1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

To AC or not to AC?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Bob64, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know that some people have some sort of ice-vest... Any other alternatives to AC that runs off ice or something?

2. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bob64 @ Aug 12 2007, 10:25 PM) [snapback]494550[/snapback]</div>
    Sure.
    The Prii's electronic air conditioner . . . it too "runs off of" (without) the ICE. :lol:

Or you could do as two of my younger brothers did on a round-the-country road tip back in the 80's . . . Wet a tee shirt, hold the waist out the window to capture the airflow, and direct the neck and arm holes inside the car . . . INSTANT COLD AIR!!!!! :lol:
    But I doubt that method would help a Prii's MPG. :mellow:

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bob64 @ Aug 13 2007, 12:25 AM) [snapback]494550[/snapback]</div>
    Yes but you have to build it yourself.

Check out "ammonia absorption refrigeration" cycle that can run off of waste heat, say from engine exhaust.

Bob Wilson

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bob64 @ Aug 13 2007, 12:25 AM) [snapback]494550[/snapback]</div>
    Alternatively, you could learn to eat these:
    [​IMG]

I'm only up to Pho:
    [​IMG]

Season to taste and if you break out in a sweat about half-way through, it is perfect and you're ready for +90F weather.

SPF-45 sun screen also mitigates solar radiation on arms, legs and other exposed bare skin.

Bob Wilson

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    About 500 pounds of ice will fit in the back as long as it's molded to the contour of the hatch. You need to make sure the melt water stays out of the battery, so it's a good idea to put down some plastic and make sure a drain hole is open. The extra weight causes some hit on the mileage, but it improves as the ice melts, as long as the water is allowed to drain. If you elect to forgo the drain hole, watch out for sudden stops and down grades. A space blanket can be used to control the rate of melting, which in turn controls the temperature. Sun screens are a must for parking.

Hope this helps,
    Tom

6. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You could try about 100 pounds of dry ice, just be sure to crack the windows or you will have a long sleep.

7. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Efuscosboyfriend @ Aug 13 2007, 06:53 PM) [snapback]495089[/snapback]</div>
    I agree, you should know.

In the end, it's a personal choice anyhow. Some enjoy the challenge of trying to save an extra $0.30 per hour. Others enjoy the challenge of trying to maximize their MPG. Others just like to be comfortably cool in their new ride :)

8. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bwilson4web @ Aug 13 2007, 04:04 PM) [snapback]494942[/snapback]</div>
    Pho and Habanero are a perfect combination. And I thought I was the only one who knew this super secret!!!

9. theorist

theorist Member

After growing up in Phoenix, I don't know of any alternatives that will replace AC, but there are many that may help, especially if you are unfortunate enough to be driving a car in Phoenix without AC when it's over 110 F. The 6th option is the only one that might help much in the humid South.

1. Tint, the darker the better as far as staying cool goes. I even remember when reflective tint was legal. If the tint is dark enough, you may not even have to worry as much about the legality of wearing too little clothing. :p

2. 455 air conditioning = 4 open windows and 55 mph. This can be a problem with stop lights, law enforcement, and less clothing.

3. Shading the car when parked and keeping the windows open to avoid using your interior as a solar oven. The Phoenix sun can destroy interior plastics and just about anything you leave in the car. The last time I visited, I saw that a couple 24 packs of soda exploded when my mother left them in her trunk (not even a hatch).

4. Don't drive during the day. At night it cools down about 30 degrees outside, more in a car.

5. Wear wet clothing. This probably won't help in humid Virginia, but may in Arizona. One summer I rode a short 2 mile daily commute on bicycle. Before leaving I would completely soak my shirt and hair. When I arrived 5-10 minutes later, they would both be dry and I'd be relatively comfortable.

6. Roll ice cubes in a towel or cloth and wrap it over the back of your neck. The neck gets great circulation. You could also use an icepack. In dry Arizona, when the ice melts the wet towel continues to work as an evaporative cooler. Ice and cloth is also more widely available.

7. Drink heavily; sweat heavily. Where else outside of Phoenix are 48 ounce (1.5 L) soft drinks considered normal?

8. Don't drive a car with a dark colored interior or exterior. Avoid leather and run from old vinyl.

10. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theorist @ Aug 21 2007, 08:25 PM) [snapback]500029[/snapback]</div>
    I just knew there was a good reason for doing that! :lol: