1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

To Buy or Not To Buy, That is the question 2006 vs. 2007

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by RONIN 47R, May 12, 2006.

1. RONIN 47R

RONIN 47R New Member

Hello all and thanks for having such an awesome site and a willingness to share your (insights) :p,

A have a question, one of many to come later I'm sure, and that is... What are your thoughts on purchasing the 2006 now versus waiting till Fall for the 2007? Thus far I have contemplated such topics as:

Tax Credit issues?
    Design differences?
    Etc.

At the risk of sounding like a song from The Clash, what other reasons can you guys think of regarding whether "I should stay or I should go"? 2006 or 2007?

P.S. I'm test driving Sunday. Weeeeeeeeee

Thanks,
    R

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I have a 2005, but I can answer a bit.

1) The tax credit is a big incentive to get one now. If you aren't eligible or don't need the credit (lucky you) go ahead and wait.

2) There'll be changes in the 2007, there'll be changes in the 2008 and there'll be changes in the 2009. That, I'm afraid, is gonna happen. I mean, take a look at the 2006 Studebaker. The 2006 has nice features over the 2005, but I just have to accept that. :)

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    either way, the 2009 prius is going to make anything before it look obsolete... oh well. that's technology. think of the gas money you'd save by not waiting a year to buy a prius :)

4. RONIN 47R

RONIN 47R New Member

Regarding the tax incentive, how do you find out if you are eligible for that credit? Is it as simple as asking the dealer?

R

5. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RONIN 47R @ May 12 2006, 03:49 PM) [snapback]254287[/snapback]</div>
    The credit is available to anyone who buys a hybrid vehicle this year, before the manufacturer sells 60,000 of them (for Toyota, that includes not only the Prius but the Highlander and Camry hybrids and all the Lexus hybrids as well.) Toyota will easily exceed that this year. There are rumors that the 60,000 cap may be lifted, but as of now it is in effect. I believe the credit for the Prius is $3150 (it is definitely somewhere slightly over $3K) As long as you buy your car before the 60,000 level is reached (and as long as you aren't in the tax bracket where you pay the AMT), you'll be entitled to the credit.
    Supposedly, changes for the 2007 model year are slight- so I'd buy mine now! (I already did- in January)

6. RONIN 47R

RONIN 47R New Member

Thanks Larkinmj. I think I'll end up doing it sooner or later unless there is some super duper reason to wait for the 07' which it doesn't sound like there is. I'm still wondering how to found out if/when they have reached their 60k limit? Hhhmmm!?

Anybody in San Diego, Ca purchase their Prius around town and if so who did you go through and how was it?

Thanks again all!

R

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The tax credit is a big plus if you can use it. As others have stated, technology keeps advancing, and if you wait for the latest and greatest, you'll never get on the train. One good thing about buying now is that the Prius is a hot item that holds its value well, so if you decide to buy a new one at a later date, you should do well selling your current one.

If it were me, I'd buy one now; but then again, I did buy one now!

Tom

8. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    With the rumors being that the changes for 2007 being minimal, the only reason to wait is for price to come down. The three ways that is most likely to happen is if supply overtakes demand (through either increased competition or increased output from Toyota), or the price of gas drops significantly.

There is one other possibility that might induce someone to wait, that being the tax credit for the 2007 Prius actually increasing to over the current $3,150.

Since none of those things appear likely to happen in the near future, might as well buy now.

9. jonlink

jonlink New Member

The credit remains in effect for the quarter after a manufacturer reaches 60,000 units. You have until September 30th to acquire (not order) your car.

10. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RONIN 47R @ May 12 2006, 01:30 PM) [snapback]254309[/snapback]</div>
    You can do a search on this site to see how the 60k limit is going along. That topic comes up from time to time.

I got mine out of town, but I hear that Kearny Mesa Toyota is a good place to go to. I had my 10k checkup done there and it was a good experience.

11. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jonlink @ May 12 2006, 05:14 PM) [snapback]254340[/snapback]</div>
    I was wondering how they would handle that. I can imagine there would be quite a few "unimpressed" customers to sign a purchase agreement, receive the car, then find out afterward they are being refused their $3K since the quota was already met (!). That is a significant amount of cash.

Personally, I would go with the 06, as I did myself just a few weeks ago. Since my previous car had an aftermarket sound system that played MP3s and had an auxiliary input, I considered it a significant drawback last year when the 05 Prius didn't have this, and going aftermarket is just not practical in this car. Needless to say, when I learned of the 06 features, I was very excited! Other upgrades such as the increased headroom in the back (I'm 6'2"; in the backseat of the 05 my head touched in the 06 it doesn't!) and upgraded high-res MFD screen (very impressive!) and tire pressure monitoring and backup cam just sweetened (and sealed) the deal for me.

Aside from a power moonroof (one feature I do miss from my old car) and maybe some lumbar support, I can't think of anything else I would want in a car. It would also be nice if HIDs were available in Canada, but I digress...

Since the common rumour is that there are no major changes slated for '07, I would recommend moving on it sooner rather than later..

Just my $0.02...

- Kevin

12. RichBoy

RichBoy New Member

the 07 Prius will be almost identical to the 06, with some new colors added...as Toyota owners know, the 07 models come out in mid-late December..so thats winter , not fall. you better get on a list, no matter what year model you go for,,,unless you want a stipper with no/few options, then you wont have 2 wait for several months.

13. roguenode

roguenode New Member

If you can't wait for the redesigned Prius for 08, I'd buy now. I recently had a similar decision to buy either a Prius or Camry Hybrid now, or wait for the next gen Prius. Ultimately, I decided to wait as most of my driving is 2-4 mile trips and I think the next Prius will be a bit more friendly for that use. Until then, I've started riding my bike to work and for errands whenever possible to do what I can to reduce gas use and pollution. Being able to save what I would have had for a payment over the next year is a nice bonus in my situation.

With all that being said, when the Hybrid fit comes out for 07. it might be tougher to wait for the next Prius.
    :)

If you do buy now, one plus for buying late in the year is the dark grey (magnetic grey?) is out now.

14. stevedegraw

stevedegraw Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RONIN 47R @ May 12 2006, 03:30 PM) [snapback]254309[/snapback]</div>
    Concerning San Diego, I got lucky and put a deposit on mine two weeks ago at Mossy Toyota in Pacific Beach. The dealer was very pro-active, found one that "fell out of escrow" after only a weeks wait and I picked up my new black beauty just last Friday, Cinco de Mayo. It was a package # 8, not exactly what I ordered, but perfect anyway.

I looked into the same thing about the 2006 vs 2007 and deceided not to wait in part because I saw a video clip on CNET about the 2007 Prius from the Geneva Auto Show.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4660-11443_7-6459267.html

According to the reviewer, the biggest improvements are much better NAV resolution and an amazing feature that parks the car automatically but that is not available in the US. As was mentioned before there will be bigger changes year after next.

15. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sarge @ May 12 2006, 06:30 PM) [snapback]254398[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, there was a much bigger change from '05 to '06 than there will be going from '06 to '07. My last car (Honda Element) had an aux input into the stereo (although the CD player did not play MP3/WMA files), and I have that in my Prius now- I can't imagine ever having to use one of those FM transmitters for my iPod (not many cars have cassette players anymore to use an adapter). As for a power moonroof, I miss having that too, but I doubt you'll ever see that in a Prius. As the Prius depends on the high EPA estimates as a selling feature, anything like a moonroof that adversely affects mileage is a no-no.

16. sdsteve

sdsteve New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RONIN 47R @ May 12 2006, 12:30 PM) [snapback]254309[/snapback]</div>
    The Tax credit will be up pretty soon for Toyota, unless it gets extended. They have about 10K to go as of the end of April, and thier run rate is more than 10K a month. The credit goes from the end of the following quarter in which they reach 60K cars. So, if they reach it in May, the credit goes unitl end of September.

I got mine at Toyota Carlsbad. There's a 3 month wait depending on the color/package - I was lucky and got a silver one package 8 in about a week. PM me if you want the sales guy info

17. walt

walt New Member

Bel Air, MD, USA -=- Blair, Merlin, Merka
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RONIN 47R @ May 12 2006, 01:09 PM) [snapback]254165[/snapback]</div>
    :D Skip the 2007 and wait for the 2008; it will be even more better!

18. RONIN 47R

RONIN 47R New Member

Well thanks for all of the great info everyone. Trusting the Priusians' experience and knowledge I will go for the 2006 rather than the 2007. Now I need to start putting together my wish list for technical add ons, modifications, and the questions that go along that subject. I will start a new thread in the "Prius Modifications" at this link Building RONIN's Prius.

I hope to see you on the new thread too. :D
    R

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Karnac @ May 12 2006, 04:45 PM) [snapback]254424[/snapback]</div>

Great work leaving me the link to follow Karnac. Seeing always helps.

R

19. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Karnac @ May 12 2006, 07:45 PM) [snapback]254424[/snapback]</div>
    Or as Lou Dobbs calls it, May 5th. :D

20. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    And you forgot to ask about the CARPOOL sticker.... driving solo in the carpool lane....
    Those will go sooner than later- the limit is 75,000 and I think we are about 60,000 (with all in the DMV mill).
    Granted the sticker is only good until 1/1/2008 but it does help and that is why every other California Tom Dick and Jane want a Prius, making them hard to get (in addition to the gas prices).