1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

To tax, or not to tax?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hyo silver, Feb 17, 2012.

1. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's an interesting development. Italy has announced that the Vatican will now be subject to taxation. Churches in most countries have enjoyed tax-exempt status for a very long time. Charitable activities of the catholic church in Italy are still exempt, but the plan is to levy tax on commercial activities. Considering that the Vatican apparently owns about 20% of Italy's properties, there is a considerable amount of money at stake.

What do you think? Should churches be free of all taxation? Is it fair to tax only the non-charitable activity and assets?

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Tax them just like any other business, which is what churches are. Further, like any business, prosecute them if they are guilty of false advertising, misleading claims, or unfounded claims. Give them tax-exempt status for their charitable activities ONLY if there are no church-related activities tied in with the charitable work. E.g.: If they preach a sermon over the meals at a soup kitchen, then its proselytizing and should not be tax exempt; or if they discriminate in any way, they should not be tax exempt. E.g.: If they run an adoption agency but refuse to consider same-sex couples as adoptive parents, then its religious bigotry and should not be tax exempt.

Belief in fairy tales should not be a reason to get an exemption from paying taxes.

4 people like this.
  3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    lol Oh Daniel :)

I really don't agree with everything you say, infact we're probably at opposite sides of many an argument, but you say it in such I way that I can't but like and respect you.

4. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I know a few pastors that have said "bring it on". Thus there would be less for the atheist to complain about. Give to Caesar what is Caesar's. Besides, God allows/establishes the governments of the world for His purposes anyway.

1 person likes this.
  5. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Also, donations going to churches shouldn't be tax-deductible.

6. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Why not? Perhaps all non-for profit / charities then?

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...I am sure glad I am not finance chair of my church anymore!
    You'd be making me nervous, have to start saying my prayers.

8. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Even without their involvement in politics churches should be taxed. Like any component of society they benefit from what governments provide and like everyone should share in that cost. They have just as full access to the courts for redress as citizens, they benefit from government maintained infrastructure, even their communion grape juice and wafers are free of harmful biologics because of FDA oversight of the food industry. Churches must be built in conformance with building codes and the inspection staff salaries are paid through taxes. Making churches pay taxes in no way compromises separation of religion from government just as individuals and businesses paying taxes in no way compromises our various freedoms and privileges. It was a mistake to exempt them; and the tone of the times strongly suggests that mistake will soon be corrected.

1 person likes this.
  9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    As I said above, donations to churches for church activities (building maintenance, pastor salaries, etc.) should not be tax-deductible any more than any other investments or purchases. Churches are selling a service (though I regard it as a fraudulent one) and the purchase of services are not deductible.

Donations to church charities should be tax-deductible, but ONLY under the conditions I outlined above; that is, within a strict non-discrimination protocol: If the church applies any religious criteria within the charity, then it should not be 501(c)3. I.e. if the charity gives preference based on church membership, denomination, color, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, etc., then donations to it should not be deductible. Only if the charity is run as a secular charity and conforms with all non-discrimination criteria and does not piggyback any religious activity on the charitable activities, should it be tax-free.

And a very strong argument can be made against any and all tax deductions and exemptions. The tax code is the wrong way for the government to support activities deemed worthwhile, since they favor the wealthy, who can manipulate them, and make accurate accounting of actual cost:benefit nearly impossible.

10. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^ I've been making that strong argument for years now.
    Unfortunately, the government would be shorting 99-percent of their power to ground if they eliminated all deductions and exemptions.
    So......the piss slinging continues.

11. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yeah that'll teach those people, like the OWS'ers, that the church feeds, treats medically, gives aid in disasters and shelter a real good lesson! :amen:

This will further reduce giving. So they'll have to start cutting back and IMHO they should start with the OWS movement. The Occupy Movement accepts the charity and shelter from the church and then pisses on sacred items and throw's the Bible around in the sanctuary. :thumb:

12. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's another example of social engineering, government support for an activity thought to be socially useful. Every honest thoughtful conservative ought to oppose it.

13. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It shouldn't be for the same reason going to a movie, buying a TV, or attending a concert isn't tax-deductible.

14. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    All 3 of them?

15. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    :rolleyes:

16. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Only a radical liberal commie would say something like this:

(In case you're curious, the radical liberal commie who said that was some guy named Ronald Reagan).

17. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ^ hey, I know that guy...

Ronald Reagan (1992)

and

Should I go on?

18. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, what do you think about charitable organisations being taxed on their non-charitable activities? :whistle:

Some of them might be churches, maybe a really big one in rome, but never mind all that.

Same question, really - if we can see past the red flags of politics and religion.

19. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    By 1992 Regean had advanced senility -- the posts attributed to him are someone else's writing, coming out of his mouth.

I have noticed that repukicans and tea baggers have trouble deciding who is responsible when the writer is different than the speaker. See Ron Paul's newsletters for the latest right wing angst.

20. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You bet your Holy Ghost, they should pay Property Tax, Income Tax, Business Tax, Sin Tax, and what ever taxes the rest of us non gods pay. Exactly why should they get a free ride. At least Vegas pays it's share of tax. Religion is just as much of a Crap Shoot as, well, Craps! :eek:

1 person likes this.