1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

To Prime or not to Prime. Rebates in 2018?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Windhorse23, Jan 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Windhorse23

Windhorse23 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Dear Prime and Plug-in enthusiasts,
    Tomorrow, I have to trade in my 2012 PiP Advanced with 55K mi. (which I loved) because of mildew from water intrusion followed by dealer's chemical spray that made it worse. Dealership is working with me to take the car back for $14,200, which is probably more than it's worth, though I paid $18,500 for it last Feb.). With paying taxes twice, it's a big loss, but I need to move on, and this is the only dealership that will take such a malodorous car. The decision I need to make by tomorrow, the end of the Toyotathon deals:
    1) Trade for 2014 Advanced PiP with 49K but not certified b/c already recalled for E/V fuse which, they say, will be no problem. It's the same car as my 2012 but lighter gray. I'm tired of gray, but $/warranty more important.
    Cost: $4000 (inclusive) + my trade-in.
    2) Trade for 2017 Prime Plus. Better drive, more $. Nice red exterior with moonstone interior.
    Cost: $14,000 (inclusive) + my trade-in.

After buying a "new" car in Feb., it sucks to have another $ outlay so soon. Prefer not to go in debt, but am thinking of it this way: the Prime = better investment in long run; longer warranty; + hopeful rebates.
    But I'd like to be more confident about rebates and benefits of a Prime.

Questions:
    A) Does anyone know about status of Federal tax rebates for 2017 Primes bought in 2018? Or CA. rebates?
    If the House Tax bill doesn't eliminate them (grrrr) and if CA. still has funding, the Prime could end up costing close to what the 2015 PiP does. But these are big ifs!

B) I don't have a home charging station and may never have one. I rent. They're pricey. Hoping to charge at work etc. Does the EV battery charge when you drive downhill or tap the breaks? Salesperson who sold me 2012 PiP said no need to charge for that reason. A new salesman just said that's incorrect. Another one said it's nuanced. Anyone know the answer? Nutshell: is it worth buying a Prime if you don't have your own charging station, or can you still get better mileage than normal Prius?

C) Aside from Prime being a 4-seater and less room in back (both are bummers but not deal killers), any reason not to go with the Prime (other than the cost) and to stick with older Gen for a bit?

Thanks!

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't have a PLUG-IN - they don't sell them here - I'd love one, and have an outlet ready.

Can you use a Public Charging station - some of our shopping malls have them, and some workplaces allow it?

If it's unlikely that you'll have access to a charging station, I'd consider getting a Gen 4 PRIUS instead, as there would be no advantage in a PRIME - and I'd suggest that a PRIUS would be cheaper.

However - tax rebates could impact on that - surely your dealer would know the tax rebate implications of PRIUS vs PRIME?

Windhorse23 likes this.
  3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.