1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

To EV or Not to EV. That is the question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Blue-Adept, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Blue-Adept

Blue-Adept Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I ordered the costaletech EV switch but I have not made up my mind on weather to installit. I read all the posts on the subject but am worried about my warranty. Has any one been denied service due to the switch?

Thanks
    Blue

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    no one has ever reported any warranty issue on any of the multiple boards I go to since the first install of an EV mod was done in Nov. '03.

Plus, Coastal's mod is very easy to remove if you have some service needed where it might be discovered.

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Blue-Adept; welcome to the forum!!

actually the EV is one of the more popular mods. if you have a real need for it, then do it. there have been many people before you that have tried it and i havent heard of any problems from it yet.

4. Blue-Adept

Blue-Adept Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have been lurking here for a long time but only recently posted anything. I will do it when it gets delivered. I ordered it a week ago.
    How long did you have to wait.

Blue

5. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    For the people who have installed EV switches, are you using the EV mode as often as you thought you would? I could see using it if you had to move the car short distances on a regular basis, but other than that, I'm not sure of the usefulness. How many of you still feel that it is a useful mod?

6. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(8AA\";p=\"78042)</div>
    I use mine once or twice, at least, almost every time I drive. Mostly at the end of my trip when I know I can coast/glide to where I want to park and use almost no power getting there, but may need some slight acceleration at some point and don't want the ICE to kick in for no good reason.

Also, when I'm leaving a parking lot and anticipate that I won't be able to immediately join the flow of traffic. IOW, I'll hit EV upon start up, drive to the entry area for the road/highway in EV and wait until I can merge in...then my warm up occurs while actually moving/driving rather than while I'm sitting waiting.

Also, I'll hit it when I'm preparing to stop for a light sometimes...esp. when I know that once that light changes I'll soon (like 100 yards or so) need to stop for another light so I can remain in EV for many minutes until I'm back into the flow of steadily moving traffic.

Finally, it is wonderful when leaving a busy parking garage...you go into EV and even if it takes you 30 minutes to exit usually the ICE won't need to start at all until you get on the road.

I do not use it just to go into EV for 'fun', I try to use it at times that will improve fuel efficiency and reduce emissions.

7. Brent

Brent New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blue-Adept\";p=\"77805)</div>
    I am less than convinced that adding this switch will not void a warranty. My guess is that with an electronic diagnostic procedure it would almost certainly be found. There is another consideration that has not yet been addressed, as well: at least in California the ENTIRE hybrid system, including battery and all controls, are considered to be emissions control devices. It is technically illegal to alter them unless the installed parts have a CARB exemption. I am not certain how the Federal pollution control laws work, as California is more stringent. Personally, I would not install this switch unless it had a CARB exemption AND I had some acknoweledgement from Toyota that they wouldn't void my warranty. It is a slick little device that could be fun, but the potential real gains in MPG do not outweigh the very real of losing your warranty and violating the law.

8. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Brent\";p=\"78096)</div>
    I am less than convinced that adding this switch will not void a warranty. My guess is that with an electronic diagnostic procedure it would almost certainly be found. There is another consideration that has not yet been addressed, as well: at least in California the ENTIRE hybrid system, including battery and all controls, are considered to be emissions control devices. It is technically illegal to alter them unless the installed parts have a CARB exemption. I am not certain how the Federal pollution control laws work, as California is more stringent. Personally, I would not install this switch unless it had a CARB exemption AND I had some acknoweledgement from Toyota that they wouldn't void my warranty. It is a slick little device that could be fun, but the potential real gains in MPG do not outweigh the very real of losing your warranty and violating the law.
    [/b][/quote]

Brent,
    Your points and concerns are valid. I've always expressed that anyone who is not comfortable with those facts and does not have the financial where-with-all to pay for a replacement ECU and or battery...or both...had best not do the install.

9. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    EV. EV! wait.. what was the question? (reads)

well.. if i were to get the switch, it would use it for leaving the driveway.. no need to waist fuel when going down the hill to the road. I would use it in parking lots. I would also find.. yes.. find other reasons to use it.

Even simply to use it when leaving the house.. i think it would be worth it. You could also use it to show off how cool the car is too. :)

People have had their cars serviced with no problems. I've seen several post on here about it.

Evan does have a good point. If you are really worried, don't do it. A peace of mind is better than anxiety attacks.

I have good faith in Toyota. Maybe i'm ignorant in that point.. but i like to think my car won't fail because of the EV switch. If so.. i would think they would just replace something if it was a general flaw without asking too many problems.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well what are the chances they'll need to rip up the dash? If I understand correctly, the EV component is hidden from view unless you actually remove bits of the dash components. Besides, we're not tinkering with the electronics since the computer programming is already there. We're just adding a switch to activate it.

11. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "Besides, we're not tinkering with the electronics since the computer programming is already there. We're just adding a switch to activate it."

yes.. but on the other note.. for USA citizens (not sure if it applies anywhere else) Toyota stated that any EV mod will void warranty.

12. jeepien

jeepien Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(V8Cobrakid\";p=\"78224)</div>
    Yes, and I'll be happy to "state" that it won't, if you like.

The thing is, for warranty purposes, it makes no difference what either one of us "states".

A manufacterer can't duck its warranty responsibility by "stating" things, although it is free to go ahead and do so. But, in fact, the warranty depends upon the actual language in the warranty, and on the law. The law says that the warranty is voided only if what you do to the car actually does harm to it, and it is voided only to that extent and no more.

So far, since nobody has ever reported having their warranty denied for that reason, it's all speculation. So, to whoever asked "Can someone give me a definitive answer?" the answer is, "No, nobody can."

13. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    smartass. :)

damage.. yes... using an EV mod in excess will shorten the life of the battery.. that counts as damage.

Nobody has been caught. Nobody has been penalized. We know this. The fact remaines that Toyota will try to void your warranty if you use an EV mod where they are not offered by the Toyota at the time of sale.

Your word against theirs... guess who normally wins in those cases.

Even I will get the EV mod one day. If i get caught, o well. i'm sure the car should last longer than any other car.. warranty voided or not.

14. jeepien

jeepien Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(V8Cobrakid\";p=\"78233)</div>
    Sure, but I don't use mine "in excess" of course. And considering that the Toyota-written computer program turns it off whenever it wants to, and refuses to go into EV mode if it doesn't feel like it, I'm not sure how I could use it "in excess" if I tried.

I'd be much more likely to "damage" the car using all the controls they've already provided me with, than using the EV switch.

15. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hehe.

i'm just making sure that people know that Toyota is aware of these mods we have.

Every once and a while a prius will fail. The day that a prius fails and Toyota sees EV usage on the computer will be an interesting day. Will they not care because it's doing no harm. Or will they be mad and void that persons warranty. Just looking out for my fellow Priuschatters :)

16. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(V8Cobrakid\";p=\"78233)</div>
    So, where are the warnings Toyota has issued to Japanese and European owners about the life-shortening aspects of EV?

*IS* it just North American owners that can't use it because it will shorten our battery life? Do the non-US models already state a much shorter battery life, and not using EV might keep ours going as long as possible?

California (et al) already has 50,000 extra miles promised, on the same battery I got. Would that extra 1/3 life be burned away by draining the battery more? 'Excessively' more, or just more?

No answers, other than Toyota laying down the 'law' about EV being a warranty-buster? Figures...

17. jeepien

jeepien Member

The battery warranty in the UK is the same as here.

They get EV mode standard.

So if Toyota is afraid of shortened battery life, they have a funny way of showing it.

18. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They said it because of the warranties which are issued in some states. California for example has a 150k.. 200k mile 8year or 10 year?.. can't remember at the moment. It's higher than anywhere else. there are a few states that get the same warranty as California though. Since they have to support this higher warranty, they said that any models with EV not an option can not have it aftermarket. we'll see.

19. jeepien

jeepien Member

Well, I've never heard them say that, but I hope they were dumb enough, because they just admitted that their policy is arbitrary and capricious.

That's like voiding the warranty for driving 70 mph in Virginia because the max limit in New York is 55.

I don't care what the warranty is in California. I don't live there, I dont' drive there, I didn't tell them what to price the cars at there; it's not my problem. It's theirs.

When, in the course of disputing a warranty claim, you point out that the warranty is the same in NJ and the UK, and they get the EV switch, and Toyota argues some nonsense about different warranties in different states, then your word against theirs doesn't sound like such a bad deal.

20. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    according to articles i have read, the reason american Priuses dont have the EV switch is because of problems with emission testing.