1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TMC on Prius 2006 IPA

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base Articles Discussion' started by acemtp, Feb 18, 2006.

1. acemtp

acemtp New Member

On new Prius 2006, the TMC system is ready to work. Some people with the SolPack version (it's the version with JBL and GPS) already see it working. There's a TMC logo on the map and a "button" TMC on the "Menu" key.

On my French Prius 2006 with the IPA (so without JBL), this option seems to be not available. The logo is never displayed and there's no TMC in the "Menu" key.

Do you have more information about this? Is it only in France? Is anybody saw the TMC on a Prius with IPA?

2. AndreM

AndreM New Member

Hello,
    Living in Belgium, it is with pleasure that last week I took possession of my Prius 2006 Sol with IPA and option GPS.
    I have just seen me that the icon RDS-TMC is not present in "Menu" of the GSP.
    I had the occasion to check on another Prius 2006 Sol with JBL and option GPS and it has the RDS-TMC function well.
    The descriptive list of the vehicle that I received during the ordering shows well GPS screen 7"with Bluetooth and RDS-TMC. In the handbook of the GPS which I received with the car, RDS-TMC is well documented.
    I do not know where to find an adjustment to make appearing this icon and/or brings RDS-TMC into service. On the other hand the RDS of the radio functions well.
    How to reveal it? Did I pass to near something?
    Are there other owners of Prius 2006 Sol (Tech) with IPA and GPS which could assure me that he has RDS-TMC well on his GPS? Which country?
    Thank you.

3. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
  4. AndreM

AndreM New Member

The big question is: are those nice screen-shoots token from the same and unique vehicle ? :unsure:
    Because those pictures show indeed RDS-TMC with a JBL radio (6 cd charger) AND IPA witch is not possible to buy in Belgium ! :(
    We have to choose between either :
    - a Prius Sol with option IPA, radio CD + 6 speakers and GPS on DVD or
    - a Prius Sol with option audio JBL with 6cd charger + 9 speakers and GPS on DVD !! :angry:

5. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

Wth is TMC??

6. AndreM

AndreM New Member

GPS with RDS-TMC = Traffic Message Channel, or TMC, is a technology for delivering traffic and travel information to drivers. It is typically digitally coded using the FM-RDS system on conventional FM radio broadcasts. It can also be transmitted on DAB or satellite radio.It allows silent delivery of high quality accurate, timely and relevant information, in the language chosen by the user and without interrupting normal services. ...
    Mainly uses in Europe and maybe in Canada ?

7. acemtp

acemtp New Member

8. montecarlomonaco

montecarlomonaco New Member

It is simple there spotty TMC in France, for instance it works well often outside of Paris and the data is part of the FRANCE INTER sideband. For instance 50 KMs from Paris it works going south. There may in fact be a political reason TMC does not work in Paris

Steven in Monaco

9. montecarlomonaco

montecarlomonaco New Member

From Wikipedia on TMC

France
    Both a free public service and a commercial service are available in France.
    The free service is provided by the motorway operators and provides information on their toll-roads. The toll-road operators are AREA, ASF, ATMB, Cofiroute, ESCOTA, SANEF, SAPN, SAPRR, SFTRF and SMTPC. The TMC data is on the 107.7 traffic channel so it can only be received along the motorways.
    The commercial service V-Trafic is provided by Mediamobile. It is a partnership between TDF, Renault, Trafficmaster and Cofiroute. The service, which replaces the previous Visionaute service, is transmitted on the frequencies of France Inter and can be received nationally. It includes the information from the motorways but also on Paris congestion. The service was first open but it is now a pay-service, but it is not encrypted: by using a different location table number they can restrict the use. This method is TMC Forum 's Interim encryption method. They have about 60000 customers.
    Next to that a service from ViaMichelin and Carte Blanche is provided, transmitted by the Towercast network (NRJ group). In September 2005 PSA Peugeot Citroën signed a partnership with ViaMichelin for the use of this info in their navigation systems.
    Location tables are released by the government agency SETRA and includes about 20000 locations. Since version 0.4 it includes both inside Paris and outside Paris. The latest certified version is 5.1 for France and 0.0 for Andorra.