1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

To trade or not to trade

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Johno, May 24, 2004.

1. Johno

Johno Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have a 02 VW Passat, Red with tan interior, loaded, 4 cyl turbo, leather, Monsoon JBL stereo. Beautiful car, clean with 14k miles. I have been trading in my cars for many years. I know I might get more on the street but if you figure in the sales tax savings by trading in the car, well, is it worth the hassle? I probably will get 14k to 15k for my car. It cost 24k two years ago.
    How would I sell this car if I chose not to trade it in?

2. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You can try posting it for sale on www.vwvortex.com, or post it in the Private Sales forum here on PriusChat. That's just a start.

3. cybele

cybele New Member

I sold my 1994 Subaru Impreza myself just before my Prius came in.

I'd never sold a car on my own (I traded in my old Camry last time).

I placed an ad with lots of pictures on an BBS (craigslist.org) and created a little geocities website for it. I priced it at exactly what Edmunds and Kelly BlueBook valued it at ($3250 - only 65K miles).

I set up an email address just to handle inquiries and only after I felt comfortable that the person was really interested, I gave them my work number and arranged to show the car from work or from a 7-11 down the street from me. I showed the car 5 times, and sold it within a week for exactly what I hoped - $3,000.

The key for me, at least, was to have lots of photos of everything available - the upholstery, bumpers, trunk space, the dash, a scan of the original window sticker, and even had a spreadsheet of all the maintenance I'd done.

The good thing about your car is that it's still within the manufacturer's warranty period, which should provide more confidence to the prospective buyers.

When trading in an older car, the difference between wholesale and retail is usually only a few hundred dollars - but with a solid newer car like yours it will probably mean thousands.

You can always try to sell it on your own and make the deal that they take delivery when your Prius comes in and if you can't, there's always the trade-in option.

4. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

ebay motors?

5. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That could be a bit sticky since the delivery date of a new Prius is totally unknown until maybe a week before you get it. If Cybele's marketing suggestions were set up before hand, and put out to the public only once you heard from the dealer, it would be fine. Also, since it IS a newer car, it should be easier to sell as there isn't as big a market for 8-10 year old cars since the future reliability is less certain. You could even take it to a dealr now ans ask what they would give you in trade so you have a number in hand for private sale. If you can't do better, trade it in.

Also, I think the value of any car you sell can be taken off the price of the new car for tax purposes, but I could be wrong.

6. Wolfpack

Wolfpack New Member

If you are looking to sell, try Cars.com or Autotrader.com. Both sites run about $20-$30 per ad and the ad runs until your car sells. The best thing is that you reach a wider audience than just taking out an ad in the newspaper. I sold my car through both of these sites and had the same number of interested buyers from either so I can't say one is better than the other. Hope that helps.

7. Johno

Johno Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    In PA, you only pay sales tax on the net amount you owe the dealer. So if I trade my car in say for 14k, at 6% sales tax, equals $840 I save on the bottom line in taxes. So I would have to sell my car for more than $14,840 for it to start making sense. I should probably try it but my car is due in this week. I have to drive over five hours to get the car. I doubt anyone wants to give me a ride. I think I'll drive the car to the dealer and trade it. It's only money.

8. ny888

ny888 New Member

I don't think the sales tax savings on trade-ins works here in California. Perhaps someone else from CA can chime in with their experience since the car I'll be selling is a 2002 and probably won't get a good value from a dealer.

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Ha ha ha. When I told a friend that I had ordered a Prius, he asked me what I'd do with my Civic. I told him I'd sell it, because the Toyota dealer only offered me $300 for it. (Kelly Blue Book around $2,000. - Obviously, the dealer just didn't want it.) Two days later another friend called me. "Steve says you're going to sell your Civic." I told her yes, but not until the Prius comes in. She said, "I'll wait!" So I had a deal to sell my Civic at my original asking price of $2,000 two months before I had my Prius. No ads, no letting strangers take it out to test-drive, no worry, no hassle.

Obviously, I could have gotten more for it had I wanted to hassle. See what the dealer will give you for your old car, check out the Kelly Blue Book price, and decide if the difference is worth the hassle. It might not be for you, if you generally trade in.