1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

To remove or not to remove door panels

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by DBM, Jun 26, 2005.

1. DBM

DBM New Member

I went to two highly recommended professionals in my area and got two completely opposite recommendations. So, should I or shouldn't I let them remove the door panels in order to apply tint? What has been your experience?

Remove door panel:
    Pro: The tint film can go all the way to the base of the window ensuring that it will not crease as it's moving up and down.
    Con: Rattles (I hate rattles)

Don't remove door panel:
    Pro: Will not get rattles
    Con: The film may get caught by the window gasket and crease.

So, it there a consensus?

Thanks!

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:d745711c7f]I have not removed my door panels, so this response is hypothetical. It's what I intend to do, however.

I would suggest you remove the door panels to get a better tint, and while they are off, add Dynamat or B-Quiet to cut down on road noise and rattles. There are several threads on both sound deadening products in the Audio section. Also, threads there say that removing the panels and replacing them is easy, they are held on with big plastic clips.[/font:d745711c7f]

3. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Try tintdude.com. I have never even been asked by my tinters and I have never had creasing problems.

4. DBM

DBM New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ray Moore\";p=\"101711)</div>
    Thanks! I did try tintdude.com and I got about a 50/50 response. That's why I was hoping to hear people's experiences. I guess either way goes as long as they are top notch professionals.

5. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have probably had the windows tinted on at least 20 of my cars over the years, including my '05 Prius. None of them ever removed the door panels and I never had any issues re the tint not looking perfect or being able to see the bottom edge of the tint.

As an aside, I have also removed all 4 door panels on my Prius to add sound deadening material to the doors - the panels come off in about 30 seconds, 2 screws and just gently pull the panels off and unplug a few plugs. A monkey could do, believe me. No rattles, no issues. So that should not be a concern to anyone. Good luck.