1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

To those who use Mobil 1 Synthetic

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by treehggr, Aug 30, 2007.

1. treehggr

treehggr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hello, I just changed over to Mobil 1 synthetic 5wx30. I bought 4 quarts and headed on over to my dealer. I gave them the instructions to give me a 1/2 quart back to avoid overfill as I've heard on here. My question is how do we know they didn't use a generic brand and a 1/2 quart of my Mobil 1 and keep the 3 unopened quarts? Does the stock oil have a different color? Is there even a way to check and make sure. I'm just paranoid I'm sure but I just find it really hard to trust anyone here in Az for any kind of service. Thanks.

2. unruhly

unruhly New Member

Trust...That's why I change my own oil. Mobil-1 all the way.

I have noticed that it has a slightly different smell than dino oils. To describe a smell might be hard though... Something along the lines of a little more acidic, but not as pungent?

It's really easy to change the oil on the Prius by the way.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(treehggr @ Aug 30 2007, 03:04 PM) [snapback]504425[/snapback]</div>

3. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There ya go. Smell the half quart they give you, then sniff your oil dipstick. Should be close to the same. :)
    because, you're gonna double-check the oil level, right?

4. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Other than watching them do it, or do it yourself.....there is no way you'll ever know for sure.
    How do know they changed the oil filter?, that stunt has been pulled many times.
    If you want something done right.........

5. emtownsend

emtownsend New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I would like to start doing my own changes also after my dealership wanted $65+ for a synthetic oil change... I used to do it all the time on my other cars. Question is, can an owner still do their own changes and keep the warranty valid? Do I just keep the paperwork? Thanks!

6. treehggr

treehggr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    OK, I told them to put in 3.5 quarts. The oil level is at the top dot on the dipstick, the full mark. Does this sound right?

7. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(treehggr @ Aug 30 2007, 02:56 PM) [snapback]504529[/snapback]</div>
    Well... maybe.
    If they measured it out with a measuring cup, then, no, that's not right. It would be about 2 ml low... so, it would be about a mm below the dot.
    If they sorta eye-balled "about a half" and checked the dipstick to make sure, then yes.
    How much did they give you back?

8. treehggr

treehggr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    They gave me back a little less then half.

9. Green Hokie

Green Hokie Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Keep in mind that they may not have "completely" drained the oil prior to refilling. This would explain why your oil level is at the top of the full mark with only 3.5 quarts added. I can't see a Toyota service tech bothering to wait long enough for a more thorough drain prior to refilling. Afterall, he/she's gotta to move on to the next job!

10. treehggr

treehggr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Green Hokie @ Aug 30 2007, 05:23 PM) [snapback]504594[/snapback]</div>
    True. This was by far the longest I have ever waited for an oil change though. I was there for about 2 hours. Got there at 9am on a weekday too. I could only imagine the weekend.

11. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you're worried about the filter not getting changed, make a little
    mark on it that you know about and check for it after they're done.
    _H*

12. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Aug 30 2007, 09:20 PM) [snapback]504728[/snapback]</div>
    +1. Also, +1 on the smell of Mobil 1 to confirm that Mobil 1 was in fact what was filled for the oil. Mobil 1 has a unique smell that is completely different from dyno oil. It is hard to describe, but one whiff of the 1/2 full bottle of Mobil 1 as a reference and you can tell based on what the dipstick smells like whether you have Mobil 1 in the oil pan. Now, if you really want to obsess about how your car is serviced, try this one - request that the oil filter be filled with Mobil 1 before installation to avoid dry starting the engine.... Unfortunately short of doing the job yourself, there is no way to be certain that the oil filter was pre-filled with oil before being fitted to the engine.

13. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ Aug 31 2007, 03:15 PM) [snapback]504751[/snapback]</div>
    I wouldn't bother, modern oils will remain on the bearings long enough for the pump to fill the filter before the oil film breaks down. I only ever do this on a full engine rebuild and I lube the inside of the pump and all bearings with molybdenum grease.
    The filter on Prius is so small it will fill in 2 seconds or less. Cold start would be more damaging than an oil change without priming the filter.

14. sentrasixspeed

sentrasixspeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Green Hokie @ Aug 30 2007, 07:23 PM) [snapback]504594[/snapback]</div>
    A little trick I tried when changing my own oil to make sure i get all the old stuff out is after draining as much out as possible, i inserted the blow gun from my compressor and at LOW pressure blew air in thru the dipstck tube. I probabaly got another 1/2 qt out. Keep in mind to use LOW pressure.Has anyone else tried this?

15. tekn0wledg

tekn0wledg New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(unruhly @ Aug 30 2007, 03:19 PM) [snapback]504434[/snapback]</div>
    Somehow we've gone from oil to wine tasting :lol:

Kidding, that's actually a really good recommendation!

16. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Another way to get oil cleaner is after draining but before changing filter,replace the drain plug and put just under 1 pint or half a litre of oil in the engine. Start the engine, force it to run with air con or heater for a few seconds to flush clean oil through galeries then drain and change filter. Now refill. You still don't get all the old oil out but there will be half as much of it.

17. treehggr

treehggr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks for all the info everyone. I appreciate the help. I will make a mark on the filter next time to make sure too. Thats a good idea. I think I feel confident enough to say that my car does contain the Mobil 1 I purchased. I think the best bet is to just do it yourself I guess.