1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toll-Road Cruise Sticker

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by crellion, Dec 30, 2010.

1. crellion

crellion Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had a toll-road cruise-card sticker on my windshield that went bad and so the Toll Road Authority is sending me a replacement. This is one of those sticker-type RFID transmitters. I only had it for a few months, but the sticker-transmitter stuck on there pretty hard.

I thought it was going to be easy peeling the old bad-sticker off my windshield but I ended up spending a good while (and a lot of elbow-grease) taking off the hard sticky-residue left behind using Windex and a credit-card as a scraper.

After that, I decided never to stick anything to my windshield again. Are there any way I can use my replacement transmitter without sticking that thing again to my windshield (don't want to have to ever do that again!)

2. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are better things than Windex to help with sticky residue. Goof-Off is a good product, and in a pinch you can use a bit of vegetable oil. Glass cleaners alone are fine for grease and grime but don't do squat against glue in my experience.

3. Solscud007

Solscud007 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

exactly. Windex is NOT recommended for removing glue residue.

The top choices are:

WD40
    Lighter fluid
    Goo-gone

Also you should try heat next time. I have had plenty of good resutls removing stickers, car badging etc with a hairdryer. Get an extension cord and a hair dryer.

Then heat up the Toll tag for a couple minutes, it will be hot so becareful. The idea is the reactivate the glue. With heat, the glue looses its tackiness and is pliable. after it cools down it will be tacky again.

also a credit card is second best for such a task. You should get a window scraper.

http://www.personna.com/personna/im...uct_al_hd_window_scraper_features_375x375.jpg

4. crellion

crellion Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well luckily - I finally did get it all off. The issue was that it wasn't just the sticky residue that got left on, but also remnants of the RFID antenna and paper materials. I was originally thinking of using a metal box-cutter at an angle, but was afraid of damaging the glass - so I resorted to the safer credit-card method.

I also had Goo-Gone, but again, probably would have had a hard time because of the mixed residual...

From your feedback, I'm guessing the Prius windshield is a bit more durable than I take it for...