1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

toggle switches on 2004 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusLove, Apr 27, 2006.

1. PriusLove

PriusLove New Member

We just bought a 2004 Prius from a Kia dealer and we love it. We also love the wealth of information we are learning from this board.

But we are mystified by the two silver toggle switches at the bottom of the dashboard, way below the steering wheel. The dealer doesn't know what they are and Toyota shop foreman could only say that they are some type of aftermarket add-on.

Does anyone have any idea what they are for?

2. adavidw

adavidw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusLove @ Apr 27 2006, 08:41 AM) [snapback]246116[/snapback]</div>

Tell the dealer and shop to RTFM (Read The Fine Manual). The one on the left is to turn the Smart Key System off, for instances like leaving the car for a few weeks, or to avoid valet confusion. The one on the right resets the tire monitor when you hold it for three seconds when the ignition's on but not ready. That's for when you change the tire pressure or rotate the tires or something.

-Aaron

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Aaron @ Apr 27 2006, 08:58 AM) [snapback]246133[/snapback]</div>
    On my 2005, the SKS is a pushbutton, not a toggle (although it may be a toggle on the 2004). And the 2004 does not have the tire pressure monitor.

4. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Aaron @ Apr 27 2006, 08:58 AM) [snapback]246133[/snapback]</div>
    The 2004 did not have the tire monitor. Sounds like an EV mod to me.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And the SKS button is NOT silver, it's black so I don't know what the silver buttons are.

PriusLove, care to take some pictures for us? It'll help clarify things.

6. adavidw

adavidw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Apr 27 2006, 09:32 AM) [snapback]246150[/snapback]</div>
    I stand at least partially corrected; I didn't notice it was 2004. Knowing that, I'm virtually certain that one switch is for the nitro and the other is for the hydraulics. Of course, pictures might help to clear that up.

7. PriusLove

PriusLove New Member

The Smart Key system is ton a button on the same panel.

The manual shows two blank spots next to that. These spots are where these silver toggles are now.

I'll try to get a picture. In the meantime, I am trying to get in touch with the origianl owner with this question, and to see about having their extended warranty transferred.

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusLove @ Apr 27 2006, 01:16 PM) [snapback]246196[/snapback]</div>
    Have you crawled under the dash to try to trace the wires? Or have the wires been disconnected by the orginal owner?

Have you tried flipping the switches? Do you have NAV and BT phone? They may be overrides for the speed sensors for those features. Turn on your NAV while in motion, go to the page where you can touch the soft-keys to enter destination. While in motion flip each switch and see if those soft-keys become active.

For the BT you can either go to the Phone list (not the one-touch, but the regular phone list) which will become active when you flip the switch, or just look at the energy screen, if the wheels on the car stop turning it's for the BT phone.

One may be for the EV mod, but a toggle isn't the best way to implement that.

9. PriusLove

PriusLove New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 27 2006, 01:39 PM) [snapback]246209[/snapback]</div>

OOPS, sorry about the misplaced quote.

Yeah, two toggle switches for an EV mod didn't seem right.

We have Nav and BT phone capability; and have barely learned how to use the first, are completely ignorant on the second, but I will try your suggestions. I can tell the previous owner used the nav system quite a bit, from the number of So. Cal destinations plugged in, so you may have found the answer.

I will also look under the dash and see if I see anything enlightening.

Thanks a bunch!

10. slortz

slortz New Member

Make sure you don't have anyone you like sitting in the passenger seat when you test the switch...could be an ejection seat mod. :D

11. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the previous owner was techi enough to mod the NAV and BT he might also have an EV mod installed...that would be a nice little bonus for ya! Check the cruise control...Immediately after you enter "READY" mode next start up (within the first 4 seconds of pushing the power button) pull back on the CC stalk for a full two seconds. See if the MFD switches to the Energy screen and/or the ICE does not start up.

If that doesn't do it try the same proceedure with the headlight flasher stalk. Also, make sure there's not a little button next to the dimmer switch.

12. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 27 2006, 04:45 PM) [snapback]246357[/snapback]</div>
    Mine takes three seconds.

13. Amyshubby

Amyshubby 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Aaron @ Apr 27 2006, 11:58 AM) [snapback]246133[/snapback]</div>
    "F" is for fine? My assumption was not nearly as G rated! :D

14. adavidw

adavidw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Amyshubby @ Apr 28 2006, 08:35 AM) [snapback]246653[/snapback]</div>
    Your assumption's correct, but I was practicing a little self-censorship for this family-oriented board!