1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Took first long trip. My @ss was killing me!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by lil_red_Prius, Jul 2, 2008.

1. lil_red_Prius

lil_red_Prius Rollin' with my toy...

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I even have the nice leather seats, but after a few hours behind the wheel, my @ss was killing me. I had to stop every 1.5 hours just to walk around and stretch. @ss still hurt the next day. OUCH!!

Anyone suggest a really REALLY good seat insert? Maybe a gel one or something???

I'm not the heaviest guy in the world, but I do have some meat back there....I just never felt so sore after a drive as I did after the 600 miles to SC.

2. Buckland

Buckland New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    We're half way through a 1200 mile trip and have had no problems.

Buck

3. lil_red_Prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    what can I say? I'm not a newbie to long trips. I went by myself from Philly to Tampa (1250 miles more or less) in my BMW and no problems. Got the Prius in January. took a 600 mile trip and I was hurtin'. Seats I guess ain't soft enough for my scrawny butt, leather or no leather.

I need an insert. but nothing too puffy. My head damn near hits the roof as it is!

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Howdy,
    I'm from Clearwater! Look in the "relax the back" store locally. They have nice cushions.

5. lil_red_Prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hiya Neighbor! I live in Hillsborough County. I will check them out.

aha...there is one on Dale Mabry and one on 19, kind of my way home. I'll definitely check them out. thanks

6. Fraser

Fraser New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My wife and I both have problems with driving long stretches. Couple of intermediate suggestions, if you haven't considered them. Let your seat back recline a notch or two, combined with, possibly, moving your seat closer to the wheel. Adjust the position every 30-45 minutes, or whenever you start to feel uncomfortable. Tense your back, arm and leg muscles occasionally and then relax completely. You may still have some pain, but I would think it would not be as severe.

7. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep worse seats I've ever had to sit on. Check out this member's solution.

http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-modifications/45487-operation-volvo-seats-prius.html

Wildkow

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We have made some nine hour trips without any pain or suffering. Seat comfort is a highly personal thing, especially with the N.A. Prius, which has limited adjustments on the seats. If you are the right size and shape, the Prius seats are okay - not great, but not bad either. For the record, we have the cloth seats.

Tom

9. LOVL1TE

LOVL1TE New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My first 2.5 hour trip in my 2008 Package 2 was very painful, and that's coming from a '99 accord with not-so-nice cloth seats to begin with. The good news is that my rear appears to be adjusting to them and that same pain is now rare and fleeting. But I don't know what would happen if I had to drive 3-4 (or more) hours straight...Relax the Back sounds like a good idea...

10. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You do mean that your butt hurt, and not your lower back? Do you keep your wallet in a back pocket?

11. HardCase

HardCase SilverPineMica, the green one

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I agree about the wallet part.....ALWAYS make sure your back pockets are empty on a long trip, and wear loose pants. I've even worn sweats on real long hauls (did 1300 miles in 20 hours in mine not long ago) Move the seat and steering-wheel angle every hour or so just a bit, plus not a bad idea to stop, get out, and walk around for a few minutes at least every 100 miles. These things will help, but it's possible that you might just be one of those people with whom the Prius seats simply don't agree.

12. lil_red_Prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    wallet not kept in pockets. definitely my nice person. I was in serious pain after a couple hundred miles. I looked like I needed a walker after I got out.

13. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I just got back from a 1,700 mile trip. My arse had no issues. I guess auto seats are a pretty personal thing so your mileage may vary.

... Brad

14. FrankZ

FrankZ New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hmmm, to each his own I guess, but I took my first road trip about 2 weeks ago to Florida. Atlanta to Miami -two day stop -then to Ft. Myers, another 2 days and then back to ATL. Approx 1200 miles. I felt no fatigue at all, not in my back a$$ or legs. I make that trip a couple of times a year and this is the first time I can remember being so comfortable. My only problem is that I can no longer coordinate my gas stops with my personal pit stops, if you get my meaning. No way can I hold it that long!

BTW, I averaged right at 50 mpg and spent about $98 in gas. The last time I did the trip was in my Tacoma and I spent just over $200 and that was in Dec. before all this $4 gas foolishness.

15. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Stopping and walking around every few hours is a good idea for anyone, back/butt pain or no, because it helps prevent deep-vein thrombosis and muscle cramps.

16. rwhoyle

rwhoyle Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My wife and I just returned from a vacation trip to Seaside Florida (2100 miles roundtrip). We drove to Florida from Tulsa in one day, stayed a week, and returned to Tulsa in one day. Bottom was sore, but, with the length of the trip, any seat would begin to be uncomfortable. I agree wholeheartedly with the "remove the billfold" recommendation. It will soon make your butt cheek very uncomfortable.

Gas mileage avg with A/C on, 70 - 75, going south (headwind) was 42.6. Gas mileage avg with A/C on, 70 - 75, going north (tailwind) was 46.3.

17. lil_red_Prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    lol. Ok, for those of you that have had NO nice person-related problems - congrats!

I HAVE!!

so I need someone out there who has a seat insert suggestion (beyond completely replacing the seat with a Volvo seat - I'm quite sure I don't want to take THAT on. I had stress enough wiring my Sirius Radio antenna!)

oh and I averaged around 46 mpg for the 1200 miles roundtrip

18. YoDaddyAlex

YoDaddyAlex Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    maybe the leather seats are harder and take a little while to mold to you... i have cloth (hate leather for many reasons) and have no problems being comfortable. just mess around with the seat in different positions. thats my suggestion

19. Schunken

Schunken New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    dont take the following too personal, I just look at a different angel on your problem....

You do a office job? Do you make regulary sport?

Your lower spine is only as good as the muscles that support it! 80% of butt/lower spine problems have the cause in a "dead muscles" that support your spine....

...a office job with no sports kill your spine muscles....

Andreas

20. Lexus_Prius

Lexus_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    in my experience volvo tends to have the best seats along with a few other euro makers..the new lexi also have nice seats in some configurations