1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

To v or not to v, THAT is the question...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by mudmanrv, Apr 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mudmanrv

mudmanrv Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I hope I don't get yelled at for double posting this...in both the v and 3rd gen forums - but it applies to both.

I'm looking at a Prius as my next vehicle. I currently drive a 2000 Chevy Blazer that gets roughly 20mpg. I drive 100 miles per day ... give or take - I commute 42 miles one way for work, then a run for lunch, trip home, etc. adds up to 100 a day for comparison sake.

So, at $4/gal gas, - it costs me roughly $20/day to drive to work, and on average lately - 450-500 a month in gas just to drive to work. Now, the car is paid for - so no payment, just maintenance.

I was looking at the Prius - for the mileage of 50 combined... but I also looked at the new V - due to it's cargo size being nearly identical to the blazer. I occasionally haul drums, and pa gear -- which i can fit in the back of the balzer with the seats up. except for a rack which i stand up in front of rear seats in foot area...

I have 3 kids - age 11, 7, and 8 months...so one car seat. my other vehicle is a montana mini-van.

primary function, commuter car. (all highway, set the cruze at 60 except for a few slow spots and stop lights, relatively flat terrain)

Occasional family use, rare since we have the van.

My question is - for the difference in cost to purchase, and the cost difference associated with the 40mpg vs 50mpg, which would you buy? I'm stuck...

I'm looking at level 3 trim package on both with only floormats - no solar roof or decals, etc. if I could - I would go full 5 with tech pkg. my budget i'm afraid will leave me capped at about $26k.

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.