1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tonight going out to Dinner. What type of food you having?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by JMD, Mar 23, 2013.

?
  1. Seafood

8.3%
  2. Steakhouse

8.3%
  3. Italian

33.3%
  4. Chinese

8.3%
  5. French

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Thai

8.3%
  7. Mexican

8.3%
  8. Fast food

8.3%
  9. Vegan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. American

16.7%
  1. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ok you drive a Prius but what type of restaurent you going to tonight?

Believe it or not going out to a new place called Naked Pizza.

Wait changed my mind ended up at Gordon Biersch

image.jpg

2. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  3. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    American, catfish to be specific. At a roadhouse called Willo outside of Nevada City, CA in the Sierra Nevada foothills at about 3,000 feet

JMD likes this.
  4. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Fish cool :)

5. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Deleted dupe

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    None Of The Above. Stayed home, made chicken tikka masala. Not sure any real Indians would have liked it, but my American taste buds sure did.

hkmb and JMD like this.
  7. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    How did you find that dish and decide to cook it at home?

image.jpg

8. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As a busy working parent, I'm having one of several lasagnes that I made over the weekend and stuck in the freezer.

But I did have a very nice laksa for lunch, at a food court, on a balcony overlooking the sea.

Chicken Tikka Masala is, along with late 80s and early 90s grebo music, the finest thing ever to have come out of the British Midlands. It's as Indian as chop suey is Chinese, but that doesn't stop it from being lovely.

9. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Laksa now that is exotic for California.

image.jpg

10. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I had a Turkey and Brie Cheese sandwich on a Bagette with lettuce, tomato, grilled onion, cucumber, red peppers, olive oil and vinegar. Yummy
    Photo not actual sandwich
    image.jpg

11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm well aware that much of what gets labeled as ethnic food in the States has been heavily customized or even completely invented somewhere between here and its supposed ethnic homeland. And anything I make has taken another step along the reinvention path. Tastiness, variety, and making use of whatever is already in the house count for more than authenticity.

My cooking has been well short of my household share, in part because the spouse generally found it bland and boring. But after finding a decent source of various Thai (or what usually passes for such around here) curry pastes, I was instantly promoted to household VP of Thai and Indian cuisine. Recently she brought home some jars of nominally Indian sauces, all with various names that we remember enjoying somewhere. This evening's selection of Tikka Masala over Korma curry was almost random. Add in some meat, a variety of veggies from the frig and pantry or (in season) garden, rice, and naan, and I had a meal almost ready when she got home.

Because the selection of veggies on hand is constantly in flux, none of these dishes is an exact repeat of a previous one. Authenticity? About the same as chop suey. But we don't care, it is still (usually) good.

JMD likes this.
  12. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    El Chico Mexican Restaurant

Chip, Hot Sauce and Top Shelf™ Queso
    Wife - Chicken Fajita Chimichanga - Margarita Rocks
    Me - Mama’s Favorite El Caballero - Milk
    Shared Mexican Apple Pie

:D

JMD likes this.
  13. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Saturday: We went to our usual Saturday & Monday family-style place, Lil Chef, for salads and sandwiches after my girlfriend finished her workday.

Sunday: We spend Sunday afternoons visiting my girlfriend's mom in assisted living where we do dishes, laundry, an bring her lemon rice soup and a hand-dipped milkshake from a nearby coney island. We then went to an Italian place near her mom's, Alfoccino, which has great salad & breadsticks and they split an entree for us.

JMD likes this.
  14. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I quite agree. There's a place for authentic food, and there's a place for food that has been messed about with: as long as it's nice.

Chicken Tikka Masala's origins are thought to be in either Glasgow or Birmingham: Glasgow MP Mohammed Sarwar has campaigned for Glasgow to get European Union Protected Origin Status for CTM (like Parma has for Parma Ham, or the Champagne region has for champagne), but he hasn't yet succeeded. It is now Britain's most popular restaurant / take-away dish, having overtaken fish and chips a few years ago.

And it's lovely. I'm sure yours was very good too.

Do they sell Patak's sauces and pastes where you are? They're British, but they're so good that they get exported from Britain to India.

For me, it's whatever meat and veggies are about to go out of date in the supermarket, and are reduced in price. It's pretty much a sport for me. So, much like you, no two of my dishes are ever the same.

15. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Really? I'd have thought laksa was pretty much universal by now. Is it not a common thing there? If not, you're missing out - it is a very fine thing indeed.

My mid-morning snack was kind of exotic for Californians, but not for Australians or British people. It was a meat pie.

[​IMG]

Mmmm.

A couple of years ago, there was an Australian Rules Football exhibition match in LA. One of my friends - a British guy who lives in LA - went along. Apparently it was full of British people with no interest in Aussie Rules at all: the rumour had got round that meat pies would be on sale at the stadium, and it's so hard to get a decent meat pie in America that British and Australian expats came from miles around.

16. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Perhaps one of the few good things about California is the abundence of good Mexican Food.

When I stayed in Austin Texas for a business trip I tried something that looked like Shrimp, shelled it and used Hot Sauce, man that was awsome!

17. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Meat Pies, they have them here in California.
    Usually English Pubs.
    Is the Vegan thing cathing on in your place?
    Quinoa Salad is now sold !
    Supposedly a great source of Plant protein.

18. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Nothing beats good Italian Food. :)

19. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah, that's good news. It would be a terrible thing for British or Australian people to try to survive without them.

I spent a year at university in Tianjin in the early 1990s. No pies; no cheese; no cider. Local food was lovely, but you really do miss the taste of home. China's fine these days - there's even a meat-pie delivery service in Shanghai.

There are loads of vegans here. They're always a challenge at dinner parties.

I just can't get excited about quinoa.

Tofu, though. That's something else entirely. Great as a main course, and great as a dessert. Ma po tofu - as long as it's really spicy - is possibly my all-time favourite food.

[​IMG][​IMG]

And almond-flavoured tofu desserts in Japan. Mmmm.

[​IMG]

JMD likes this.
  20. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    JMD likes this.