1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Took delivery today, wee! And now for the questions...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Balt, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Balt

Balt Junior Member

Hi all,

I got my 2007 black and sexy greenie car (note: Australia edition)! While I'm quite excited about it, I have a few problems with it too.

1. Voice commands don't seem to work for anything but the bluetooth phone. I was expecting to be able to control the A/C as well as navigation by voice. Naturally, I find that a bit disappointing, given I bought the top of the line model. Does anyone know whether those functions can be activated somehow?

2. The reverse beep can't be deactivated with the 2006 method. Anyone know how that works on the 2007 aussie prius? I was halfway inclined to keep it activated, thinking it might be smart to let people outside know I'm reversing. Turns out the beep can only be heard on the inside! What a ludicrously silly "feature"!?

3. The display colour scheme can only be changed between orange and green (yuck, and yuck). Attila Vass had a method for the 2004+ Prii via the hidden maintenance menu to change the colour schemes between many different ones. Unfortunately, that particular function doesn't work in mine, although the maintenance menu via info button and lights on and off three times works fine, and actually displays even more information than in the older cars. Does anyone know how that can be done?

Apart from that I'm quite happy. It's got the new car smell, only had 10km on it and is quite elegant in black, with tinted windows and medium gray inside with leather...

Cheers

- Balt

2. Prius The First

Prius The First New Member

Let me be the first to Congrat you on your purchase!

I was in Sydney about 20 years ago. Just love that place. Stayed in a Youth Hostle in Kings Cross area - Wow!

I cannot help you with any of your questions, and would be curious about the answer to #3.

3. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Congrats on the new car!

Some non-answers to some of your questions:

1. If you're sure you're using the right voice commands (check the manual) and they don't work, then take it back to your dealer and tell them to fix it!

2. In my '06 I had to give it a couple tries to get the sequence for disabling the reverse beep correct. Try it again! Then again, wait for someone with an '07 to chime in because they'll know better.

3. :(

4. Enjoy the new ride!

4. Balt

Balt Junior Member

Thanks for your welcomes!

There's no mention of voice commands in any parts of the manual, leading me to believe they don't offer them in the ozi edition. Given everything else is there however it might be just a bit fiddle to enable it?

I tried the sequence a number of times, no luck (yet).

Cheers

- Balt

5. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) Hi Balt...

[1] Voice Commands. True, there's no 'list' in the Owner's Manual or Navigation Manual. Here are a couple of attached files [one Microsoft Word, and one Microsoft Excel] list of commands which may be of help for you. I find a normal volume and tone works best for me and likely get around 50% to 60% compliance with my verbal commands... not what I'd call marvelous.

[2] In my 2007, I *WAS* able to disable the reverse 'beep' using the same sequence I used for my 2004 Prius. It did require, as I recall, three attempts to get it to work. Keep trying.

[3] I'm in agreement on the display color [colour... ;) ] selections. I really did like the blue scheme in my 2004. I can only suppose the higher-resolution of the newer display combined with the memory available in the system imposed colour limits.

With your petrol prices, I'm sure you will enjoy the economy of your Prius.... ENJOY.

[attachmentid=6714]

[attachmentid=6715]

Attached Files:

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi and congrats on your purchase!!

1) voice command should work for the climate control and navigation. Take a look at Charles' list or if you want it in pdf, check out john1701a.com and click on his user guide for HSD.

2) Unfortunately, you cannot disable the reverse beep on models outside of NA

3) The 04-05 models had 4 colours to choose from. The 06+ only has two (as you've discovered). Keep in mind that you have the higher resolution screen.

7. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Balt @ Feb 27 2007, 05:25 AM) [snapback]397141[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Balt

I will limit myself to the voice commands question. I find these commands are not a substitute for understanding the operation of the navigation system, but when you do understand it, they make it easier to use. For learning your navigation system, this Lexus tutorial works fine. It is the same system which is in your car.

http://www.lexus.com/lexus-share/demos/RX/.../Lexus_nav.html

For example, I searched and searched to find a way to delete destinations which I had entered without success using the Manuel. I was able to use a voice command but only got a reply which said "this command is not available in this screen". Then after playing with the NAV, I discovered that if I press "MENU" (to the right of the MFD) and then "My Places" (on the MFD) I get a screen which allows me to delete either Memory Points or Previous Points (Previous Points do not include the Home you have set). The destinations went away when I deteted the Previous Points.

I mention this because the NAV system is not intuitive. You need to learn it. Then the voice commands will work for you.

By the way, have you figured out how to use the voice command button on the steering wheel? In case you haven't yet, put the car in Ready, press the Map button, then press the voice command button on the steering wheel (see the owner's manual if you don't know where that is), you will be asked for a command. For starters, say "Help". You will be given a screen of voice commands through which you can scroll. They should be the same commands which were on the list which was referenced above. If they are not, the ones you see on the screen are the ones which will work.

All the best of luck to you!

Edit: If you want to play with the NAV without running down the traction battery press the start button twice WITHOUT the brake pedal. You won't be in "Ready" but the NAV will be available. This will affect the 12 volt battery which will be recharged the next time you drive the car. A few minutes should be no problem. Several hours might stress the little battery. There are a lot of other things which come on when the car is in Ready which affect the traction battery.

8. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  9. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Feb 27 2007, 04:08 PM) [snapback]397523[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Charles

The Lexus NAV site is up to date but I think the Toyota site is better (now that I know of it) because it has pictures of the Prius dash which is not the same as the Lexus. If the NAV systems are not identical, they are VERY similar.

Either of the tutorials is easier to learn from than the Manual. From now on I am using the one from Toyota.