1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toms rear brace conflicts w/ BT Tech Stiffening?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by prius62, May 23, 2007.

1. prius62

prius62 Junior Member

I noticed in another thread tonight that someone said there might be a conflict between these two Mods.

I have the BT plate installed and I am going to get the Tom's rear suspension member strengthening brace installed on Friday. Do I need to reinstall the stock chassis plate/brace.

The Tom's instructions are in Japanese, but a picture does show that part of the strengthening brace does get installed in the same area as the BT tech mod. I will likely bring the stock piece with me just in case.
    Thanks for any insight.

2. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You just need to remove the BT plate to install the rear suspension member. Fortunately, you won't be needing that stock plate, either.

3. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ May 23 2007, 07:44 PM) [snapback]448681[/snapback]</div>
    What about conflict between the TOM'S rear suspension brace and the catalytic converter?

4. SaeGai06

SaeGai06 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ May 23 2007, 08:48 PM) [snapback]448751[/snapback]</div>
    The TOM'S rear suspension brace doesn't conflict with the catalytic converter, it's the TOM'S floor strengthening brace that does.

Cheers

5. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SaeGai06 @ May 23 2007, 09:10 PM) [snapback]448776[/snapback]</div>
    Well, that is interesting news.... Maybe a new bit to be added to my car then. What is the construction of the TOM'S rear suspension brace? Aluminum or steel? Or???? Since (based on your signature) it seems you have all of the TOM'S suspension bits installed, what is your opinion of the handling improvement? I am going to be installing the front upper and lower suspension braces next week. If the TOM's rear brace is steel (don't want to have issues with galvanic corrosion from an aluminum-steel mis-match with the BT plate) and it improves the handling, I may place an order with Sigma for the TOM'S rear brace.

6. prius62

prius62 Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ May 23 2007, 07:44 PM) [snapback]448681[/snapback]</div>
    Great news...thanks.

7. SaeGai06

SaeGai06 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    [/quote] name='apriusfan' date='May 23 2007, 09:28 PM' post='448792']
    What is the construction of the TOM'S rear suspension brace? Aluminum or steel? What is your opinion of the handling improvement? If the TOM's rear brace is steel (don't want to have issues with galvanic corrosion from an aluminum-steel mis-match with the BT plate) and it improves the handling, I may place an order with Sigma for the TOM'S rear brace.
    [/quote]

I beleive that the braces are made from tubular steel and coated with anti corrosion paint. The handling after installing these braces were great. Definitely more solid than stock, less flexing in the vehicle during high speed turns. If you decide to install the Rear Suspension Brace you won't have to worry about the BT Plate, since the rear suspension brace has 3 points of contact and 1 of them is the BT plate position (picture attached). You'll most likely be able to sell that here on PriusChat.

My goal when installing these bars was to gain the best handling without changing the shocks and spring in which would lower the vehicle. But, i've come to realize that good shocks and springs are the heart of a good suspension setup. I'll be ordering my Sportivo Suspension soon.

Attached are the pictures of my TOM'S braces.

[attachmentid=8281][attachmentid=8282]
    [attachmentid=8283][attachmentid=8284]
    [attachmentid=8285][attachmentid=8286]
    [attachmentid=8287][attachmentid=8288]
    [attachmentid=8289][attachmentid=8290]

Attached Files:

8. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius62 @ May 23 2007, 05:46 PM) [snapback]448652[/snapback]</div>
    Tom's rear brace replaces the stock/BT brace. If you chop an A in half, the lower half is Tom's brace, and that crossbar is what the stock/BT brace cover as seen in:
    [​IMG]
    and the lower front of the picture:
    [​IMG]
    Yes, it's that insignificant an area, and considering that Tom's rear brace covers more area and connects to suspension elements, it should have a noticeable effect.

SaeGai06, I'll probably join you for the Tom's lower front, and rear braces, but it's kinda difficult to justify the need after the Sportivo. :)

9. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I appreciate the feedback on the different TOM'S braces.

Unfortunately, the TRD suspension is really not a viable option for me due to the lowered ride height. Given the "best-of-breed" road conditions in the S.F. Bay Area, I really do not want to be scraping the underside of the car. If I were to roll the dice on a lowered ride height, I would also have to install a skid plate to protect the drivetrain components.

So, with that in mind, do I also need the center brace? Or, would a mix of front (upper and lower) and rear suspension braces do the trick?

10. SaeGai06

SaeGai06 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ May 23 2007, 10:51 PM) [snapback]448851[/snapback]</div>
    I believe that the above items will do the trick. The Floor Strengthening brace (middle) didn't make a noticable difference to me.

Cheers

11. prius62

prius62 Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ May 23 2007, 10:51 PM) [snapback]448851[/snapback]</div>
    I appreciate the feedback too. Great pics. FWIW i purchased my Prius used and drove it stock for awhile...probably about 2,000 miles. Maybe it is just me but I think i scrape things less on the underside of the car because the suspension is more firm. Maybe I'm used to driving my lowered lexus GS sedan, but I don't notice the ride height being a problem with the LA/OC streets.

When I bought the car used, there were holes scraped though the very front underside cover. I had the dealer replace them. I just checked yesterday and still no problems with the new underside cover.

Also, don't forget, part of the handling improvement comes from lowering the center of gravity. Of course totally your call, just sharing some thoughts.

12. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ May 23 2007, 09:51 PM) [snapback]448851[/snapback]</div>
    How much is too much lowering?

Sportivo lowers 1" in the front, and .5" in the back. I have yet to scrape any drive train on any reasonable terrain (there was once, but the dip&high-ramp would've scraped any other car). My front spoiler's underside is a slightly different story, albeit mostly light scraping.

I heard SFer's scrape their bumpers more on them hills and that ever friendly parking.

13. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike @ May 24 2007, 12:18 AM) [snapback]448874[/snapback]</div>
    As you have noted at the end of your post, hills (high-centering) and driveways (angle of approach and departure) pose the greatest challenges. 1 inch in the front would definitely result in scraping. And, since driveways are an everyday kind of experience, I just don't see lowering being an option for me.

14. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SaeGai06 @ May 23 2007, 11:55 PM) [snapback]448818[/snapback]</div>
    Those braces look SWEET!!

I promised myself...no more mods...but, darn...these are *really* tempting. And I do find myself curious about what it'll feel like to add some rigidity to my car.

Thank you for the pictures.

So I've got my info straight, I'm seeing the "Tom's rear suspension brace," the "Tom's floor strengthening brace" (the middle one which conflicts with the catcon in its stock location) and the "Tom's lower front suspension brace"...is that correct?

Thank you...thinking about adding the rear and lower front braces (but not the floor brace) soon and maybe the Tom's exhaust tip/muffler combo, too...
    [gulp]

15. SaeGai06

SaeGai06 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ May 24 2007, 02:59 PM) [snapback]449390[/snapback]</div>
    Pinto Girl,

The TOM'S floor strengthening brace (FSB) is not pictured, only the front lower and the rear. The FSB installs closer to the front of the vehicle, which is where the the catalytic converter is. The TOM'S Rear Suspension Brace (RSB) has 2 parts, 1 triangle looking piece and 1 horizontal piece that installs a rear portion of the rear suspension.

[attachmentid=8306]

Adding these lower braces will definitely reduce body flex and your vehicle will become more responsive during high speed turns.

I was debating on the TOM'S exhaust too but, I don't want to take another MPG hit.

Cheers

Attached Files:

16. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SaeGai06 @ May 24 2007, 06:07 PM) [snapback]449423[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you SO MUCH for getting back to me so quickly! I really appreciate your help.

Do you mind my asking...about the installation of the front lower and rear braces, how involved is it? Do the parts bolt on, or is it more of a custom job? I'm trying to figure out if I can do myself...or if I'll need help creating mounting points on the chassis.

17. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It should be a bolt on, like the rest of the Tom's pieces.

18. SaeGai06

SaeGai06 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ May 24 2007, 05:26 PM) [snapback]449458[/snapback]</div>
    It's definitely a job that can be done with at home. All mounting points are already there. Jack up the car and put it on jack stands and your ready to go.

The lower front brace was the easiest. You looses the 2 bolts on the lower suspension untill they're about 1/4 inch out, then you insert one side of the bar and slowly expand the brace to jiggle the other side in. Once both sides are in and the lower bar is expanded all the way, tighten the suspension bolts, then with a wrench give the lower bar some more tension but, not too much, too much will cause your steering wheel to be off centered. (i learned this one from personal experience) Tighten the lock nuts and your done with the front.

For the rear, you'll have to remove the plastic covers that conseal the mounting points of the lower part (triangle base and located right below the rear passenger doors)of the brace. Then remove the factory brace (or BT plate) for the tip of the triangle brace. Raise the suspension brace into place and slowly tighten bolts.

The horizontal bar took a bit of work. you'll have to remove the rear suspension bolts (picture shows mounting position). Slide the bar into place and feed the new bolt (supplied) thru (the fun part). Once both bolts are thru and you've hand tightened the nut, your ready to insert the spacers. The spacers go inbetween the contact points of the bar and the cars mounting point. You'll have to use a screwdriver to pry some space to feed the spacers in. This helps make a solid contact point. Without these spacers, you'll hear noises while driving over bumps and some turns (personal experience). After that, tighten everything up and your ready to go.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

19. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SaeGai06 @ May 24 2007, 04:07 PM) [snapback]449423[/snapback]</div>
    And, just to be certain, the parts are made from steel (not aluminum)? I am asking to be certain I don't place the order (since it is non-returnable/refundable) and find that the part that arrives is aluminum.

20. SaeGai06

SaeGai06 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ May 24 2007, 08:56 PM) [snapback]449586[/snapback]</div>
    I'm just about 90% certain that these are made from tubular steel. But, just to confirm you might want to shoot Edward an email at Sigma.

Cheers