1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Took in water in the 2010 Prius after not treating the seals for 11 years.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by GoliathMV, Jul 19, 2021.

1. GoliathMV

GoliathMV Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey 2010 Prius owners I have experienced an issue with taking in water in the back area next to the battery and also water in the spare tire in the back. I am pissed but have a convertible Mustang that has been experiencing the same issue so I have decided to treat the rubber seals on the ole Prius to keep the water out she has 67000 miles on the OD and has been a true warrior and deserves to be in the fleet forever. This car is truth be told my real car as I also own a 2015 Ford Mustang 6 Speed convertible and she is a pleasure to own as well but nothing like the Prius in terms of affordability but again the Mustang is an experience that deserves a bit of money to be thrown into the 4 cylinder turbo engine every once in a while for good measure. In addition I also own a 2010 ER6N Kawasaki motorcycle and even that mobile is expensive in comparison to my 2010 Prius. I have been experimenting with less aggressive riding styles to see if I can improve my MPG. The Motorcycle is also an experience that deserves to have some money thrown in a full tank on that girl is $9.95 That's compared to my Prius which is closer to $28.00.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Have you verified the rubber seals are where the water is getting in?

There's a known place where the roof-to-quarter body panel joints develop hairline cracks.

Look for the two roof 'gutter' channels that start above the hatch and run forward. They have trim strips inserted to conceal the panel joints.You can just pop the trim strips out starting from their aft ends.

You might first have to wash a bunch of decayed leaf matter and such out from under them. Then you may be able to spot tiny cracks, and cover them with thin silicone sealant.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are you sure someone didn't spill water?

GoliathMV likes this.
  4. GoliathMV

GoliathMV Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I wish I could say that was what happened unfortunately she has been parked outside for over a decade.

bisco likes this.
  5. GoliathMV

GoliathMV Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's exactly where my leaks leads too the back hatch and the battery and spare tire always seems to pay the price from the rain.

6. GoliathMV

GoliathMV Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So after using Vaseline I have not noticed any additional moisture coming into the car. I will continue treating my rubber seals and let you know how the inside of the cabin has improved. The inside of the car definitely feels more like it did day 1. The inside of the car no longer has a damp smell. I recently took the 11 year old battery out and charged it up using a battery charger which I use for my Motorcycle during the off season. The battery is like new all my cabin lights are brighter and I think my original Lead Acid Battery is back kicking butt. I wonder if it will give me another 11 years?

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Man, I'd never pulled those off, good tip.

8. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    love how the original post talked 95% about other vehicles and motorcycle while the other 5% trashing his Prius in a Prius forum.

GoliathMV likes this.
  9. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    .....how long since the wreck?

My company has a small number of fleet of G3s, and I wasn't aware that you had to 'treat' the seals a certain way to avoid leakage, particularly in the hatch.
    All of ours are mostly 2010's

We have torrential rains on the 'other' coast and enough sunshine to make an oncologist despair....all in all, a 'perfect storm' for water leakage.
    MY experience is that if you haven't been to the body shop or performed another type of 'own goal' (i.e. closing the hatch on something that deforms the silicone seals, installing something requiring a drill, rust, etc...) then your Prius should be good to go all the way down to test depth.

I've seen G2 owners post water intrusion stories....but I'm not aware that those are widespread either absenting collision, aftermarket accessories, or owner abuse - BUT - I could very well be wrong about that subtype.....

#9 ETC(SS), Jul 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    GoliathMV likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Clean out and applying wax to the troughs seems prudent.

Ah, those phrases:

#10 Mendel Leisk, Jul 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  11. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe when Goofy turns 15.....

GoliathMV likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hmm, i haven't greased my seals in 9 years, sounds like trouble on the way (n)

GoliathMV likes this.
  13. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    sounds like a trade in for you soon. Oh wait, I was poo poo’d for the thought of trading a car in with issues, said the pc moral police here :(

GoliathMV likes this.
  14. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    SHAME!
    SHAME!
    SHAME!

GoliathMV and Grit like this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hmm... trade in without telling them the seals haven't been greased
    is that a sin so great, ot least?
    the only solution is confer with my priest

GoliathMV and Grit like this.
  16. Stangar

Stangar Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Interesting post. I've never heard of these seals or how to lubricate them. I'll do more research. Also, I've never heard of anyone who rides a motorcycle showing any concern about fuel mileage (on a motorcycle). Wouldn't that be like a Prius driver being concerned about his 0-60 mph times or top speed?

GoliathMV likes this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    oh, we jave them, believe me :rolleyes:

18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    He distinctly said "we jave". And as we all know, to jave ...

19. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    paging all @redbulletusers.

20. GoliathMV

GoliathMV Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well that was quite a bit of catching up and reading thank you all for some fun commentary and feedback,concerns, and fun. We must always make room for fun am I right. So the Motorcycle piece is actually a tail of a man looking for the cheap commute when I was riding my Kawasaki 250R which was getting me somewhere in the 70+ Miles per gallon and a 2000 5 Speed Ford Mustang that had finally died after 3 prior owners then me with the crappy of mileage a V6 145000 miler could provide. So to drill down the motorcycle obsession and Prius thing which is strange but true came from adulting and trying to be as cheap as possible while still having the comforts that a car in NYC provide like a shelter, Mobility, and the ole reliable to have in the background of my other fleet of vehicles. I am an enthusiast of all that which is transport. Back to the seals on the Prius being that this car sits in probably the most active parts of NYC for 11 years and is rain washed and wiped down instead of car washed has survived has become a testament to the ownership and affordability that even Toyota Motor company has put into the paint job straight from the factory. Owning this car has become one of the single most joys of purchasing my first New Japanese Hybrid. So back to the seals if you dont lube them they dry eventually and will either crack which is the worst thing that could happen. Or they start to leak first which is the first sign that you need to lubricate them suckers with Vaseline or GummyFLETCH I believe is the pronunciation for the Germany product that you can rub specifically for convertible tops which often have this problem occur only several years after ownership which was the case with my Mustang 2015 which also played a part in this long winded story of ownership and motorhead chat. Well thank you all enjoy your Priuses and refrain from selling them to the man or trading them in to Tesla just not worth the waste of such an absolute gem for the Family to drive forever. I will not edit this damn thing good night.

bisco likes this.