1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

To Change Oil Type or Not? 2005 Prius 128k miles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tarams, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Tarams

Tarams Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    So my car is now over 100,000 miles and I am wondering if I should switch to a synthetic or other (high mileage?) type motor oil.

I honestly have no idea what what weight I've been running - just conventional (usually have oil changed at local places), but I'd love to get 10k miles between changes. I live in NC (USA) where we have four seasons (single digits to 100+ degree temps). Other forums comment that Amsoil 0w-30 is good for 35k miles and Shell Rotella synthetic 5w-40 is may be another option.

Anyone have any advice for me? I don't seem to be losing/burning anything now, not sure if it's okay to switch and if so, what to switch to. Thanks for any advice!

2. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Are you consuming any oil between changes, and I assume you're currently following the US second generation 6 month or 5000 mile oil-and-filter-change interval? If so how much?

4. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If you get 20k miles within a year you can try Mobil 1 Annual Protection. There is also Extended Performance which would last 1 year or 15k miles, whichever occurs first.

5. Cdgreg

Cdgreg Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I considered the same thing recently, I'm at 182k burning a quart per 5,000 miles, most of which seems to burns towards the second half of the 5000 miles. I ultimately decided just to keep two quarts of the Walmart 5-w30 ($2 per quart) in my trunk with a funnel and keep her topped off after the 2500 mile mark. If I'm going to burn it, might as well burn the cheap stuff. I'm not sure if a synthetic would burn less, but I'm not having any other engine issues so just staying as-is.

Raytheeagle likes this.