1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TMJ

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by heliotropehead, Mar 27, 2006.

1. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

... because I think I do.

:(

I've had some symptoms for a couple of years now. I was hoping they would miraculously disappear. They have not.

2. unruhly

unruhly New Member

I thought everyone has a TMJ. Isn't that the joint for the jaw bones?

Every time I go to the Dentist, he asks me if I'm having any trouble with my TMJ, 'cause I gnash my teeth at night. If I'm having any problems, I don't know about it.

What are you experiencing?

3. heliotropehead

I too grind my teeth in my sleep, which causes horrendous pain in the mornings... & before every meal. That first bite is the worst. Lately I've been experiencing aches in my face, neck and shoulders. I've had several migraines in the last couple of months, as well. My dentist said this was normal, which I doubt... and prescribed a mouthguard to be worn at night. After a couple of nights of drooling on my pillow I tossed it out.

4. gilahiker

gilahiker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    heliotropehead--I have had TMJ for about 30 years. Never wanted to get the surgery...doesn't always work I've heard...and I'm not sure I like someone cracking my jaw and rewiring it in a different positon...I mean, if the joint pops out, and it has and it is extremely painful...what is resetting a jaw going to do?

Over the years I've figured out what to eat and what not to eat to lessen the pain...nothing chewy or hard and chewy (no French baguettes, no San Fran. sourdough...my jaw locked into the open position about 25 years ago eating a sandwich made on a french baguette...nice 5 hours emergency room visit).

I've also found that over the years my stress has gone up...not only do clench my teeth at night causing my teeth to crack (4 crowns/root canals and more to come), but I also clench my jaw during the day when I am under stress.

Solution...I wear a mouthguard my dentist made specifically for me every night...if I didn't I'd be having the same problems you are having. I sometimes wear it during the day when I'm stressed in the privacy of my office, removing it when I leave the office.

My suggestion...get over the drooling thing...drool is easier to live with than pain! Go get another mouthguard or have one made for your mouth (you won't throw that $250 mouthguard away). If you don't wear the mouthguard every night your pain will not go away (mouth pain or migraines) and only get worse...trust me, after 30 years dealing with it I know...

5. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    TMJ *syndrome* is what we're talking about here. The TMJ is something that all people have... two of! But we do tend to say "TMJ" for short.

Well, I'll raise my hand and be counted. And after reading this, you may want to count me twice....

One day in 1985, I woke up and could not open my mouth. I was locked shut. Could not even put my pinkie between my front teeth. Couldn't eat, couldn't brush my teeth. My right TMJ was "ankelosed" (sp?) I had no indication of a problem until this day. By the time I was locked shut, I had destroyed the meniscus (cartilege pad in the TMJ) and my bones were just rubbing together making a big mess in there.

I'll spare the details... seven surgeries later, I now have a completely prosthetic right TMJ (Stainless Steel, Titanium and nylon) that works quite well. In fact, it works better than my "natural" left TMJ which is in terrible shape and making a racket. The surgeries before the replacement did nothing to solve the problem - only made me more misrable. I did get to the point where I could eat, but the constant headaches were all but unbearable. Smiling hurt (well, still does, but not as much!). The solution was finally replacement - but nobody wanted to do that on a college-age kid since the prosthetics only last about 15 years. But now I've got one, and I'm at about 12 years...

Stress is the killer here... and add my psoriatic arthritis, and you have the recipe for some pretty bad TMJ times. If you catch it early, and can find a good doctor, there is hope! Don't just ignore it, that ain't gonna work!

Best of luck,

6. gilahiker

gilahiker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am glad that I have not had to go through what you've been through Darell. I agree wholeheartedly... Helio--don't ignore it...it won't ever "go away."

7. heliotropehead

Wow! Thank you both very much. I suppose it's time to find a good doctor... and a different dentist. In the meantime, I may give the mouthguard thing another try. Thanks again.
    : )

8. gilahiker

gilahiker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You're welcome :) ...give the mouthguard at least a week. If it doesn't lessen the pain find another dentist and ask for a mouthguard to be molded to your mouth (my mouthguard snaps onto my bottom teeth, I've had to modify it after getting a a crown by using a nail file to file it in the appropriate places to fit the new crown).

9. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    the wife has it when she eats it makes a loud poping noise lol have to watch tv so the popping doesnt drive us nuts....

Some women use it as an excuse too, I wont go there!