1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Too Many Babies and a Polish Monk

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daniel, Jun 13, 2006.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    TOO MANY BABIES AND A POLISH MONK

Part I: Too many babies.

Everything makes too many babies. That is, more than the available resources can support. If a single bacterial cell had infinite resources and no predators or diseases to kill its offspring, in a month it would have grown to fill the entire visible universe. Any population, given sufficient resourses, will grow exponentially, until the resources are exhausted and the population collapses. Eventually, an equilibruim is generally reached, but breeding individuals still make too many babies and some will die before they can reproduce.

Part II: A Polish Monk

The Polish monk, Gregor Mendel, studied pea plants and demonstrated the existence of an as-yet undiscovered "heritable particle," something that carried traits from parent to offspring in a clearly demonstrable manner. He specifically studied discrete traits, each governed by a single gene, and having only two forms, as for example flower color, which was either white or pink. He did this by crossing plants in various combinations, first studying single traits, and then multiple traits. His work was highly mathematical in an age when scholars of the natural sciences were not generally educated in math. As the result of this, little note was taken of his work at the time.

Part III: A would-be country vicar

Charlie loved nature, but his dad wanted him to be a doctor, so he went to seminary to become a country vicar, for he was a devout Christian. He didn't get a vicarage, but he signed up to be a ship's natural historian. In those days of extreme class snobbery, a ship's captain would have nobody to talk to if he didn't hire a gentleman to come aboard in some capacity or other, and the British navy was interested in learning all it could about the undiscovered lands in the far seas. He studied birds and turtles and whatnot, and came up with the idea that animal populations change because all animals have too many babies (see part I above) and the ones with traits better suited for survival and reproduction would produce more offspring, and so those traits would gradually spread throughout the population. It was a matter of differential reproductive success, obvious today, but a great discovery at the time.

Part IV: They believed his observations, but not his explanation

That animals change was already a popular idea, and Charlie's observations and his many specimens brought back from his travels convinced most scientists. But that the conditions of the environment drove the direction of that change was not widely accepted, because he could offer no physical mechanism for how traits were passed from parent to offspring. Mendel had been forgotten, because he was too mathematical, and, paradoxically, when Mendel was rediscovered in the early 19th century, it didn't help, because Mendel had studied discrete traits, while Charlie had studied traits we now know to be governed by suites of genes, creating traits that range over a range of values, such as differing beak size in otherwise very similar birds.

Eventually, though, the connection between the work of Gregor Mendel, and the work of Charles Darwin was understood.

Part IV: Nobody's Perfek

The mechanism of DNA reproduction in cells is remarkably accurate, with redundant mechanisms to check for errors and repair them, but it's not perfect, and for every billion reproductions, an error creeps in. Environmental chemicals can also damage DNA, and radiation can cause damage. Students have been irradiating fruit flies for ages, causing mutations. Cancer results from genetic mutations. The A-Bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki produced large numbers of mutations, and the rivers of northern Saskatchewan, where tailings from uranium mining have been unceremoniously dumped, have far more than their share of mutant fish. There is no controversy about this. Usually such errors cause the affected gene to become non-functional. But sometimes they cause fatal mutations or diseases. And far less often, but once in a while, the error just happens to be something that makes an organism better able to cope with its environment, and it has a slight reproductive advantage, leading to more successful offspring, and the gene in question multiplies faster than the old version.

Conclusion: It's all pretty simple, really. Even creationists nowadays admit that populations change. They quibble about whether this leads to new species, but the concept of a species is more or less arbitrary, anyway. The easiest definition is if two individuals can mate and produce fertile offspring they are the same species. But there are cases where this kind of definition does not produce clear answers. In the end, animals are living things, and "species" is just our human way of classifying them for our own reasons. Populations change gradually until eventually they are no longer able to mate with other populations from which they separated, but in most cases there is no clear dividing line between "old" and "new." Just the gradual accumulation of almost infinitessimal differences. So when creationists claim that new species do not arise by evolution, they are not even disputing evolution; they are just seeking a more acceptable definition of what a species is. And since scientists still argue over what the definition of a species should be, there really is no problem here: Once creationists admitted (as they had to, if they were not total morons, and none of the creationists on PC are total morons, because, after all, they were smart enough to buy Priuses) that populations do change over time, they admitted evolution. And if they don't like Natural Selection as a mechanism for evolution, that's okay, too, because in fact, natural selection may be responsible for less overall change than random genetic drift. Of course, drift is not adaptive. Only natural selection adapts populations to the conditions of their environment.

I am happy to have been able to clarify this.

Most of the information above was drawn from Biology: The Science of Life, a 36-hour lecture series from The Teaching Company (teach12.com). WARNING: Listening to this lecture series may render some religious myths untenable, as it contains actual information.

2. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

Daniel, I have always had an interest in genetics, but never got the opportunity to study it any more than you do in high school biology.

Thanks for the overview. I've recently gotten a car with a CD player :) and I've been really enjoying audiobooks - I'm going to go to the library when this wave of storm lets up, and see what I can find on biology.

3. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(geologyrox @ Jun 13 2006, 07:11 AM) [snapback]270467[/snapback]</div>
    If you can afford it, I highly recommend the above-mentioned lecture series, available in your choice of video DVD or VHS; audio tapes or CDs, audio download in MP3 or iPod format, or as a written transcript. The audio download costs just under $100 while it remains on sale. On audio CD's it's $130 plus shipping for 36 CDs, but if you get the cheaper audio download I believe you can burn it to MP3 CDs, and I understand that the 2006 Prius will play those. I buy the iPod downloads so I can listen wherever I am.

All their lectures go on sale at least once a year and are generally extremely high-quality, university-level material. A hundred bucks for 36 hours of lectures is a darn good deal, in my opinion. I'm currently listening to this one for the second time, because there was just too much information to absorb it all in one listening.

4. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jun 13 2006, 10:24 AM) [snapback]270471[/snapback]</div>
    I think I'll have to pick it up - I only checked Amazon, and didn't realize it was actually available on audio - but I'm on my way to downloading it now. I want to make sure I'm allowed to burn it, but if not I'll order the set. That's a great price - I collect educational materials (I'm a packrat) because I've got it in my head that someday I'll start teaching.

5. jared2

jared2 New Member

I think it is quite sad that evolution needs defending in this country. What's next? Will we start putting scientists in jail who maintain that the earth revolves around the sun, as the Vatican did to Galileo? Talk about flogging a dead horse. Evolution is an accepted scientific fact everywhere in the world except in primitive theocracies.

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ah genetics. interesting stuff, really. this is a big component of what i spent my undergrad years studying. and while i got a little more in depth than what's covered here (memories of hours straight digging through textbooks and OMIM the night before the big exams come to mind), the overall idea is definitely in there. although, no matter how much fact you show someone, you won't change their minds if they don't want their minds changed.

kudos to those who decide to continue their education based solely on things that interest them.

7. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Jun 13 2006, 08:33 AM) [snapback]270503[/snapback]</div>
    Just wait until I am elected Chief Inquisitor and can put everyone in jail who refuses to eat spaghetti in reverence to the Flying Spaghetti Monster. And with all the precedents Bush et. al. are establishing for wire-tapping and in internet data-mining, my job will be so easy!

8. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jun 13 2006, 02:03 PM) [snapback]270618[/snapback]</div>
    What's interesting is that serveral of the radical right posters here are actually delighted by the reports of internet data mining, saying (to paraphrase) "the NSA has all the dirt they need on lefty anti-war people - just wait" Those threats truly reveal their fundamentally fascist psychology, and I'm not using fascist as a smear, but as the most accurate term.

9. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Before you buy any audio book, check you library. It's amazing what they have and if they don't have what you're looking for, they will check larger librarys in the area to see if it can be transferred for you.

10. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Jun 13 2006, 11:33 AM) [snapback]270503[/snapback]</div>
    I recently re-read "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking that discusses, among other things, the "creation" of the universe. He doesn't have a problem with a concept that a god created the universe - wouldn't such a powerful being be perfectly capable of creating a "system" with scientific principals that humans could explore and discover? Such a "system" would contain concepts like evolution as well as quantum mechanics and relativity.

I DO understand that some religious fundamentalists believe that their ancient teachings/writings/oral histories/etc. are LITERAL statements about concepts like creation; I'm one of those people who are more flexible and allow that some of these 'great teachings' may be metaphorical and not literal. So I agree with Hawkings' thoughts re: god/creation/science.

11. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DonDNH @ Jun 13 2006, 02:23 PM) [snapback]270739[/snapback]</div>
    I agree. Check your library.

However, the Teaching Company lecture series are not audio books. They are university-level lecture series, which they produce themselves, by recording actual lectures delivered by professors they select. The audio versions, which I find more convenient because I can listen on my iPod and I don't have to be sitting in front of a TV or computer, are actually just the audio portion of the videos they tape of the lectures.

Do check your library, as it may very well have some of these. But they are not simply a reader reading a book out loud. They are university professors, delivering their own lectures in front of small live classes. The video versions often include diagrams and other visual aids. They have an extensive catalog of lecture series.

Don't buy the ones that are not on sale, because they will be on sale eventually. All their series go on sale at least once a year. It's their way of keeping production costs down by concentrating on a sub-set of their total catalog at any one time. It allows them to make larger production runs and keep their inventory lower.

12. amazingarthur

amazingarthur New Member

Great info. Thanks for posting it.

Evolution is fascinating.

I'll never forget my college Biology class . It became very interesting when a transfer student from a local "bible college" become vocal. When we got to evolution, he gave a huge speech about evolution being a myth perpetuated by liberal professors trying to disprove god. Then as evidence of creationism, he brought up Dr. Duane Gish (psycho) and the 2nd law of thermodynamics (I may have that wrong). He went on to say Evolution is a "theory" it's never been proven, etc.

Evolution vs. Creationism, who would've thought it would still be going on?

To paraphrase Stephen Colbert (funniest man on earth).......The bible should be taught in our public schools. Why else would god have written it in english?

13. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Amazing Arthur @ Jun 14 2006, 02:10 AM) [snapback]270997[/snapback]</div>
    He's correct - you can't PROVE any 'theory', you can only DISprove a theory. A theorEM in mathematics can be proven or disproven. "God exists" and "There is no god" are two theories.

14. marjflowers

marjflowers New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    In 1977, I found myself as a student in a small Southern Baptist College in KY. So one day, the biology professor comes in sort of shuffling, and he starts this speech about how what is going to be taught that day might be offensive to some, and that bthey would not be tested on the material. So I think...here is comes, he's going to talk about sex. I was blown away when the topic was evolution!

I had been reared in a Southern Baptist church with a youth director who had been a chemistry major in college. This was a time before the moral Majority (remember them?) and the rise of the religious right. The college had been a bastion of intelllectual rigor. My episode in biology class was a harbinger of things to come.

BTW, I left this college after 1 1/2 years -- it was just too Baptist all the way around, and not in a good way either! Actually, I couldn't seem to stay out of trouble -- I was always in the office of the Dean of Women for some thing or another.

Peace --

15. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

Daniel, what will you do if one of the lectures, by implication or overtly, denies the existence of the Flying Spaghetti Monster?

16. Mirza

Mirza New Member

Warning: 'Religiously Incorrect' material (that some may find offensive):

They are all figurative.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeannie @ Jun 13 2006, 07:37 PM) [snapback]270793[/snapback]</div>

17. hawkjm73

hawkjm73 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jun 13 2006, 09:46 AM) [snapback]270452[/snapback]</div>

I would like to argue with this. Admitting population change does not imply admition of evolution. Natural Selection is a good and viable method of change, but the problem is determining whether the selection process was based on a new feature of DNA (I.E. mutation) or was mearly bring forward a feature that was already present in the population's DNA. I would like to see an example where:

1. A definable mutation occured. The parent's DNA did not contain the trait at all, not just such that it was recessive, and the offsprings DNA did.

2. The mutation had a positive effect on the offspring. The offspring thrived without human interferance and the mutation caused an increase in the chance of survival until reproduction can occur.

3. The mutation was inheritable. The offspring's progany had at least a chance of receiving the mutation trait, whether dominant or recessive.

4. The mutation increased the chance of the offspring to reproduce. The mutation cannot prevent the offspring from repoducing with un-mutated examples of the parent's population unless sufficient numbers exist of the same mutation to sustain the new, mutated population.

Otherwise, I argue that population change is only evidence of previously existing traits being brought to the foreground and is not, in and of itself, evidence of evolution.

18. hawkjm73

hawkjm73 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Jun 13 2006, 11:33 AM) [snapback]270503[/snapback]</div>

Evolution, just like any other theory, statment, proof, rule, fact, or belief, can and must be defended rigorously, at any time, to any one. To do otherwise is to stagnate. Popular acceptance of anything is just that, popularity. The next person to question anything we hold to be true might just be right.

19. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hawkjm73 @ Jun 18 2006, 02:48 PM) [snapback]273129[/snapback]</div>
    often a mutation is as little as a one-base-pair change. a single amino acid mutation in the right place is enough to change the conformation or stability of a protein. depending on the role of the protein and the location of the amino acid, this could be a major difference.

ok, this is a rather controversial example but has been ruled as beneficial overall so i'll use it.

malaria is very common in africa. also common in African populations is the sickle-cell trait. and while in the absence of malaria this is an overall deleterious trait, in the presence of malaria it is advantageous. sickle cell prevents infection with falciparum malaria. those with sickle cell and no malaria live longer than those with no sickle cell and malaria. therefore the sickle cell population has a greater chance of reproducing than the non-sickle cell population.

anything based in DNA is heritable if the mutation can be found in germline cells.

this can in some cases be caused by an environmental mutation during adulthood but often is caused by some mutation during embryonic development (whether natural or due to the in utero environment.

if it performs the same function in the second generation as it does in the first (which, why wouldn't it? it's not like these things have personalities, they're fixed function things), then this is not an issue. and the original mutant has to mate with a non-mutant to create the offspring, no?

this is all in the properties of heredity.

genetic mutations can't be "brought to the foreground" in that kind of sense. you have two copies of each gene, and you get what you get. nothing's really "hiding" unless you're talking about a recessive masked trait, and to be honest most of those are deleterious mutations.

dominant mutations are ones that are expressed even if only one copy of the mutant gene is present. recessive traits require both copies of the gene to be mutant to be expressed. deleterious dominant mutations can affect organisms' ability to reproduce more frequently than deleterious recessive mutations, simply because it only takes one bad copy of the gene to cause the negative effect. therefore, deleterious dominant mutations rarely make it in the gene pool.

what's left are the deleterious recessive mutations- this requires 2 copies of the bad gene to cause a negative effect. as long as you have one good copy, you're okay. to get 2 bad copies, you have to have two heterozygous parents (each one with one good copy and one bad copy) and the chance of passing both bad copies of the gene on is 1/4. there are many healthy heterozygotes out there though, who have one good copy and one bad copy.and the one good copy of the gene is sufficient. these deleterious recessive mutations are the ones that are "hiding" in the genome.

sure there are recesssive advantageous mutations- and if 2 copies of that gene is involved in reproductive success, it is passed on more frequently than the other genes. therefore the gene because more prevalent than the dominant gene for the same reasons that dominant deleterious genes are phased out of the population. this happens solely as a factor of reproductive success and is nothing that's already in the genome just waiting around to show up. to sum all this up, if it's in the DNA it'll show up. it won't show up until it is in the DNA, and the only way it'll get into the DNA as a new version of a gene is by mutation.

hope that clears things up a bit.