

Maybe this will sound alarmist, but the Jamie Lyne Spears pregnancy situation, is the end of morality; suddenly it’s going to be okay to be pregnant and 16 and hey, bonus, if the father of the baby is over 18, no problem; no one has to get into trouble.

I know, I know, I am the liberal preacher your mother warned you about, but here is the deal: Preacher or not, in my view, it’s just not right to be 16 and being a unwed, mother. I mean, unless you are Mary.

But come on. Ask yourselves: When did this train leave the station? Well, I can say that it may have left the station, when a 15/16 year old Britney Spears, pranced around in a school girl outfit, being willing jailbait to any male over 18, and we as a society, did nothing about it. We stood by, as this young girl, she just danced, touched herself, and moaned that she wanted to be hit one more time. Baby. And the train picked up speed, as her videos got more and more suggestive, and no one raised a hand to stop it.

Hardly. In fact, we as a society, we rewarded this behavior with untold millions in CD sales for her. We allowed her to say on the one hand, she was a virgin, when we knew that was not true, and then we watched as she got married to a guy with the moral compass of Hugh Hefner, and then as she popped out two babies in rapid succession as she drove around with babies on her lap, whilst smoking and talking on the cell phone, running over people’s feet, and disregarding her own health, and the babies health, and partying like she was single, and just in general being such a poor role model, that in the end when she got divorced for the second time in less then five years, she managed to make her lousy husband look good. And just like that sentence is long, it also says something:

We have allowed the beast to rise. We have allowed the beast to become real. No matter if you buy into 666 or any of that, the beast, the decline of Western Civilization as we know it, has been born. We are now in the generation when untold kids will be born (in and out of wedlock) to millions of teenagers who see no problem in being a parent and a alcoholic pill popping cigarette smoking partying person. We have let the beast out of the cage, and there is no going back, none. We will see this, mark this grumpy old preacher from Dallas’s word.

You know, what if this was your brother who was sleeping with your younger friend, a 16 year old girl? I mean, that shouldn’t even be tolerated outside the church, am I right? And yet, as a society, it seems not to even faze us! Shouldn’t this action break our hearts? Shouldn’t we all be brought to our knees in anger and tears? Why isn’t this person, why isn’t he confronted, and then drag his sorry butt to justice?

You know, what I would do? If I was able to be on TV, and I had a voice, I would tell everyone, that it is just wrong. We can no longer just look the other way, and hope it goes away. We need to as a society, we need to deal with it.

We need to get everyone together on this. We need to hold this man up to a court of his peers, and see if this man can defend his actions. But if he can’t, then we need to make him know that it’s devastating to him, and of course, embarrassing to all of us.

It’s far better to deal with this now, and get it over with, then wait till it’s too late.
    You know, in the long run, this whole attitude that we as a society have about this, pisses me off. We pass it off as a small thing, but you know, it’s nothing like that. Follow me here: When you think about it, yeast, is a ‘small thing’ but that small thing can make a whole loaf of bread pretty fast, said the man with the bread machine.

What we need to do, is get rid of this ‘yeast’. Our real true identity is somewhat plain, maybe even flat, and really, should not be puffed up with the wrong ingredients. I have said, in earlier DIN’S that may perhaps, that we shouldn’t make ourselves at home among the sexually freakazoids. And that still holds true, you know. I didn’t mean that you should have nothing at all to do with campers of that sort. Or with crooks, whether blue- or white-collar. Or with spiritual phonies, for that matter. You’d have to leave the world entirely to do that!

But I am saying that you shouldn’t act as if everything is just fine when one of your very own companions is promiscuous or crooked, is flip with or rude to friends, gets drunk or becomes greedy and stupid. We can’t just go along with this, treating it as acceptable behavior. We just can’t. Not anymore. I’m not responsible for what the others do, but don’t we have some responsibility for those within our community of people on this planet?

Those of us who believe in God, often say: God decides on the outsiders. Well, true dat, but we also need to decide when our society is out of line and, if necessary, clean house.

2. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm with ya man. We really failed our kids. We let "T and A" rule the top 40 - it's much easier for the music business than having talented people that can craft real music. Let the computer make the music and have tramps make it appealing. Video really did kill the radio star. The music industry wonders why their sales are falling and then decide it was peer to peer file sharing. The truth is there is nothing worth buying. Meanwhile we allowed a whole generation of kids to think its ok for them to be sexualized by this hollow culture of bling and booty and for young girls to be exploited in the name of twisted "girl power" feminism. I recommend for anybody who knows a young girl, to give her this book: Girls Gone Mild

3. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hey! I like yeast. I can assure we would not be having this discussion without Saccharomyces cerevisiae.

But seriously, I am less concerned with the sex as I am with the pregnancy itself if it was unintended.

Sex is good. Can we agree to that?

The failure here is sex education and the lack of prophylaxis. Teen pregnancies were previously reduced but are again on the rise due likely to abstinence education which has been shown not to work.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Punishing the scum bags, while satisfying won't fix the problem.
    Parents must talk to kids...almost daily, about this stuff. The must know that if they decide to have sex that there are proper ways to go about it and proper people to choose to do it with and proper ways to prevent STDs and pregnancy and the MUST know that they can come to their parent for that information.
    But it rarely happens. We can't even get parents to make their kids wear seat belts or bike helmets.

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    TJ: For a little while now, all your posts show up on my screen right justified. I don't know if this is something at my end or yours, or if it is intentional, but it does make your posts harder to read for me. I just find standard left justification easier on my weak, old eyes.

Now to the substance of your post:

There's nothing new here: Men and boys of all ages have been getting very young girls pregnant since there have been men and boys and girls and women. And mothers have run the gamut from very responsible to very irresponsible. And while I dislike the kind of popular culture you are lambasting in your post, the problem is that censorship leads to abuse of government power, and "morality" imposed from the pulpit leads to pogroms.

On the other hand, kids provided with good solid sex education and access to birth control, on average postpone their first sexual activity to a later age, and are more likely to use birth control when they do have sex.

A consumer-based economy, which requires people to buy stuff they don't need with money they don't have in order to continue functioning, is going to promote the kind of businesses that push damaging and unhealthy products on the public, from gas-guzzling SUVs to music videos praising lifestyles of greed, sex, and violence. Advertising is scientifically designed to foment desire and impatience. "You need this NOW!!! Not tomorrow. Don't wait! You need it NOW."

I don't think the issue of teen pregnancy and irresponsible parents can be separated from our national state religion, which is greed.

6. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Much of society's problems stem from bad parenting and we have too many (probably about 50%) of our births are unplanned by unprepared people. That's no way to run a civilization. Fertile people shouldn't be having sex period, unless they are willing and able to properly raise the child that might result from it. Contraceptives can fail and a human life is too precious to gamble with, in my opinion.

Public abstinence programs have little chance of working when music videos, magazines, and movies aimed at our tweenagers have strong sexual themes. I won't be relying on public abstinence programs - my kids will be able to lecture on the subject by the time they are ten. Thank goodness we'll be homeschooling our kids.

7. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Right up until your last sentence, I thought this was a very good, well-thought-out message of your personal views...
    You start talking about "cleaning house," however, then you've stepped over into imposing morality as law, and punishing [or killing?] those that do not abide by your rules.

I'm with Daniel on this one... education, information, and recognition that sexually mature people have sex, regardless of their age, and making the appropriate choices concerning that.

It might be better if more parents got their heads out of the sand and paid attention to their own kids, and listened to them.

8. TJandGENESIS

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I am not for killing those who do wrong; that is beyond me. And I am not for imposing morality on people. I am for people behaving, using common sense, perhaps, for a lack of better word, morality may be the choice of word to use here.

I don't want one to follow my rules, but I do think that as a society, we need to return to 'higher ground', before we descend much further.

More later.

9. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    My bother articulated an interesting observation:

Our parent's generation (raised in depression era) did not have many things they needed (including food).

Our generation (baby boomers) had the things we needed but not everything we wanted.

The present generation can have the things they need and want.

10. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As a parent of two teenage girls, yeah, I see a problem. But, bad examples can be just as instructive as good examples. I'm not sure the behaviour is all that different, really, but the exposure certainly is. What used to be hushed is practically an industry unto itself. Sadly, the last forty years of hard-fought women's liberation is not exactly well-appreciated. And, why is it easier to bring people in to the world than it is to get a driver's licence?

11. TJandGENESIS

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Maybe the eMpTy V did have a lot to do with it, but we also need to Cowboy up, and take responsibility for letting it get this far.

12. TJandGENESIS

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I like sex. Sex is indeed, great. But in this case, the way that we seem to let a famous 16 year old be almost proud of her pregnancy, and that her over 18 year old boyfriend is going to get away with it, seems to me, the problem here. I am well aware of teenagers boinking since the boink was invented, and I too was a horny 16 year old man who had sex before marriage. But at the very least, I wore protection. And in hindsight, I wish I had waited, so it would be all that more special when I got married.

Old fashioned as that may sound.

I realize, that I am in the minority, and all, but sometimes we must say 'enough' and do something about it.

13. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Last week I caught an 10 year old girl giving oral to a 13 year old boy in a local park. I thought they were more of the 14-16 age, I got a sick feeling when they told me their birth dates..

I had their parents come pick them up, while waiing for the parents the girl said she didnt see what the big deal was she and her friends do it all the time to boys. :eek:

I explained this to the parents who seemed unfased and where more disgruntled at me for interupting their day..

I took down the nessary info and turned it over to DCF. as there may be a problem in the home..

So yes I see it every day, todays parents are not being like their parents. but are letting the child run their own lives.

On another board I was adding my 2 cents to a senceless blog on lowering the drinking age to 17 blog, when it dawned on me the author was a female aged 16, pregnant, married to a 20 year old and had a 2yr old child.!!! I thought OMG, where were the parents?????

She explained that her mother had her at a young age too. Then it "clicked" she was just following her examples. The girl said she was an adult because she was married, I told her NO she was still a child..

This stuff just Blows me Away..! :(

14. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Becides, Myspace is the internet shooping place for Pedephiles.. You see and hear it all the time on the News.

15. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This is an interesting discussion. Not only do we have the pop stars glorified at an obscenely young age, but reality television sure does its part to glorify not only the young girls getting pregnant, but also the young men who are getting girls pregnant left and right with little/no regard to the child's future. Occasionally I come across the Maury Povich show and am always disgusted when some young girl is on there for the 20th time checking to see if some dude is the father of her child, with the audience clapping and cheering, and the dude all macho and proud that he's got a dozen other offspring, all by a variety of other girls, like it's some kind of notch in the belt that makes him a 'real' man. These are not celebrities, but regular people from regular cities across the USA, learning that they can be a star for a day. It's sickening, but I feel like it's so far out of control, like hycamguy said, these kids are just following their example.

16. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    if we permit it on the tv, that's a major step toward permitting it in real life. like it or not, tv/the media is the director of our culture.

stupid decisions are portrayed and GLORIFIED on tv for the sake of ratings, not for the sake of the people watching... it's the well known car crash effect. as humans we tend to gape and stare at people who made major screw-ups. even if it's a fake storyline on the idiot box and nobody's future is really in jeopardy.

kids are all in a hurry to grow up. nobody seems to want to tell them that being an adult isn't all that great sometimes, that [provided the right circumstances] childhood is far more fun than facing real life's trials and tribulations. and that looking before you leap can make those trials and tribulations far harder than they need to be if you're just patient.

time gives you perspective. these kids don't have that time yet, and the people- supposedly the parents- who have the time/perspective don't share it. and here i thought the job of a parent was to properly prepare their children to be functional adults the best they could. a half hour open conversation about sex could cause an otherwise peer-pressured misinformed kid to think twice or at least protect herself. a half hour of everyone's time can make an entire lifetime- no- multiple lifetimes much easier.

it's a huge disconnect where i see the tv raising kids more than parents. i was pretty much left to myself to figure things out as a kid... i'm fortunate that i didn't make too many colossal mistakes that would affect me for the rest of my life. really, at 25 and nearing the end of my to-date-lifelong quest for a comfortable quiet life... i wonder what the hell i was thinking seeking out the things i did at 15.

and yet, it's the kids who have it the best with parents who care for them, that seem to piss and moan about it the most... isn't that ironic...

17. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Wow Galaxy very well said!!:)

I was just talking to a GIRL, shes 19, has a 4yr old son & another on the way, she's been married for 3 yrs and her husban is 21.

When I asked her about her age she became defencive and started explaining why things ended the way they had. And that there was nothing wrong with being married and young after all her mom married at 15, and her older brother was a year old at the time of the wedding....

I just thought to myself you poor child...

18. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    What's with so many people spelling "defensive" with a "c" all of a sudden? I know the spelling here on PC is atrocious, but this seems to be a new one.

19. TJandGENESIS

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What a great post. I have more to say, but I am sick right now. However, I will say that I too, am surprised that I managed to survive my teen years. I was into many things that should have damaged me.

And I won't get all defensive about it ;)

20. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    feel better first, TJ, we can discuss more later :)