1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

To John 1701-a

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by That_Prius_Car, Sep 22, 2010.

1. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey John!
    I really enjoy your web-site! I think you did an awesome job!
    Quick question though, your videos that are about the Gen.I, Gen.II, and possibly Gen.III Prius don't work. :( I have a MacBook Pro and I click "Save Link As..." and it saves it to my desktop, but when I click to to watch it, it says that the link is too short, and can not play the video, and when it tries, it plays for a half-second but I don't see anything come up. Is something wrong on your end? Because on my other Mac I had, it did the same thing. :( Sorry for bothering y'all, I just really want to see the videos.

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    did you check that you have the proper codec?

I'll check when i get home later from my Mac, see if i can offer any advice. If you're still using quicktime by default, I've found that VLC handles more video formats a lot better than quicktime does.

1 person likes this.
  3. That_Prius_Car

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think it would be cool to talk with him too.
    He's like a celebrity in my book. Haha.
    His web-site is AWESOME.

4. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've met John. Heck, I've sat in a bar and DRANK with John. :thumb:

He's totally awesome.

5. That_Prius_Car

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just rub-it-in Rae Vynn! :p
    lol, I actually read ALL of his personal data last night on his site, from when he first got his Prius back in 2000, to his new Prius. Took me from 8p.m. to 6:30a.m. :D
    Now I sound creepy haha.

6. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I just tried a few of his videos on my mac... None of them would play in quicktime without downloading new codecs, but they worked just fine in VLC.

7. That_Prius_Car

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, mine tries to use VLC (the orange cone) and it won't play. :(

8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hello.

It's been a scramble to enjoy the last moments of summer, document all I can about my PHV experiences, and finally deliver a User-Guide for the 2010.

In the meantime, I just got a Droid and have been using to to figure out how to make the website look good on wireless handheld devices. Video presentation, of course, is the biggest challenge.

That mp4 codec was the most universally supported of the time. Now, there's probably something better, but I haven't figured out what yet. I also haven't hunted down the original source to some of the files to reconvert them. A few are on VHS!

Any suggestions on a better video file-format?

9. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Download the video and play it using the program VLC.

OP: are you familiar with the private message (PM) feature ?

10. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    John - I'd go with H.264 for video these days. It's supported by Android, Blackberry, and iOS devices, and has full support on Mac's and PC's. It's also the default format for iTunes, which is one of, if not THE most widely distributed media content management system in the world.

I've got a program at home on my Mac called Handbrake that can, among other things, transcode video extremely quickly (faster than realtime). It should be able to read in your existing mp4 videos and spit out H.264 without any problem, and can be easily set up to process a queue so you don't even have to be there while its working. I'll take a few of your videos when i get home and see how they look... If the quality is acceptable, it'll save you a ton of time over ripping them from VHS again :)

11. That_Prius_Car

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sweet!
    I'll have to check that out. :)
    Other than that, Droids are nice, so enjoy!
    I don't know much about computers and what to download for your site. :( The only thing I know about computers are from the Prius. :rolleyes:

12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Handbrake also lets you set up templates for different encoding parameters, so that taking a bunch of full screen mp4 movies and changing them into phone screen sized movies is a snap.

h.264 is a smaller filesize than mpeg-4 all else equal, but I am not sure which format requires more cpu to run smoothly. I do know that h.264 ran fine on the early iphones.

Apple has always been pissy about not bundling native mpeg-4 playback through itunes -- don't ask me why. The better generic cross-platform choice is mpeg-2.

13. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    What's your reasoning for mpeg-2, other than it being around since the mid 90's? I've done my research on H.264... it's compatible with all the major smart phones, iTunes, Quicktime, Windows Media Player, and a huge host of other 3rd party players across multiple OS's. There's an open source implementation that's widely available for Linux based systems. It provides better compression with increased quality than mpeg-2. AND it's included in the blue-ray standard.

I do not know. I just don't see the benefit of going with mpeg-2... unless you want to be backwards compatible with windows 98 :p

14. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I wasn't clear, I meant I would choose mpeg-2 over mpeg-4 for wide compatibility. h.264 is fine if lower-end phones can handle it -- I just do not know.

15. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just do flash video. :) There won't be a need to download.

Better yet, put it on YouTube. It can do HD now.

16. davesrose

davesrose Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I do some video authoring for my work, and have produced some animations for portfolios on phones. I've noticed most will play h.264/AVC encoded mpeg-4 with a mp4 extension (and on Macs and PCs, the .mp4 extension usually defaults to itunes). Versions of h.264 are found in all current media (be it youtube, HD players, cable on demand, even Microsoft Silverlight apps like Netflix).

Apple does have a different container then windows media player. MP4 (AVC/h.264) can be encoded within a mp4, mov, wmv, mkv, m2ts, etc file: they all just have different specs and compression. I just use off the shelf converters for exporting to phones or hand helds(usually keep the ipod/iphone profile and it exports to mp4). For PCs, I prefer wmv over mov because the compression seems better. Although one is more likely to have quicktime installed on a PC vs windows media player for the Mac...so for websites, I grin and bear authoring in Quicktime (anecdotely I usually find that Sorenson does a better job then Apple's use of MP4).

To get an example of the different profiles within AVC/h.264, here's a list of features for some popular encoders:

H.264/MPEG-4 AVC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

17. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    2 people like this.
  18. That_Prius_Car

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius