1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

To the Prius v owner driving on 495 this morning...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by 2011RedPrius, Mar 29, 2017.

1. 2011RedPrius

2011RedPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    thank you so much for speeding up to ensure I don't get in front of you as I merged from the on ramp. Traffic was going at breakneck speed of 3 MPH. God I hate NOVA traffic.

That is all. I hope everyone else's commute was better than mine. :)

rp

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    prius on prius hate!:p

RCO likes this.
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I prefer to have the stupid people in front of me where they are less likely to customize my car for me. :cool:

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The beltway is either a parking lot or used for Indy qualifying trials. Alpha Hotels are everywhere but Virginia seems to have more than their fair share. The only time I want to be on the road down there is in the middle of the night.

jerrymildred and RCO like this.
  5. 2011RedPrius

2011RedPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Except I have been in a traffic jam here at 1 am.

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we hit it twice a year going and coming from florida. it's always 'interesting'.:cool:

jerrymildred, RCO and 2011RedPrius like this.
  7. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was still south of DC one time on I-95 iirc, back in the $4/gallon days. Traffic was really thick and running a little under the "limit," bumper to bumper. Imagine my shock when I got passed by a Suburban. Doing at least 100 mph. ON ... THE ... SHOULDER!!

bisco likes this.
  8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Christmas day is a wonderful time to drive through there.

bisco and RCO like this.
  9. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Anybody ever drive through Malaysia? I did on vacation and the roads through jungle are tarmac with no kerb. You can be driving along stay when round a bend coming toward you are cops, who force you off the road so that a royal Prince in his car can pass by unhindered. They do do tend to wave and smile pleasantly for you as you search for your wet wipes(!). I was told they have lots of Royal Family members - maybe even more than us Brits IIRC. :ROFLMAO:

bisco and jerrymildred like this.
  10. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thinking of Washington traffic.... I often listen to Morning Edition on WAMU (through Simple Radio) when I'm brushing my teeth and getting ready for bed. (I like it during Northern winter, when it gets to the stage that Washington's temperature in Fahrenheit gets below our temperature in Centigrade.) Anyway, one time last year, I was particularly amused by the traffic news, when an Amish horse and cart overturned outside the CIA headquarters. It was just such a weird picture to have in my head.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i hear thee.

12. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, they've got a rotating monarchy. One of my classmates at university married one of the princes. He was called Derek, and my friend was called Wanda. "Prince Derek and Princess Wanda" just doesn't sound right. But there you go.

I've only ever been driven in Malaysia, but it's always struck me as a pleasant place to drive.

That said, I went to another friend's wedding, in Penang, a few years ago. My friend's uncle was at my table. He'd driven up from Kuala Lumpur in his new CLK (it was back when CLKs were a thing). He wanted to see how fast it would go. On an empty piece of motorway, he got it up to 250km/h (about 150mph) before he was pulled over by a cop.

Malaysian cops aren't like Thai cops. But nor are they incorruptible. My friend's uncle knew he'd get pulled over, and knew he'd be asked for a bribe. So before he set off, he took most of his money out of his wallet, and put it in his other pocket. The conversation went as follows:

Cop - "You were doing 250 in a 110 zone. I'll have to give you a ticket."
    Uncle (with wallet out) - "Oh dear. Sorry. My new car is so quiet. I didn't realise I was going so fast. Is there any way I can make this problem go away?"
    Cop - "Ummm..... Yes. 100 Ringgit and this never happened."
    Uncle (looks in wallet) - "Ah. I only have 40 Ringgit. Will that do?"
    Cop - "OK la. 40 Ringgit."
    (Uncle gives the cop 40 Ringgit, and races off. After 100 metres, he stops, and reverses back down the hard shoulder.)
    Cop - "What is it?"
    Uncle - "Now I have given you all my money. I have nothing left for the toll gate!"
    Cop - "OK. Here's 20 Ringgit back." ​

I'm not condoning corruption or speeding, but that really did take some chutzpah.

I tend to wait for BMW X5s and Range Rover Sports, and pull in in front of them.

RCO and 2011RedPrius like this.
  13. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Quote @hkmb: Yes, they've got a rotating monarchy. One of my classmates at university married one of the princes. He was called Derek, and my friend was called Wanda. "Prince Derek and Princess Wanda" just doesn't sound right. But there you go. Unquote

LOL. We were on a fly-drive holiday from Penang to Singapore over two weeks. Started at the Casuarina Beach hotel Penang for a few days to acclimatise then drive across the mountains to the NE coast. The hire car was several hours late getting to us and we only just scraped through the first check point before the cut off time. Apparently there were active groups of 'bandits' operating along the route and heavily armed Govt police manned check points during daylight hours, but the road was officially closed when they packed up for the night. Stayed at several hotels on the coast drive south, including the Tanjong Jara Altogether one helluvan adventure, but the local people were absolutely great. Last few nights were in Singapore, don't remember name of hotel, but very sad to leave. Fantastic memories linger yet....(y)