1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tonneau cargo cover failed twice

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Kedavis, Aug 12, 2024 at 11:41 PM.

1. Kedavis

Kedavis Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I am still driving my 2019 Prius Prime that I got in July 2019. I leased my 3 previous Priuses, & turned them all in after the 3-year lease ended. I liked the Prime though, & the end-of-lease purchase price was lower than the resale value of the car, so I bought this car in 2022.
    After 4 years, the tonneau cargo cover failed. I use it to prevent people from seeing what's in the hatchback so they're not tempted to break in & steal something, to prevent stuff flying around in a sudden stop or sharp turn, & to keep groceries cooler on the way home from the store.
    It rolls up like a window shade to get the cover out of the way when you're taking stuff out of the back.
    After 4 years of use, the springs in the roller failed. I pulled the cover out all the way, trying to get it to retract, but it just flopped around.
    I read here & elsewhere about taking it apart for repairs, but I couldn't fix it.
    I called my dealer, who said they don't fix them, but instead replace them, for a ridiculously high price. I found one on eBay for $100 & bought it.
    One year later, the spring on that one failed as well, so it again no longer retracts.
    Must be a design flaw. Either that or they don't expect you to keep your car for more than 4 years.

2. KCWhitney

KCWhitney Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've not had any problem with mine after seven years.

Kedavis likes this.