1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

To JBL, or not to JBL?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Soylent, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Soylent

Soylent The v isn't a station wagon! It's just big boned

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I am somewhat of an audiophile. By that I mean I enjoy high-quality sound. But I also I realize that the closed and insulated environment of a small vehicle is anything but an ideal accoustical chamber. Now, I know that the JBL package has a few more speakers somewhere. My question: does the JBL sound system have improved sound quality over the factory sound system? If yes, is it improved so much that you could get into a Prius blindfolded and be able to tell which sound system it contains?

Thanks!

2. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The JBL system is quite a capable system. I'm sure I could do the blind fold test on it.
    It's def. built for fidelity more then impact in that it sounds good for certain type of music (classical, jazz, folk music) but only decent for others (Rock, HipHop etc). It's base is pretty accurate but it lacks umph.

Many people have removed the center speaker and claimed better sound quality. I believe this to be true. The JBL center speaker seems like a marketing ploy (we have 11 speakers) more then anything else. It tends to make strange noises sometimes.

3. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If you are used to decent audio systems you will be disappointed with the JBL system. I found it so poor that I stopped listening to it altogether until I had the time to upgrade it. If you're used to listening to crap you might find it acceptable.

I replaced all the speakers with Infinity component speakers, added a JL Audio subwoofer, and two MTX amps: one 4x100 for the door speakers and one bridged 1x250 for the subwoofer. I did the install myself and it came in well under $1000, and the result is infinitely better than the JBL system.

At a minimum you've got to get rid of the JBL speakers up front, especially the crappy tweeters in the sail panels. You could do that for under $150 by buying replacement speakers on Ebay.

4. syncmaster

syncmaster Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Soylent @ Aug 8 2006, 02:14 PM) [snapback]299700[/snapback]</div>
    I think the bluetooth and JBL are tied together, so if you want the bluetooth you must get the JBL.
    I think JBL fine, after all it's a CAR not a CONCERT HALL.

5. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(syncmaster @ Aug 8 2006, 12:04 PM) [snapback]299721[/snapback]</div>
    My JBL is fine. The car is so much quieter than my Subaru, that I cn actually hear the stereo now. What a difference.

6. Sho-Bud

Sho-Bud Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have no problems withe the JBL-system.
    If you are looking for a bass that someone can feel 5 cars away from you, it will disappoint you, but I feel the music is clean and let's you hear the nuances of the music very well. Bass is precise and tight.
    The settings I use: treble +1, midddle at 0, bass +2. left-right balance 1 or 2 steps to the left and front rear balance 1 or 2 steps behind the driver seat.
    That gives nice stereo-effect.
    Can't compare with the standard audio system, but I'm happy with this one.

7. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From what I've read here, it seems that anyone who cares enough to upgrade their stereo would choose to upgrade it to something *other* than the JBL stereo.

We have the standard stereo in our Prius, and I am satisfied with its performance. On the other hand, I don't spend a tremendous amount of time in the car, so I haven't had time to get sick of it yet.

8. Silverray

Silverray New Member

I ended up with a 2005 with the JBL package and can't say I'm all that impressed so I probably would have been disgusted with the standard stereo. For what they charge, I can't believe it doesn't include a decent graffix equalizer. I love the car but they missed some little things that would make it nicer.

9. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I find the JBL system to be more than adequate. the only thing i might consider is adding a subwoofer at some point. I play mostly MP3s and my music player has a 10 band graphic equalizer on it, so I can customize my sound to my liking, and I like it. I was listening to a live Dave Matthews Band selection earlier this afternoon, and the nine speaker system held its own very well. Granted, my home system is a JBL studio set up, and there is no comparison, but for car audio this factory system is very acceptable, AND I wanted the bluetooth and phone set up, which is tied into the JBL system.

Good luck. Choose wisely grasshopper!! :D :D

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll only rate is adequate. If you're looking for sound, do an upgrade (most have improved sound simply by having a subwoofer so that the main speakers don't have to do the thumping). Also, adding some sound deadening material in the door panels can help. Otherwise, go all out and replace the speakers and add amps.

Go listen to the JBL audio in a Camry. That's how it should sound like.