1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

To those with the EV mod...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by treehggr, Jun 9, 2007.

1. treehggr

treehggr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I know this has probably been discussed a thousand times but for those of you who have done this mod, I have a few questions.

Do you use it every time you drive for certain situations or only every now and then?

Does the battery deplete fairly quick?

I just installed the flasher mod yesterday and only took it for a quick test drive to see it in action.

Also I was wondering if anyone has used it for accelerating from a stop light to avoid using the ICE for the first 20-30 mph and then use the ICE to get you to your desired pulse speed? I was wondering if this would be beneficial seeing that you would only be using it for a shot period of time?

Any ideas on uses would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Brandon

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(treehggr @ Jun 9 2007, 04:27 PM) [snapback]458826[/snapback]</div>
    Yes it has, even in the last few days. Just scrolling through the last few day's posts will give you a lot of info.

Almost every time I drive, but usually only to shut off the ICE as I approach stops when I wasn't above 35mph before seeing the stop.

Sure, if you push the car using the EV button...but you shouldn't do that, that's not what it's for. It helps me recharge the battery when I'm in EV mode and coasting to a stop with the ICE off.

no, it's never benefitial to use it under times where there are high power needs, that's why we have the ICE...it should be used only in situations where the ICE might otherwise run/start but power needs are low or zero.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Never use the EV mode to accelerate. This is very inefficient. (Though you can do it if you find it fun and are willing to waste gasoline. You'll have to be gentle on the pedal, though, or the car will issue an EV DENY and start the engine.)

The proper time to use EV mode is when power demand is very low due to steady-speed driving on level ground AND the battery SOC is high BUT the car won't go into electric mode for whatever reason. OR when you are approaching a stop and you want to shut off the engine sooner than the car would otherwise do it. HOWEVER it's good, once the car is warm, to allow it to shut off the engine itself once, as this will encourage it to enter Stage 4 operation, where it makes the best use of its hybrid programming.

4. bc104

bc104 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Daniel, what are the stages? I haven't heard of them before. Thank you for your help.

5. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

6. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  7. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    It's rarely that I use the EV mode. Mainly if I'm in a large parking lot and need to move the Prius. It isn't necessary to run the ICE during such a short trip and the amount the battery goes down generally doesn't effect the amount of time the ICE runs when I'm on the way home.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes I use it but not on a daily basis. I have accelerated in EV mode just to see what it feels like and it feels great! However, just note that it will be detrimental to your mileage unless you have a hill to recharge right after.

9. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(treehggr @ Jun 9 2007, 05:27 PM) [snapback]458826[/snapback]</div>
    [Everyday] Pretty much, yes. There are places where I might not have had to stop before the engine warms up enough but the car would go into EV on its own if the engine were warmed up.
    [Battery depletion] No, because I don't use it THAT much :) On a nearly flat road at 25 MPH, I can go a mile and only drop a couple of bars. There are some VERY little rises that cause the car to drop out of 'automatic' EV. The computer doesn't know just how small or short that rise is!
    [EV to accelerate] In a sense. There is one place (25 MPH) on my commute where there are 4 stop signs in 1/3 mile. Rather than have the ICE run, I force EV for that section, the battery SOC (as seen on the MFD) does not drop. A couple of the stops are so close together that I don't even get up to 25 MPH before I start slowing for the stop. I surely wouldn't use it to get up to 32 MPH just to keep the ICE off for a short time if there isn't another immediate stop.

Other places you might use it - if you have a line of cars at a stop sign but the car isn't warmed enough to stay in EV on its own. Cancel EV mode when you leave the stop sign. I also use it in big parking lots when I expect I'll get to the main road and have to sit at a signal.

I never (intentionally) let it drop the battery SOC below half before canceling EV.

10. Pegasus_

Pegasus_ New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bruceha_2000 @ Jun 28 2007, 03:36 PM) [snapback]469637[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, you needn't worry about this. The computer babies the NiMH battery rediculously! (Toyota rightly prefers the better-safe-than-sorry approach on this in order guarantee no loss on the battery warranty.)
    I read here (2nd paragraph) that the SOC display on the MFD isn't 0-100%, it's actually 40-80%. So even if you drained the battery to zero bars (which the computer will refuse to do,) the battery would still be perfectly fine. (I also own an all-electric car and got my education on batteries since in that one I routinely take them from 100% SOC to 10% and back again in a day. ;) )