1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

To Fix ... or Not To Fix?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by 2to4, Feb 14, 2010.

1. 2to4

2to4 Wherever we end up

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    We have not yet had any braking problem with our 2010 Prius. Even though our Prius is one of those affected by the recall, I was undecided about getting "the fix." Then I read the MotorWeek article posted by the PRIUSchat staff. (See the applicable part below.) With my personal experience and MotorWeek's experience, I have decided to postpone getting "the fix" until I am convinced we have a braking problem.

To fix ... or not to fix? That is the question.

MotorWeek’s statement regarding issue with brakes on the 2010 Prius

“MotorWeek has been test driving vehicles for nearly 30 years, providing unbiased, independent reviews of thousands of cars and trucks. Consumers rely on us to make smart buying decisions, a responsibility we take very seriously. That’s why we want to address the issue of why MotorWeek chose the 2010 Prius as its 2010 Drivers’ Choice “Best of the Year.â€

We test drove two 2010 models of the Toyota Prius for several months and never experienced any mechanical problems. The cars were put through MotorWeek’s standard performance tests, including tackling city streets, jammed highways, as well as challenging hills and mountainous terrain. MotorWeek’s “Best of the Year†selection was made well before any potential safety issues were raised. We still think it is an exemplary vehicle that is worthy of the Drivers’ Choice Award and the dozens of other awards it has received. MotorWeek is confident any potential issues will be fully addressed by Toyota. “

2. egale

egale New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't run to get it fixed if you haven't experienced the problem but I would certainly take care of it next time I brought in the car. Because you haven't experienced the problem, doesn't mean it isn't there.

If there was a recall because the gas tank could explode if the car is hit a certain way, you would want to get it fixed just in case. The logic that my car hasn't exploded yet so I don't think I need the fix seems kind of silly in that case.

The brake thing is not serious until it happens and you don't stop the way you thought you would and hit something. Just get it fixed when the next time the car goes in for service at the minimum.

3. DaveSheremata

DaveSheremata New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    To each their own, but I'd recommend getting the fix. I'm not in a big hurry - I even postponed my appointment to next Wednesday, but keep this in mind - of the 4 revisions of the brake ECU's rom that have been spotted "in the wild", this version was released in early January, long before the recall. Chances are that if you ever bring it in for dealer maintenance, you'll wind up with the fix anyway.

4. Jolly Paul

Jolly Paul Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You should get the fix because:
    1. future liability questions in case of accident
    2. improved resale value
    3. improved braking feel in rare instances

Wait a couple of months for early adopters to test the fix and for recall crowds at dealerships to thin out.

5. bighouse

bighouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm not sure that's technically correct. I thought I read somewhere that the fix they had to develop for the cars in the field was slightly different for the cars that they did on the assembly line...and part of the reason for the delay was to develop the right fix for the ones in the field as it involved a different process as the ECUs already had software on them and would need to be removed/updated instead of simply installed cleanly from the ground up. So, it wasn't really released in early January.

1 person likes this.
  6. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    #3 is the really the only real reason and I agree with waiting at least until your next 10k scheduled maintenance service. It's already been established that insurance will cover you whether or not the fix is in place and any improved resale value rests on Toyota having the fix out, not whether the OP gets the fix done. If the OP doesn't get the fix (or any TSBs) taken care of, the next owner will.

7. hlkc

hlkc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    IMO, we should get the fix eventually for a long run. But I sure won't line up with other Toyota owners these days for just a 3 min fix. My plan is do that when I reach 5K miles, my first service.

8. watfordprius

watfordprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    hey all, I am just going to wait for a few weeks. Brakes on mine are fine and this is just a software upgrade anyway.

9. sumguy

sumguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Waiting for my next service interval too. I can't duplicate it and drive safe enough that if the brakes cut for 1/2 sec I won't kill anybody.

10. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had planned to wait until my 10K service since I have not had the ASB delay issue. I currently have 7800 on the car and this would be about 4 to 6 weeks the way I drive.

My dealer called yesterday and encouraged me to bring the car on in next week and have the upgrade and not to wait until the 10K.

So, I plan to schedule mine next week.

11. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As has been pointed out by many, I don't own a Prius. But my opinion is you have to get the update. For many of you, you might feel like the sensation has never manifested and/or would never manifest and if it did wouldn't be an issue BUT this is a recall. I'm afraid it would affect any future warranty claim if they arised, and if an accident or worse did happen, you'd have little grounds if it was proven you knew about the update but chose to ignore it.

I'm as curious as anyone over the next weeks and months as to how those that have the update feel about brake sensation and/or impact to gas mileage. So far it seems defined by those that were bothered by the sensation that it is an improvement in braking response. Also, haven't heard a lot of complaint about possible impacted gas mileage. I'd like some time to pass to get more established feedback in that area, but I don't see how anyone should skip an update that could very well tie into safety and liability and warranty coverage.

12. web1b

web1b Active Member

I plan to get mine fixed, but I'll just wait until service comes due rather than making a special trip just for this. I never had the problem and I'd like to see if the fix has any negative side effects for the first people who get it done in case they need to make corrections to the fix and it ends up being two repairs instead of one.

13. silverfog

silverfog New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That recall fix! 'Tis a consummation
    Devoutly to be wished. No more to stop
    And be rear-ended. Ay, there's the rub;
    For if the car behind you cannot pass,
    You'll stop, and find him up your *ss.

After owning our 2010 for 9 months, my wife encountered the brake phenomenon for the first time today. As a result she braked harder than usual and we were lucky to avoid unwanted intimacy with the car behind.

14. Harold Bien

Harold Bien Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If liability were the only concern, I would not rush to get the fix because in the event of the crash, I can always say my schedule did not permit me to get the software update AND I can then blame/sue Toyota for anything that happened!

Caught speed? Officer, I swear - it was the accelerator pedal that was stuck. Thank god you were here to save me!

Rear ended someone? Sorry, my car's brakes are defective. Oh, the tail-gating before the accident? That was my stuck accelerator pedal.

Now I really wish I had a Prius by now - would save me lots of tickets and insurance claims.

15. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have experienced the brake issue on 3 occasions in 14K miles. I am convinced that the car will stop and that if you are aware of the cause you can usually avoid the issue anyway.

I am reluctant to have the fix installed because I'm not sure of the effect on regenerative braking. I know the Prius Team has told us that we will have the same amount of regen but I'm concerned about how easy it will be to control with the pedal after the fix is in.

Right now the amount of regen is easy to control with the position of the brake pedal by watching the HDI indicator or the HV battery Amps on your ScanGauge. If the brake recall moves the point of friction braking further toward the top of the pedal travel it might well decrease the controllability of regeneration.

I am at least going to wait until more people have the recall accomplished and see if they notice much difference. Once the ECU is reprogrammed it's to late to go back.

EDIT: I don't think the Toyota Gestapo are going to come around and pry my HSD emblem off it I don't have it done. I can't imagine how it would effect the warranty? and if I run into the back of someone I'll be at fault anyway. Oh, and before I sell the car I'll have it done for the next owner.

16. GreenGuy33

GreenGuy33 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Is a recall notice in the mail for us 2010 owners? I have not received any notice yet.

17. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    From a braking standpoint, the ABS fix didn't make much difference for me. Other than the poor service provided by my dealer, I have not encountered any a down-side to the fix. Perhaps the only upside for me, was that I had the backup beep reduced to one and the seatbelt beep reduced to six for no charge.

1 person likes this.
  18. prius4driver

prius4driver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm with a lot of others--waiting until I do the first oil change at 5K miles--only have 2900 miles on it now.. Have heard nothing from dealer yet--maybe they will offer an incentive if I wait. Not worried about stopping--I had an incident I attribute to a slippery patch on road at a stop sign--and I haven't been able to stir things up braking over ruts and potholes since. (Yes I know oil change interval is now 10K miles--I just think it is a good idea not to wait that long on ANY new car for a first oil change!)

19. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Definately get it fixed at your next visit to the dealer.
    Why not?!

If you don't, you're risking yourself getting sued in case the future owners run into these recall issue. In USA, people always blame their own faults on others. You don't need to be THAT ONE PERSON to be balmed on.
    Remember, this is a safety recall. Voluntary or not.

For the sake of future owners, considered it your social responsibility, please get it done.

20. 2to4

2to4 Wherever we end up

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Re: Is a recall notice in the mail?

I did not receive any mail, but I was notified on the Toyota Owners Website.