1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

to Disheartened Conservatives

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Beryl Octet, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    November 14th, 2006

To My Conservative Brothers and Sisters,

I know you are dismayed and disheartened at the results of last week's election. You're worried that the country is heading toward a very bad place you don't want it to go. Your 12-year Republican Revolution has ended with so much yet to do, so many promises left unfulfilled. You are in a funk, and I understand.

Well, cheer up, my friends! Do not despair. I have good news for you. I, and the millions of others who are now in charge with our Democratic Congress, have a pledge we would like to make to you, a list of promises that we offer you because we value you as our fellow Americans. You deserve to know what we plan to do with our newfound power -- and, to be specific, what we will do to you and for you.

Thus, here is our Liberal's Pledge to Disheartened Conservatives:

Dear Conservatives and Republicans,

I, and my fellow signatories, hereby make these promises to you:

1. We will always respect you for your conservative beliefs. We will never, ever, call you "unpatriotic" simply because you disagree with us. In fact, we encourage you to dissent and disagree with us.

2. We will let you marry whomever you want, even when some of us consider your behavior to be "different" or "immoral." Who you marry is none of our business. Love and be in love -- it's a wonderful gift.

3. We will not spend your grandchildren's money on our personal whims or to enrich our friends. It's your checkbook, too, and we will balance it for you.

4. When we soon bring our sons and daughters home from Iraq, we will bring your sons and daughters home, too. They deserve to live. We promise never to send your kids off to war based on either a mistake or a lie.

5. When we make America the last Western democracy to have universal health coverage, and all Americans are able to get help when they fall ill, we promise that you, too, will be able to see a doctor, regardless of your ability to pay. And when stem cell research delivers treatments and cures for diseases that affect you and your loved ones, we'll make sure those advances are available to you and your family, too.

6. Even though you have opposed environmental regulation, when we clean up our air and water, we, the Democratic majority, will let you, too, breathe the cleaner air and drink the purer water.

7. Should a mass murderer ever kill 3,000 people on our soil, we will devote every single resource to tracking him down and bringing him to justice. Immediately. We will protect you.

8. We will never stick our nose in your bedroom or your womb. What you do there as consenting adults is your business. We will continue to count your age from the moment you were born, not the moment you were conceived.

9. We will not take away your hunting guns. If you need an automatic weapon or a handgun to kill a bird or a deer, then you really aren't much of a hunter and you should, perhaps, pick up another sport. We will make our streets and schools as free as we can from these weapons and we will protect your children just as we would protect ours.

10. When we raise the minimum wage, we will pay you -- and your employees -- that new wage, too. When women are finally paid what men make, we will pay conservative women that wage, too.

11. We will respect your religious beliefs, even when you don't put those beliefs into practice. In fact, we will actively seek to promote your most radical religious beliefs ("Blessed are the poor," "Blessed are the peacemakers," "Love your enemies," "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God," and "Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."). We will let people in other countries know that God doesn't just bless America, he blesses everyone. We will discourage religious intolerance and fanaticism -- starting with the fanaticism here at home, thus setting a good example for the rest of the world.

12. We will not tolerate politicians who are corrupt and who are bought and paid for by the rich. We will go after any elected leader who puts him or herself ahead of the people. And we promise you we will go after the corrupt politicians on our side FIRST. If we fail to do this, we need you to call us on it. Simply because we are in power does not give us the right to turn our heads the other way when our party goes astray. Please perform this important duty as the loyal opposition.

I promise all of the above to you because this is your country, too. You are every bit as American as we are. We are all in this together. We sink or swim as one. Thank you for your years of service to this country and for giving us the opportunity to see if we can make things a bit better for our 300 million fellow Americans -- and for the rest of the world.

Signed,

Michael Moore
    [email protected]
    (Click here to sign the pledge)
    www.michaelmoore.com

P.S. Please feel free to pass this on.

2. jared2

jared2 New Member

"7. Should a mass murderer ever kill 3,000 people on our soil, we will devote every single resource to tracking him down and bringing him to justice. Immediately. We will protect you."

I would revise this to read:

The murders who committed the atrocities on 9/11/2001 have not been brought to justice and are unkown. A new, fully independent investigation is needed to discover all the facts of 9/11 and bring those responsible to justice.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Nov 14 2006, 08:41 AM) [snapback]348737[/snapback]</div>
    Errrrmmm... well, that leaves out the Democrats and the Republicans.

4. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Nov 15 2006, 11:54 AM) [snapback]349526[/snapback]</div>
    Olof, from Sweden, and Svend, from Norway are the last two uncorrupted politicians in the world to my knowledge (they are nice guys, a little slow)

5. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Nov 15 2006, 12:19 PM) [snapback]349541[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry, Olof has been found to have been taking kickbacks from the small but powerful lutefisk lobby.

6. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Nov 15 2006, 12:23 PM) [snapback]349545[/snapback]</div>
    Bummer!
    That still leaves Svend.

7. Schmika

Schmika New Member

So, if Democrats are able to bring about this utopia...how come they didn't when they WERE in control for over 40 years???????

It ain't gonna happen. I'll agree with Daniel on this one.

8. jared2

jared2 New Member

I just heard the sad news that Svend has taken early retirement to devote more time to staring with existential angst at the forbidding fjords. Ingmar Bergman has taken out an option on the film rights.

9. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Nov 15 2006, 12:26 PM) [snapback]349550[/snapback]</div>
    So much drivel, so little space to deal with it all, although you did a great job. I wonder the same thing. FDR and LBJ and their social programs - have done nothing except create problems. And they did have over 40 years of complete control, and what did we get for that? Can they name ONE problem they have solved if not created? Their war on poverty is an annuity plan. Minimum wage - why not invite every Mexican and other illegal in to work at below minimum wage now before you up it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I like this quote:

"7. Should a mass murderer ever kill 3,000 people on our soil, we will devote every single resource to tracking him down and bringing him to justice. Immediately. We will protect you."

I look forward to when Iran nukes Boston killing millions of Americans and we hunt down the individual or individuals responsible for it. And then we will protect you :lol: I could not stop laughing at that one. If you ever had to produce evidence of the complete lack of reality testing in this mindset - there it is. yes we will protect you after we bury you - and mind you - we will protect our enemies right to kill you. Now you know why al-Qaeda/Ahmenijaid/Afarfart/Hamas/Hezbullah if they could vote would vote for these guys early and often.

10. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Nov 15 2006, 12:59 PM) [snapback]349572[/snapback]</div>
    I think you may be making a bit of a generalization here; besides..."create problems" necessarily begs the question, 'for whom?'

11. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Nov 15 2006, 02:25 PM) [snapback]349648[/snapback]</div>
    Unfortunately for all of us, for you it makes no difference - us or them - although I think you prefer us to have the problems and not them - but as a member of a free society you are entitled to your views - even at the potential expense of your fellow citizens (assuming that you are a citizen) - - although since you view America as a fear society - obviously you will have little if any regrets.

Too bad you offer those of what I term fear societies and evil more of the benefit of the doubt than you do us her in the United States - again probably because you view us as a fear society.

Tell me, are we also a force for evil or are we a force for good? I think I already know the answer to this question - although you probably won't answer this easy one either.

And the evil become stronger...

12. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Nov 15 2006, 12:59 PM) [snapback]349572[/snapback]</div>
    Just do any Google search regarding al-Qaeda and the recent Democratic sweep and you will see that al-Qaeda is ecstatic that President Bush will very soon have a very limited control over their destiny. Warrantless wire tapping of international calls of known and suspected terrorists which will surely fail pass muster in soon to be led Democratic House and Senate will give al-Qaeda and others a big advantage to resume the pre 9/11 style of business in the US. Assuredly many judges will be appointed who will be reluctant to even give the warrants necessary for such wire tapping too. I was always so concerned someone at the Puzzle Palace might be listening to me talking to my Aunt Esther in Germany...

Captured terrorist suspects will be taught that they will no longer face tough interrogations. Just keep your mouth shut, use your time to relax, and try not to gain too much weight (that's actually becoming a problem with the Club Gitmo detainees!). I also see in the future mass repatriations of our guests at Club Gitmo; so don't worry about an extended stay in the hands of the Americans. Get caught by the Taliban, Iranians, or Iraqi's and your facing a long night tied to a chair with some guy asking you "is it safe?". Get caught by the Americans, well were going to ask you millions of questions! The Americans have even been know to put underwear on your head! Horrors!!

I feel so much safer now that Nancy will call the shots. We'll show those terrorists we really are nice people.

Rick
    #4 2006

13. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Nov 15 2006, 02:32 PM) [snapback]349655[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, we're a force of good, no question. My Father and Mother both emigrated from Greece to the U.S. and my Dad always used to say that he thought it was a priviledge to pay taxes to the U.S. government...this is the environment in which I was raised and I carry those sentiments with me always.

What bothers me is that, as a force of good (especially one with so much force, period, behind it), we've got a responsiblity to think about others besides ourselves. That's what forces of good do.

And it seems to me that some of the arguments you're proposing are actually a bit too isolationist in nature for me to be comfortable with. That's why I gave the umbrella/BART/micro-attack example earlier...of course that's nothing compared to loss of life...what I'm saying is that lots of the little 'quality of life' things that we take for granted could actually be messed with fairly easily. This is only one reason why I think that the 'bigger and badder' approach to terrorists (or anyone lacking significant warmaking infrastructure) is flawed. They just don't have the targets, and if we "just kill everyone" as you're seeming to suggest...well, I suspect that we wouldn't really be able to make good on that threat. And if we missed just a few people, the 'cancer' for back of a better word will recur...and be possibly even more virulent in nature.

14. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Nov 15 2006, 03:46 PM) [snapback]349721[/snapback]</div>
    So you propose we play French and surrender? Forget it. Goodnight.

15. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Nov 15 2006, 04:04 PM) [snapback]349740[/snapback]</div>
    Well, you sure put me in my place! Nicely argued.

Question: are there colors and shades of gray in your universe...or only black and white?

16. jared2

jared2 New Member

"Disheartened conservative" is an oxymoron. You have to have a heart to be disheartened.

17. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Nov 15 2006, 02:34 PM) [snapback]349769[/snapback]</div>
    :blink: :lol: :lol: :blink: