1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

To Fix or Let it Go...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Norwich, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Norwich

Norwich New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm in a very difficult situation right now. I have a 2007 Prius Touring which I love. July would be 5 years owning it. It has been a very reliable and dependable car. It is at 245,583 miles currently. Full disclosure- I am not handy with cars so all work besides replacing bulbs or windshield wipers are beyond me.

This past week I noticed it had a lot less power accelerating upon starting that it usually did, but after a few minutes it was back to normal. On Friday, as I was driving the dash lit up with warning lights including the red triangle and the hybrid system warning symbol appeared on the touchscreen. Based off of what I've read in the past on this site, I felt pretty confident in assuming the hybrid battery had gone bad. Took the car to a local shop specializing in hybrid repair and they confirmed this.

Last year, I had the car in at a different shop for some routine work. At the time, they noted that the exhaust had a small leak and the front and rear struts were showing wear and would need replaced but neither was a "have to fix now" sort of thing so I opted to wait.

The hybrid specialized shop is recommending:
    -rebuild hybrid battery - 3 yr 36000 warranty ($1800) OR
    -install new 12v battery (they say it is weak- l had a new one installed in Oct 2015) to install both batteries is $2200
    -replace both front wheel bearings now ($1231)
    -Fluids + oil change ($680)
    -brake fluid flush (they say it is contaminated with moisture and copper) this was last done in June 2018
    -transmission fluid exchange- they say it is dirty
    -coolant (was flushed in June 2018)
    -Exhaust leak (needs looking at now- louder than it was last year- needs additional work to diagnose and give estimate

They said if I have to prioritize, I need to have the batteries done and front wheel bearings done and the rest can wait a little bit.

We just bought a house 6 months ago and I was hoping this car would get me through another couple years. Now I am torn- if I dump the money into it am I just going to run into more problems? I've read quite a bit about brake actuators going out on older prius's here and that makes me nervous. I am also not excited about taking on a car payment at this time and having to pay for full coverage insurance vs liability only and don't have a ton of savings right now. I knew the hybrid battery was inevitable at some point considering the age and mileage but everything at once is overwhelming. I've been back and forth on this so many times and can't come to a decision. Input?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

1) find another shop: out of their recommendations are dubious at best, and dishonest at worst

2) get the codes and post them here

3) at a quarter million miles, you have to be realistic

4) if a new battery will get you through, the best choice is a $1,600. new aftermarket from 'newhybridbatteries.com' if you can find someone to install it.

5) if you decide to move on, consider a non hybrid, something anyone can repair, like a corola.

6) all the best!(y)

3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I don't think details are really all that important.

ANY vehicle that is 12 years old with 245,000 miles on it is NOT a good candidate for any major repairs at all.
    If the problem is not cured with something simple.......like a 12 V battery......then LET IT GO.

fotomoto likes this.
  4. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Based on the fact you can’t do any of the work yourself I would let it go and move on.

I also would never use that shop again. They sound overpriced.

fotomoto likes this.
  5. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    In your shoes I would trade it in. The car is certainly repairable but if your wallet is your primary tool for doing so, then it's time to let go. The predictabliity of payments on a replacement car is almost certainly better in the long run.

Raytheeagle, Skibob and fotomoto like this.
  6. Norwich

Norwich New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thank you all for your replies, I appreciate it!

7. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Some of those prices are a little over the top. Even so, that's a lot to put into a car that old.