1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tomtom vs OEM

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by omgitsroy326, Nov 28, 2007.

1. omgitsroy326

omgitsroy326 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Not trying to start a war or anything, but the OEM navigation gets a lot of complaints. I think TOMTOM is not as user friendly as people say it is. Why can't i find starbucks on TOMTOM?

2. jhall

jhall New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I haven't seen too many complaints from people that have the OEM navigation besides that you can't type in addresses while driving. Most of the negative posts I have seen are from people that don't have it, unless I have missed some. :p

I have a fairly high end Magellan for my my wife's car and that I use when I travel for work, but I prefer my Prius Nav. There are a few quirks, but not as many as the Magellan (the biggest being that I don't have to take it and put it in the glove box every time I am not using it and I don't have a cable to power it).

semi off-subject, I have a funny story about the Prius Nav:

The car I replaced is a Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Anti-Prius. My 4 and 6 year old boys enjoyed it because there was alot of room and it had a TV in the back that they could watch movies on. When I first picked up my Prius, we were driving in it and my boys said they didn't like the Prius and they wanted the Expedition back. So I promptly said "yeah, but this car has a robot in it, watch this!" and pushed the Map button, and the Voice command button and said "Ice Cream Parlor". It showed the ColdStone Creamery near our house and I pressed it and it told us how to get there and we went to get Ice Cream. Needless to say, my boys said "OK, you can keep this car". :D

3. theblackbag

theblackbag New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(omgitsroy326 @ Nov 28 2007, 06:26 PM) [snapback]545283[/snapback]</div>
    Because you don't have it in the POI database?

Not to sure what you are trying to say, do you have the OEM and think its better than a Tomtom? In which case you probably picked the worst example of why the OEM is better, when the one thing everyone should agree on is that it is far easier to add/update information on a standalone unit. You just plug it into a computer download an up to date POI database for Starbucks and off you go. You have to rely on what is on the disc on the OEM and cannot add/remove points when things change.

But agreed there are a bunch of reason for going for the OEM over a standalone......

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I like my Garmin StreetPilot. Never had the OEM NAV. One thing I can say about the standalone is that it sits up on the dash, right in my line of sight without blocking any of the windshield, so I don't have to turn my head to look at the map. And yet I have my MFD (nearly always showing the CAN-View) at the same time.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(omgitsroy326 @ Nov 28 2007, 10:26 AM) [snapback]545283[/snapback]</div>
    What blackbag said.

Or go over to www.tomtomforums.com and download the Starbucks POI (among others). A little search goes a long way ;)

6. omgitsroy326

omgitsroy326 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(blackbag @ Nov 28 2007, 02:49 PM) [snapback]545324[/snapback]</div>

you can add places... it's not that hard...

Ok... so i have to go to forum and download a target one.. then a coffee bean one? Can i just download one database?

TOMTOM can't sync with my treo...

I've used both... and i like the OEM a lot better. I don't care about putting an address in when i drive because i just say the address while im' driving and the navigation always gets me where i want. I've done it more than once... the only annoying thing is that i have to say the state. It should be defaulted to be in the state that you're currently in . Many of the POI on the navi can be turned on by saying "I'm Hungry" , etc.

I'm aware a high end TOMTOM navi is able to do the voice commands...

But like jhall said ealier... all the complaints come from people that don't have the OEM navi. I've used both and i feel that the OEM is superior.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <shrug> to each his/her own.

8. theblackbag

theblackbag New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have both too, and I do prefer the OEM.

But I still standby the fact it easier to customise a standalone and keep it up to date, Tomtom may not be able to find you a Starbucks out of the box (for example) but at least you have the option of adding it if you want. And if you use something like poisync then you can make sure the database has all the new Starbucks as they open (and doesn't send you to one thats closed).

The latest Tomtom units also allow you to edit the map to add/remove roads. These updates can then be shared online with other users.

But the OEM has a bigger screeen, can't get stolen (easily), doesn't leave sucker marks on the window that are an open invite to theives, is there when I need it unexpectedly and not in the cupboard at home, has free TMC traffic updates (in Europe :) ) and is generally very nice and easy to use.

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(omgitsroy326 @ Nov 28 2007, 10:26 AM) [snapback]545283[/snapback]</div>
    Perhaps because TomTom uses ineferior (in the US) TeleAtlas maps? The OEM nav unit uses superior (in the US) Navteq maps.

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=3...mp;#entry522579 has my little spiel on why no TeleAtlas for me.

10. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I almost didn't check the Navigation box when I bought my Prius because of what others have said about Toyota/Lexus Navigation. In the end I ended up getting it with a low expectation of it. I mainly got it because after having 2 prior cars with factory navigation I'd feel like I was going backwards if I bought a new car without it. In addition I've had a Delorme product that I've used on long trips on my laptop since about 2001.

With that being said I believe the Prius' navigation is the best navigation I've used. Yeah, there are a few things that could be better but overall the resolution is great, it has most of the features I've seen in other units and it's the quickest I've used to add addresses. Overall I couldn't be more happier. Well, possibly a little happier if I could do everything while the vehicle is in motion. It's a bit more restrictive while moving than the other OEM units I've had.

Mike

11. omgitsroy326

omgitsroy326 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mingoglia @ Nov 29 2007, 10:17 AM) [snapback]545648[/snapback]</div>

i'm glad someone feels the same way... i've used different navi on other cars also.... OEM seems to be close to perfect...

12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    hmmm i use VZ Navigator on my verizon wireless phone, i tried Starbucks and got the 10 nearest locations in about 20 seconds. had no idea that i had 10 within 3½ miles of my home...

its 9.99 a month, not confined to any car like the Prius, and at $200+ for DVD updates, its about the same price without the initial cost of the Tom-Tom or the Nav upgrade...that is unless you got the phone only for the Nav...but now Nav is available on low end phones like the LG 5400 which is only $29.99...

another thing that makes it easy for me is that i have a phone with fully QWERTY keypad which makes it pretty easy to enter in new destinations, i can store destinations ahead of time, (not sure how many i can put in there....i have 22 in there now) then click on recent search, scroll down to what i want and hit enter, makes it easy if multiple destinations are involved.

add to the fact that POI's dont have to be stored on the phone ahead of time because the program accesses a database over the internet thru the verizon cell network so preloading them is not necessary

i also have Route 66 GPS software for my Mac. its ok, but at 2004, its woefully out of date, does not provide audio turn by turn, and its more than a bit awkward when its on a 17" widescreen... love the big map, but kinda bulky and inconvenient if you have a passenger. i used it extensively when alone, pretty much had to get VZ Navigator later

13. hobba

hobba New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think the biggest advantage to having the OEM nav over the aftermarket unit is the fact you don't have to hide or remove the aftermarket unit when you leave the car. Thieves are stealing the aftermarket units left and right. I never had Nav before. I have the Prius nav system in my 05 because I moved to a new state. Its worked great so far outside of the quirks others have mentioned.

When I was at Toyota last week to have service, I asked about a Nav upgrade. I was told the upgrade will come out next year and be about 200 bucks. They said if you have a 2005 or later, you already have the most current version.

14. omgitsroy326

omgitsroy326 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    one thing i like bout the OEM is that you can search for a restaurant through it's phone number.... i didn't use it often, but it worked when i needed it ...

15. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    my search consists of a text message to Google for addy (i have unlimited domestic text package) then plug addy into VZ Nav and off i go.

i did have one time that VZ Nav could not find an addy i was looking for. so all i did was change the street number slightly until i hit an addy it could find... took 3 tries.