1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TMC but No Guideance

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by theblackbag, Nov 27, 2007.

1. theblackbag

theblackbag New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am trying to get my NAV setup the way I want and I am now not even sure if it is possible. I want to get two users setup the following way

USER 1 : Full voice guidance and traffic alerts, no automatic rerouting around traffic problems

USER 2 : No voice guidance, full traffic alerts, no automatic rerouting around traffic problems

I want to use USER 2 when I travelling a route I am familar with and just want to know about problems on the road.

I have USER 1 setup, but cannot seem to get USER 2 right. When I turn off voice guidance the traffic alerts stop too. Any ideas?

2. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(blackbag @ Nov 27 2007, 04:04 AM) [snapback]544620[/snapback]</div>
    i did not know that the stock prius navigation system supported traffic reporting and rerouting
    i dont have nav

3. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(blackbag @ Nov 27 2007, 02:04 AM) [snapback]544620[/snapback]</div>

aww man, the UK Prius' supports Traffic?

UK > US

4. theblackbag

theblackbag New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Nov 27 2007, 04:42 PM) [snapback]544720[/snapback]</div>
    The US one doesn't?

Its one of the reasons I went for the built in Satnav (apart from the fact having sucker marks on your windscreen now appears to be reason enough for toerags to smash a window search the car for a Tomtom).

Ian.

5. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(blackbag @ Nov 27 2007, 09:49 AM) [snapback]544725[/snapback]</div>
    Nope. Very, very few cars do with a factory nav system. And even then you are forced to use the XM Radio service if you want it, which is annoying since I prefer Sirius.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(blackbag @ Nov 27 2007, 08:49 AM) [snapback]544725[/snapback]</div>
    Wow... I leave my suction cup on the windshield and no broken window yet. I have seen a few with even their satnavs stuck on the window! :blink: I'm not there yet and I probably will never be. I don't even leave anything on the seat, let alone on the windshield.

7. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(blackbag @ Nov 27 2007, 11:49 AM) [snapback]544725[/snapback]</div>
    Wow... I didn't know the UK Prius did traffic either. Very cool. B)

The idea is of traffic awareness is great, but the XM NavTraffic is very limited at this time, clearly a technology in it's very early stages.

As shown in the maps, it can primarily indicate "incidents" (accidents), but very little congestion support. Looking at Toronto, it ONLY shows flow for the Gardiner expressway... that's it. At least in places like NYC it seems to be more widespread.

On the positive side, I am happy to see coverage has even grown since I checked a few months ago, when the only Canadian city it covered was Toronto. I now see Vancouver and Montreal are also on the map. :p

Would be really cool if Toyota were able to update the 5th Gen Nav firmware to support this feature (if you add the overpriced XM Receiver, of course), but I guess the chance of that happenining is slim to none. More chance of seeing it on the 6th Gen Nav... <_<

Speaking of which, does anyone know when the next generation is due? I see the 2009 Corolla will have a DVD Nav option that supports XM NavTraffic - I assume this will be the 6th generation? :huh:

Sorry if I am going a bit OT...

8. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I expect them to switch to the Pioneer-developed system seen in the new Scions. I wouldn't be surprised if they changed the graphics to separate Scion from Toyota.

9. theblackbag

theblackbag New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The UK TMC data is delivered via RDS on FM. No such thing as satelite radio over here.

I understand the data comes from a company that collates the input from a bunch of fleet tracking companies, they see a bunch of trucks not moving on the M1, flag an incident. But there must be more than that, becuase it will also say stuff like accident or broken down car ahead. All the UK roadworks are definatly loaded on manually.

Its pretty cool and has saved me plenty of time already. Seems to do a better job than the updates I used to get via GPRS on my tomtom, and it's free. It's far better than traffic alerts on the radio, which are great but don't really help you re-route to avoid problems, and if you are unfamilar with the area knowing there is a problem on Honeypot Lane in Little Snackwinpolestreet can be less than useful.

Just wish I could only have traffic info without the car constantly telling me where to go when I already know.