1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

To Dave @ Coastal: Any Plans for DRLs?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by randalla, Aug 4, 2004.

1. randalla

randalla Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hey Dave,
    There have been a number of discussions in Priuschat about the uselessness of the current fog lights.

Is there a chance that sometime in the near future you might consider doing a modification to the fog light on/off switch to enable them to:
    1) enable them to be turned on and off independently of the headlights or...
    2) modify the fog light switch so that they come on whenever the ignition is turned on and off whenever the ignition is turned off

2. davidbw

davidbw Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Foglights on independently of headlights

There are some states, California is one of them, in which you are not allowed to have the foglights on unless you have the headlights on.

3. randalla

randalla Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Perhaps could the bulbs or lenses be changed in order to meet any DOT or NHTSA standards for DRLs?

4. InTheWASide

InTheWASide New Member

Am I the only person that seems to think the fact you can just turn the knob to turn the headlights on, and leave them on, because when you turn the car off and open the door they automatically turn off, IS the equivilent to DRL's?
    Are you simply not using this option because you want something that automatically turns your AMBER lights on and off by itself?
    Since I have had my Prius (8 months now) I have NEVER had to touch the switch for the headlights unless I was testing the fog lamps OR using my BRIGHTS.

If Anyone is unsure what I'm referring to, turn your headlights to the OFF position. Now turn it as far as you can in the opposite direction so everything is on. Start the car up to ready mode. Drive a block. Park. Turn the car off. (Headlights stay on) NOW open your driver door. THEY TURN THEMSELVES OFF. With the knob in the same position, turn the car back on. The lights AUTOMATICALLY come back on. This works whether it is daytime or nighttime and is not dependant on the outside brightness levels (like a Buick I rented) Benefit of this, is that the Buick I had decided when full beams kicked in. It did this on the WA State Ferry Terminal to Whidbey Island when posted signs everywhere told me to ONLY have my parking lamps on. I had no control over that...
    It just seems like this car already HAS DRL's or something that's close enough to be equivilent, so why are we all so worried about a new adget that will do it?

5. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    They do take care of themselves, as long as the car is off before the door is opened. About the only reason to avoid excessive headlight use is the replacement cost. HIDs (like *my* car) are stiff...

6. randalla

randalla Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks Brad for the info on the headlights. I've been aware of the headlights ability to turn off with the ignition.

My question for Coastal Dave concerns only the fog lights and their potential use separate from the HID headlights.

I consider this potential modification of the fog lights as a enhancement to the Prius and it would establish a practical everyday use for the fog lights whereas now they are seldom being used.

7. mshappe

mshappe New Member

True DRLs are actually significantly dimmer in 'daytime' mode.

I actually have a 1994 Pontiac Grand Am that was apparently originally sold in Canada, because it has DRLs and a light-sensor that forces the headlights to full-on without user intervention, neither of which, I learned later, were ever features of the car as sold in the US!

8. randalla

randalla Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It doesn't seem that a mod to the fog light switch on the stalk would be a terribly hard to develop. Hopefully, if there is enough interest shown, Dave will consider tackling this.