1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

To buy a Prius or not a Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ChuX, May 22, 2005.

1. ChuX

ChuX New Member

Last Thursday, I went to test drive a Scion tC, to see what I'll be missing if I get a Prius. I test drove a BC packaged Prius right after the tC. I must say, the handling of the tC was a bit better than the Prius and it got me thinking if I should spend the extra few thousand to get a Prius. I know I will recoup the expenses in extra fuel in a few years as opposed to saving a few thousand buying the tC now. I know I qualify for the tax breaks, but it would not decrease the overall cost that much.

I've been asking around for opinions even on a scion forum and have been getting mixed feedback. Half say go for the Prius while the other half say go for the tC. I like both cars equally.

If I didn't go for the test drive, I would've purchased the Prius in July hands down. But now, I'm not so sure if I should spend the extra money. I would appreciate your opinions to help me decide.

2. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Financial matters aside, the rest of your decision depends almost entirely on what you want in a car. Obviously, the vast majority of posters on PriusChat (myself included) will be biased toward our own vehicles. It might be best to seek out an impartial opinion (family or friend) before buying.

In my case, I value the smooth ride, quiet operation, unique style, environmental responsibility, extra technologies, and driving experience offered by the Prius, to mention a few. What I've recently realized is that the Prius requires less regular maintenance, meaning I only have to change the oil once every 5,000 miles or 6 months - that's half the cost and half the hassle of scheduling an oil change. It seems trivial, but it has made my life easier. The purchase also did wonders for my 2004 tax return.

Make a list of likes and dislikes about both vehicles and compare and contrast. Be sure to evaluate more than just the technical comparison or economy of each car.

Enjoy your decision-making process. Besides, it's not every day you buy a new car!

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The only complaint my hubby has (he fixes Toyota and Scion cars) is that he always hits his head on the tC when he gets in and out.

He says otherwise they're both great cars...

4. ChuX

ChuX New Member

The Prius offers more conveniences that I like, namely smart key and the buttons on the steering wheel. With the Prius, I have to find a dealer that will not markup the price beyong MSRP. The dealership I went to for the test drive told me that I will be paying about $2000 above sticker price. If that is the case, I would rather get the tC. Another dealer, where my family has purchased 4 cars from, stated I will be paying sticker price, but I'm not sure if the salesperson is totally honest about that. I'm willing to pay sticker price for a BI(#3) which runs for $22,877, but if I have to pay additional to that, I won't be as eager to purchase it. Some people I've spoken to have said that if I wait, hybrid technology will get even better.

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Dealers can afford to give you sticker price. That's what we paid. Find someone that will deal honestly with you. They are out there, it just takes a little looking.

Hybrids may get better in the future but I think by buying one now not only are you funding hybrid research, but you're indicating to the carmakers that there's a demand for it.

Toyota probably won't really revamp the Prius for another few years but HSD is really fantastic.

Get the car you think you'd be happiest with. If you want the Prius you can find someone who will give you sticker price. You are about to spend a lot of money, get what you want.

6. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    As others on PriusChat have stated, there are plenty of dealers who sell at MSRP. I ordered mine a year ago last Thursday and was worried at the time that they'd up the price by the time the car was delivered, so I had them give me a signed quote in writing when I ordered. If they want your business badly enough, they'll do that much for you.

Incidentally, I got quotes from two Toyota dealers; one offered MSRP in writing while the other one was willing to bump me to the top of the waiting list if I paid $3,000 more (a rather unscrupulous business practice, if you ask me). You can guess who got my business and where I take my Prius for service. Don't buy from slimeballs - you'll only encourage them.

The same could be said about computer technology, but if I waited for it to get better, I'd still be without a computer today. Technologies, including the hybrid system, will continue to get better until they mature. In my opinion, Toyota hit the nail on the head with their HSD, and the technology is "good enough" for me.