1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

today's puzzle: how did all 4 tires get cupped on the inside?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by mainerinexile, May 27, 2011.

1. mainerinexile

mainerinexile No longer in exile!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Four months after I bought my Prius III last year, we discovered that the left rear wheel was so out of alignment that it ruined the tire in 5,000 miles, and then also ruined the one put in its place during regular tire rotation. Toyota replaced the entire set of tires, and I checked the alignment this fall and again this spring when I took off the snow tires. Everything looked fine. Nevertheless, when I rotated the tires today, the tech reported that ALL FOUR tires were substantially cupped on the inside, after only 6,000 miles on this set of tires. Road noise has become much higher.

It doesn't make sense that all four wheels got similarly out of alignment in just two months. Does anyone have a theory about what the problem is?

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When you said you "checked the alignment", did you mean you had it checked professionally? What were the specs?

3. mainerinexile

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, the dealer did the alignment, and presumably they should have been motivated to do it right so they wouldn't be responsible for ANOTHER set of tires.

After alignment, the camber/caster/toe stats were: LF 0.1/6.0/.13; RF -.6/5.3/.17; LR -1.3/.1; RR-1.5/-.02.

4. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Certainly sounds as if you have some kind of suspension problem, alignment, something bent or broken, etc.

Not all alignment equipment is properly maintained and not all mechanics know how to use the equipment. If it were me I would go to another dealer or a good alignment shop and have it rechecked. I would also recommend getting a copy of the before/after alignment numbers printed out by the alignment machine so you can post them here.

It might also be helpful if you knew how much the tires were worn. Perhaps you could have them checked across the tread with a tread wear gauge.

How much pressure do you use in your tires? Have you had any drivability problems such as pulling, tracking, vibrations, etc?

5. mainerinexile

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Tire pressure 42/40, no drivability problems such as pulling or vibration, . Since I don't see how all four wheels could get out of alignment in such a way to cup all four tires on the inside at the same time, the suggestion makes sense that the balancing at the tire shop was somehow wrong on all four tires.

6. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would bet they were all out of alignment at the factory. That is why they offer a free alignment for the first year.
    Were your snows cupped too?

7. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    my Brother was a tire store manager and he stated that getting a good alignment guy who actually knew what he was doing was a very tough thing to do.

8. mainerinexile

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The right rear was definitely out of alignment from the factory. Fixed that one, and the snows appear to be fine after the winter. Put on the almost-new summer tires in March, and they all cupped in two months. I am betting on poor wheel balance at changeover, although I'm not how it could happen.

I would also think that if all four wheels were so poorly aligned as to cause this problem, the gas mileage would go down because the tires would be scrapping (plowing) along the road. In fact my mpg has stayed up at 55-ish the past couple of months.

9. cit1991

cit1991 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My OEM tires all cupped fast too (Goodyears). I had new Michelins put on at about 25k, and they checked the alignment. All wheels were within specs.

The new tires are ok so far, but I'm watching them carefully now.

Lots of people have been reporting this problem.

1 person likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we had the same problem with 2 tires on our hycam.