1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Too much hate and anger

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mirza, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Mirza

Mirza New Member

I think there is way too anger on FHOP... I don't think it needs any explaining. You could be a very reasonable and decent person on either side of the political tilt and be drawn into the left vs right bashing... it is very easy to get caught up into. Personally, I would prefer civil discussion on topics (and I'm sure there are at least a few out there who do as well)... not what goes on in here. Of course, you are entitled to your own opinion. I hope to continue some discussions via PM, and then once those are complete get away from FHOP... as it can get too stressful dealing with some of the stuff that is said. There is a difference between being "Politically Incorrect" and intentionally being offensive, but alas it is not in my position to tell people to think this way.

Thanks to all those who have done their best to avoid the mudslinging and speak with calm despite what is said against you.

2. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mirza @ Jun 6 2006, 11:18 PM) [snapback]267052[/snapback]</div>
    I actually, of all people ( :D ), agree with you on this, and have thought the same thing over the last few days. Even the mods seem to be avoiding FHOP... I was thinking about it though, and maybe there should be a sub-section entitled: "Politics and Religion", a place where everyone KNOWS things will get hot...

3. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mirza @ Jun 6 2006, 10:18 PM) [snapback]267052[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you Mirza!

I am in complete agreement, I don't know if it's the impersonal nature of an online chat board, or what. But I'd hate to think that the the vile and hatred I sometimes see spewed on FHOP would happen if these same people were talking face to face. I know however that nothing is accomplished by a non stop hate-a-thon, but much could be accomplished in the way of understanding if people could explain their political/religous differences in a calm and rational manner.

4. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jun 6 2006, 08:21 PM) [snapback]267055[/snapback]</div>
    On a huge board that I help administrate, this is exactly what we had to do. In fact, we opened up a new URL just for "underground" discussions - anything that wouldn't fly on our main board was moved to the underground. Currently, on our main board, we ban political and religions discussions. We're serious about it. And it works REALLY well. Took a bit of work at first to train the membership, but now we're cruising along without issue. A big sticky at the top of our "Cafe" is what made it all work.

Political and Religious discussions can't help but end in a train wreck. Nature of the beast, I'm afraid. While I know this is intended to be a "community," I truly feel that the kind of crap we see on these two subjects is working against that goal in a BIG way. I know it sure serves to turn me away.

I want to talk about the Prius and alternative automobiles in general. I also really LIKE off-topic discussions with informed individuals. Ugly mud-slinging BS is NOT what I enjoy, however. Yes, I can avoid them, but like a big greasy spot in my garage, I'd rather clean it up and not have to step around it every day.

If anybody can show me a single benefit to all the threads that either start or end up as, "your party/religion sucks, and my way of thinking is better" - I'd sure like to hear it.

5. eyeguy13

eyeguy13 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I too have been avoiding FHOP lately and not posting much on it. I will read some of the threads, shake my head, and just move on. I wonder if most people do this when they join PriusChat. They'll post alot in FHOP in the beginning, then get burnt out, and eventually move on. I'm reading Jon Meacham's "American Gospel" and there is something I want to quote. I've been saving it for the right time, at it is now:

"...the point is that we are all on the same odyssey, if for different reasons. In either case, the story is about moving forward, through the darkness, searching for light. Or at least it should be. Extremes make the journey more perilous."

I have learned alot about conservatives and liberals on this forum in the two months I've been a member. It's been quite an eye opener. Conservatives see things black and white and liberals see things in grey. Our government needs both. Too much of one is dangerous.

I'll still peruse FHOP and post. But maybe we can be more civil like the British Parliament when they badger Tony Blair every week. :)

6. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jun 6 2006, 11:21 PM) [snapback]267055[/snapback]</div>
    There is a place where all but the newest member should KNOW things get hot: FHOP. I'm a relative rookie, but I learned that real quickly.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eyeguy13 @ Jun 7 2006, 12:12 AM) [snapback]267084[/snapback]</div>
    I've already moved on after posting in only one FHOP thread. (And ya'll tricked me into that! Got caught by the *you* tag. Great fun, good for a laugh.) But now I shake my head and move on without even touching most of them. I want to read and occasionally talk about my car, period.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Jun 6 2006, 11:58 PM) [snapback]267078[/snapback]</div>
    Amen! (Not said in a religious context, BTW!) If you disagree with me on a political or religious issue, no amount of convincing by me is sufficient. If we agree, none is needed.

Most of you are a great source of info, but frankly, having to take time to sift through the fluff in View All New Posts is a bit frustrating and time-consuming on my dialup connection. (Don't tell me to get broadband. For a variety of reasons, it's not practical and cost-effective for me now.)

Jim

7. Schmika

Schmika New Member

It isn't FHOP..it is society in general. It is the "Argument CUlture" we have. Mirza, and all who supported her post, please take the time to occasionally look at your own reactions to news you hear. Do you "hate" Bush? DO you hate "liberals" or "conservatives"?

Do you hate "fundementalists"?

Persoanlly, my epiphany came when I was "saved" or "born again" into Christianity last year. I can disagree passionaltely, but my emotional HATE has been subdued tremendously. (It will never go away because I still possess this earthly body)

8. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mirza @ Jun 6 2006, 11:18 PM) [snapback]267052[/snapback]</div>
    I totally agree with you. And sometimes I think about totally avoiding FHOP (although it's hard to avoid the hate and anger in the environmental forum lately), but there are people here that I enjoy having dialog with. And I would like to be able to have discourse with people with conservative viewpoints, with the purpose of having a meaningful exchange of ideas and insight into that person's point of view. However, that quickly ends when I'm told that I should be "ground up into a milky paste."
    I try to keep my discussions confined to ideas and issues. I do get riled up my comments such as "liberals are traitors", "liberals won't defend their country", not to mention all the science-bashing that goes on around here. Nevertheless, I try as hard as I can to keep my response on an even keel. I was even considering the possibility of starting an area away from FHOP that would be more moderated, so that anyone who engaged in personal attacks or insults would be banned.
    I would suggest a few general rules that everyone should follow: avoid generalizations; debate the idea, don't attack the person, and, unless the subject of the thread is WWII History, don't ever bring up Nazis or Hitler.

9. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Jun 7 2006, 12:49 PM) [snapback]267300[/snapback]</div>
    tell me about it <_< that's what got me into a bunch of nasty FHOP threads a while back.