1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

To buy or not to buy the 2002 PRIUS

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by TODN, Jul 15, 2007.

1. TODN

TODN New Member

Hey Everyone,

I'm a newcomer to the forums and I am thinking of buying a Prius.

I love all the features, and for cost-effectiveness I have my eyes on a '02 Prius with 55k miles on it.

I've heard horror stories from friends and family about the '01 & '02 Prius being a horrible buy due to the expensive upkeep and how much the parts and labor costs on it.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice or your opinions on the 2002 Prius.

I can't find anything that talks about the upkeep of the '02 prius model.

Please advise

EDIT: Changed the title to reflect actual situation

2. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TODN @ Jul 15 2007, 03:51 PM) [snapback]479285[/snapback]</div>
    Welcom, Welcom, Welcom!

This question comes up so often, that PC should add it to the FAQ.
    Should I buy a Prius?
    Everyone here typically returns a resounding Yes.

But you have a little twist from the standard question, as your plan involves potentially purchasing an 01 or 02.

Look at the thread about the Taxi being the first Generation 2 Prius to make it to 250,000 miles. If you read the article, you will see that this taxi driver started with a Generation 1 (01 or 02) Prius that also made it to 250,000 miles and he reports very low maintenance costs with both cars. Both were sent back to Toyota for research.

I have a friend at work with a 2002 Prius who was Very Happy with it. Unfortunately, his daughter totaled it a few weeks ago and he is feeling bad because he is not sure he will be able to replace it with a similar car.

3. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TODN @ Jul 15 2007, 06:51 PM) [snapback]479285[/snapback]</div>
    I own a 2001. Have 84000 miles on it. Over the past six years, all fixes have cost $1100 and the warranty has covered a main battery replacement (very, very rare). You have a lot of miles and a few years left on the warranty so you should be in good condition. Saved a Heck of a lot on gas.

Now, I have spent six years being told that the Prius is an expensive, difficult car. Trouble is, none of these comments were made by Prius owners. (Where are they getting their info since I should be supplying it, not receiving it???) Are any of these family and friends Prius owners?

4. TODN

TODN New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FL_Prius_Driver @ Jul 15 2007, 09:06 PM) [snapback]479352[/snapback]</div>

SItuations like these most often denote the FoaF or friend of a friend status. I just wanted to check before I drop money on the car. Thanks