1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Took my first Test drive

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Hostage46, May 26, 2006.

1. Hostage46

Hostage46 New Member

After a week or so of research I ran over the the local Toyota dealer for look. As expected they only had one car on the lot, an '05 package 3 marked "fleet car not for sale" with 24K miles. My initial impressions:

It truly is a mid-size car, my 6'3" buddly who came along sat in the back was comfortable. Overall It felt comparable to my old Accord, the hatchback and space underneath was excellent.

Storage in the dash was a suprise, I didn't expect it.

Seats were fine for me, again my point of reference is the old Accord, fore, aft and tilt is all I have now, and frankly all need.

Ergonomics, pleasantly suprised the pictures I saw didn't do justice to the way the speedo and other guages are presented. It has a HUD feel where you can see what's needed in your field of view.

MFD was fun to noodle with, I drove it for maybe 10 min around the dealership on city streets and was able to go on the battery alone once the battery was up a bit. I can see how a hood would be a good thing.

I liked the switches in the wheel, much more content then you normally see, from a safety perspectice you really don't need to take your eyes off the road or hands off the wheel.

This car was equipped with the JBL stereo, I'm no audiophile but it sounded very nice.

The drive was nimble, nice and tight, acceleration was acceptable, not like the TL I've been considering, but high performance is defined by more then speed and time to 60 :) My fears that I'll be crushed by the texas state car, the Yukon Denali, were unfounded.

I would have liked to see the nav/BT in action, I'm working with another local dealer who says he'll have one in to drive next week. I'd also like to see the leather.

Odly, this car had a foot activated emergency brake as well as the button. Is that something the dealer added or is it standard?

The salesman was pretty clueless, in his defense, someone grabbed him and said "take these guys for a spin", I suspect if I was selling Toyotas, I'd focus on other cars as these ones seem to sell themselves.

Anyway, I'm excited and will being the process to pull the trigger.

Dan

2. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

Not sure what button you refer to, but no, that's the stock emergency brake. Push it down once to engage, push again to disengage. Putting it there freed up valuable space between the front seats for the console/plugs.

If you test-drive one again, check out the "mid-range" acceleration (say, 30-70 MPH) by merging with freeway traffic or passing another car. You can also sense its torque by putting your foot into it going up a steep hill. Surprising, since it's not so swift off the line.

3. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    "Oddly, this car had a foot activated emergency brake as well as the button. Is that something the dealer added or is it standard?"

The "P" button is the park button. Standard on ALL Prii, here and abroad. Press that after coming to a stop and that disengages drive, putting you in park "gear". Then power off with the "power" button. Hasn't anything to do with the foot e-brake.

Or skip the "P" button and when you're done driving, just press the "power" button and it engages park gear and powers off in one fell swoop!

I agree on the e-brake placement, love having that center console and not a handbrake there.

Two years plus and 42,000 miles plus later, I still think this car rocks. :D

4. Hostage46

Hostage46 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ghostofjk @ May 26 2006, 04:21 PM) [snapback]261481[/snapback]</div>
    It was tame off the line, I'll have go on the highway... good suggestion.

So it's a standard mechanical ebrake, the button is more like "P" or park?

5. Manksgloob

Manksgloob Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hostage46 @ May 26 2006, 04:37 PM) [snapback]261489[/snapback]</div>
    That is correct.

6. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    One thing I was able to do was to rent one for two weeks. It gave me a chance to drive without a salesperson breathing down my neck. In addtion I was able to see how it would be during a normal commute, plus a trip into the mountains with my parents.

And on the subject of brakes, the "B" position on the shift lever is like a "jake brake" in that it's useful for going down a long hill (like shifting into a lower gear).

7. kdmorse

kdmorse Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    And if you do take it on the highway - don't be shy about putting the pedal all the way to the floor. Some folks take their test drives very gingerly, and then complain about poor acceleration. Want to see it move - stomp on the gas.

-Ken

8. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Every time I press on the foot parking brake, I feel like I'm driving an American rental car, any brand. The foot E-brake doesn't belong in a "world" car like the Prius. Does anybody remember floor mounted headlight high beam switches? Shhh...don't tell Toyota. The E-brake should be between the seats, as God intended. I turned 57 today, and this is the first car I have ever owned with a foot operated parking brake, though I've driven lots of rental cars.

I'm a stick shift guy, but actually like the P-button for park, but I don't know how many times I've grabbed the wiper stalk to shift gears. At least my windshield is pretty clean. :unsure:

9. Jack Straw

Jack Straw New Member

10. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(subarutoo @ May 27 2006, 12:47 AM) [snapback]261672[/snapback]</div>
    This is my 5th vehicle, 3rd new one.... Every time the parking brake has been right there in that spot, so to me it doesn't seem so strange. I guess if you're used to it in the center console, that's fine... I'm just not sure why anyone would have any trouble adjusting to the new position of the thing no matter where they put it. I never use the parking brake unless I'm doing some major mechanical thing on the vehicle, so I guess for me the parking brake could be a lever under the hood somewhere.

79 F150
    89 F150
    96 Explorer
    99 F250
    06 Pruis

Who want's to play duck-duck-goose with my list concerning fuel mpg? :p

11. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hostage46 @ May 26 2006, 05:37 PM) [snapback]261489[/snapback]</div>
    While the Prius is not a muscle car, its acceleration off the line is better than it seems. The combination of traction control plus CVT makes for no squealing tires, flying dirt, or neck whipping shifts. There just isn't enough fuss and bother to seem fast.

Tom

12. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(subarutoo @ May 27 2006, 01:47 AM) [snapback]261672[/snapback]</div>
    I like the foot parking brake. It is more efficient that way. I can get out of the car quicker. While the right hand is busy with unbuckling seatbelt and pressing the power button to turn off, both of the legs are in use. Basically, I can get out of the car in 2 seconds after the car stop. I find myself getting out of the car before the passengers, many times.

You can not do this in other cars where you have to put it in Park gear, pull the hand brake, then turn off the ignition and pull the key out. Oh and hold the key and unbuckle the seatbelt to get out.

BTW, I just thought of a better way. If I use my left hand to unbuckly the seat belt and my right to press the Power button, it will be faster. Right foot on the brake and left foot on Parking brake. This is awesome, I am going to have to train my left hand. =D

Dennis

13. engunneer

engunneer Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(usbseawolf2000 @ May 27 2006, 09:45 AM) [snapback]261788[/snapback]</div>
    I do the same thing in reverse. I jump into the car, and my left foot automaticaaly lands on the parking brake (I live on a hill, so I use it by habit), but i don't lift it until my right is on the brake, and my right hand has hit the power button. I use the next 3 seconds putting on the belt, since the car won't let me go to drive right away. (not 'ready' yet).

I also get out pretty quickly, and I've found you can hit the SKS lock button while the door is still closing and it will lock a second later.

I love SKS.

14. benighted

benighted New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(engunneer @ May 27 2006, 12:15 PM) [snapback]261819[/snapback]</div>
    Have you noticed that when showing off SKS to someone it usually takes a few tries before it locks but when no one is around it works flawlessly?

15. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Manksgloob-
    where'd you get bright orange? I wish there were "fun" colors offered for our babies! People already say they are ugly, might as well have a fun "ugly" car hehe... I think the Prius is very easy on the eyes myself, like the James Blunt song "She's beautiful...". My co-worker's tease me because I changed the lyrics to that song to "I saw your grille, in a parking space" instead of "I saw your face, in a crowded place" haha I am sick! :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Manksgloob @ May 26 2006, 07:32 PM) [snapback]261507[/snapback]</div>

16. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hostage46 @ May 26 2006, 02:05 PM) [snapback]261470[/snapback]</div>
    You must be a fellow Pastafarian! Arrgghhh! Ahoy and welcome!

I almost never use the emergency brake. But I do remember the dimmer switch on the floor on my 1973 Jeep CJ-5. I drove that car for 13 years and never got the hang of dimming the headlights quickly. The advantage of the emergency brake on a lever between the seats is that you can actually use it in an emergency. The foot brake is not an emergency brake at all because if you used it in an emergency you'd go completely out of control. It's really just a parking brake. I don't like it.

17. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ May 27 2006, 06:47 PM) [snapback]261905[/snapback]</div>
    Well that is a matter of learning. Now if we legislate how "emergency breaks" are engaged, we could all react the same way. That being aside, if you have a manual in a city like Seattle, San Francisco etc the hand brake is a boon. One hand steering wheel. One hand the break. One foot the clutch. One foot the gas.

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(benighted @ May 27 2006, 12:38 PM) [snapback]261824[/snapback]</div>
    Mine's the opposite. It's the unlock. Except that, I'm not the one unlocking. I usually let them do the unlocking but sometimes, they have their thumb on the black button or if I'm not close enough, it takes a while before the car sends out another request, then recognise the fob, then finally unlock the car, all this while my friend keeps pulling the door handle lol.

19. Denny_A

Denny_A New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ May 27 2006, 10:47 PM) [snapback]261905[/snapback]</div>
    Here in the "frozen tundra", near Lammmmmmbeu Field, the e-brake lever in the center console is indespensible for executing a 180 deg. (half-donut) on a snowy street. Quickly, efficiently gets you going in the opposite direction for a quick getaway after dropping a pax off. Try that with a foot brake! I don't much like the foot brake either.

That took me back to the 50's and my '39 Ford coupe. Sigh! (or maybe my '38 Plymouth coupe?). Memory, the....umm...2nd, or was that 3rd, thing to go...can't seem to recall.

20. MarieH

MarieH New Member

I'm also old enough to remember the dimmer switch on the floor...and I kinda liked it there. The emergency brake between the seats always bothered me, cause my grandmom almost engaged it once with she was riding with me in my Beretta. She was worried by my speed going around a curve and wanted something to hang on to :D Given how many of my early cars had the brake in the floor, it feels right to me to have it there.