1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tom's Floor Strengthening Brace

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by adamorzol, May 4, 2007.

1. adamorzol

adamorzol New Member

Prius Gurus:

I had a shop professionally install the Tom's Floor Strenghting Brace for me today.

When accelerating I hear some major "creaks and rattles and rubbing" from the underbelly where the brace is apparently rubbing on some plastic parts or some metal parts.

Does anyone have a cure that can get rid of the noise?

The brace does make a significant difference in the feel of the suspension, but the rubbing noises are driving me crazy!

Please advise.

2. SaeGai06

SaeGai06 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(UNWIRED @ May 4 2007, 05:11 PM) [snapback]435737[/snapback]</div>

UNWIRED,

I too had the same problem when I installed my brace. The brace sits really close to the cars catalytic converter. Whenever the engine starts, even hitting bumps in the road, it shakes just enough to touch the TOM'S bar.

I only saw one way to fix the problem, besides removing it. I ended up pounding a flat spot in the catalytic converter where the bar meets the converter. Now all is quiet and no change in milage.

good luck!

3. adamorzol

adamorzol New Member

I had an "exhaust wrap" put on the brace today where it touched the catalytic converter and now there is no more noise and it works really well.

4. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Exhaust wrap, eh? Was it a specific product or did you just choose some heat proof material? I still gotta get my floor brace installed, and a wrap would beat hammering down the cat.

5. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hello guys,

I thought I would jump in here and make a recomendation. I would advise AGAINST banging on the catalytic converter as these devices normally consist of a ceramic honeycomb substrate wich is extemely brittle and easy to damage. By banging on the cat to provide adequate clearance you can very easily damage or destroy the internals of the converter. This leads to two things: Inadequate reduction of emissions caused by the much reduced effeciency ot the unit and a blocked converter causing too much backpressure to the engine and a loss of power and efficiency.

The exhaust wrap is definately the way to go here. I have used in the past a product called Thermotec and had excellent results with them. I have used it on race cars with open tube headers that often reach temperatures of over 1000 degrees F and this wrapping material has held up well.

Catayltic converters often run at temperatures exceeding 1200-1500 degrees so be VERY careful when installing anything on or near these devices. If you install the wrong material you can very easily end up with something catching on fire!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ May 9 2007, 01:46 AM) [snapback]438097[/snapback]</div>