1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

To 2 Prius or not to 2 Prius (that is the que-question)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by miscrms, Jan 28, 2008.

1. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ok, so I know this is very subjective (and probably discussed before) but I would appreciate any thoughts. We are currently debating whether to become a 2 Prius family. The most likely alternative would be a Prius/Escape Hybrid combo. We were planning to wait a few years before making anymore car changes, but have a second baby on the way which has accelerated things :rolleyes:

2 Prius Concerns:

1) Has anyone found a double stroller that will fit well in the back of a Prius with 2 car seats? We currently use a Peg Pliko, as its full sized/full featured but folds like an umbrella and doesn't weight 50 lbs. Haven't found anything like that in a double that will take an infant seat yet.

2) Like to hike/climb/offroad. We don't do it that often, but do like having some dirt capability. One option would be to add an old Jeep Cherokee or something as a third car for occasional use. We currently have a older LR Discovery, buts its just to expensive/dirty/thirsty/needy to keep/maintain/insure as a third car.

3) Can we really get 2 adults, 2 kids (0 and 2) and all our stuff in for weekend trips and the like? My feeling is yes, but would love to hear from those who do it.

Prius / Escape concerns

1) Escape MPG << Prius MPG

2) Escape offroad probably not really all that capable?

3) Is the Escape really that much roomier than the Prius?

I would appreciate any thoughts on the topic, particularly from those currently with either fleet configuration!

Thanks,
    Rob

2. PrematurelyGray

PrematurelyGray Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well, we've never owned anything larger than a '96 Camry and we have 3 kids. When my kids were in carseats, strollers, etc., we drove everywhere in an '86 Civic. And, yeah, we took driving vacations, luggage and accessories in the trunk and on the roof. 7 - 9 hour trips. Roomy and cushy? No, but it was fun anyway.

My kids are a lot larger now, but I will be driving 4 teenage boys and their snowboards/boots to mountain skiing on Sunday in the Prius. Will it be cushy and roomy? No, but everyone will survive and have fun anyway.

Truth is, it depends on your expectations and comfort level with a little bit of discomfort. Although, with only 2 kids, the discomfort should be nearly non-existent.

Good luck with your decision!!!

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Our Prius carried four of us and all our stuff on a month-long trip across Canada and back, so I really don't see lack of room being an issue. As for the offroading, a couple of mountain bikes and all your gear will fit in the back with the hatch closed, no problemo. :D

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For me I always make sure I have 1 car I can use to tow a small trailer.
    No towing with the Prius so as long as I have another car I can tow a trailer to the tip then the Prius is great. I drive the Prius because I have the longer commute.

Thinking about replacing the 1996 RAV4, looking at Corolla.

5. PrematurelyGray

PrematurelyGray Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have one more thought. You guys sound active. We were/are too - we're runners, hikers, bikers. We never used a double stroller. I always strolled one child and carried the other one in a front pack or back pack. I find the double strollers to be unwieldy and particularly difficult in stores. Plus, there is nothing like carrying an extra 10 - 40 lbs on the back to give the legs a great workout!

The other thing to remember when your kids are little is that their legs don't hang over the seat, so all of the 2nd row floor space is available for... STUFF!