1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tools for Modding & Maintenance

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by scapegoat, May 4, 2007.

1. scapegoat

scapegoat New Member

Up until now, I have had hand-me-down or gifted vehicles. Lucky? Spoiled? Absolutely. However, my now 5 day old Prius is the first car that is completely mine. And I love it. Unlike the cars before it, the Prius will get my undivided love and attention. I want to Know it. I want to take care of it myself as much as possible, instead of regularly leaving it in the hands of JiffyLube or whomever.

With a 5 day old car, I have absolutely no justifiable reason to make any changes to it, other than, I like tweaking things.

I have a pretty good head for electronics and mechanics all round, but I absolutely lack any automotive experience. Obviously, some of the modifications that people talk about on this site require quite a bit of knowledge (adding a front-view camera with anytime display on MFD, for example) and some that anyone ought to be able to do (BT Plate).

SO.

What are good things to have? Keep in mind, I live in an apartment and have no garage of my own, but I have family across town that has that kind of space, and bigger tools if needed (compressor w/impact tools, ramps, etc)

I have seen things mentioned here that seem like pretty specific items, such as panel pullers and gear pullers, along with what are more 'standard' items like a torque wrench, soldering iron, etc etc.

For those of you that do this stuff regularly, what's in your toolbox? and if there is a preferred type/brand, what is it and where is a good place to get it?

1) tool_name: used for. Get it at <link>

Who wants to help a noobie out? =D

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Since the Prius requires so little maintenance, you hardly need any tools. Will you be changing your own oil? If so, a filter wrench (metal cup that fits over the end of the filter) might be handy. You'd also need a wrench to take out the oil drain plug, but a good spanner (crescent wrench) should do that and give you some flexibility. Other than that, maybe a metric socket set and several sizes of phillips- and flat-blade screwdrivers are all I can think of. You can probably get all the tools at Sears.

Think about paint care, look at the polish/Zaino/detailing threads for many ideas. You can spend a lot more time keeping your car looking new than you'll need to spend with tools. And you can keep things like Invisible Glass cleaner, detailing spray (for a super shine), and microfiber cloths in your apartment, with the car wash buckets (2) and supplies at your family's place.

Congratulations on your new car again!

3. Squint

Squint New Member

[​IMG]

CDI Computorq 3 torque wrenches. I have the small and medium sized ones. The small one is primarily for my bike and the medium one is primarily for my cars but there is some overlap.

4. jyl

jyl New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Haven't done any work on the Prius (and don't intend to) but have done quite a bit on other cars. Here's my thoughts.

First, as far as routine servicing goes, this is a new car. So it shouldn't need a thing beyond the Toyota-specified scheduled maintenance. It makes sense to have that scheduled maintenance done by the dealer, partly to avoid debates over warranty and partly to have a nice documented service history when you go to sell the car.

That's just my opinion, maybe I'm getting old but laying under a car with hot oil dripping down your arm just isn't that interesting the 5th or 50th time around. It was interesting to drop the engine and tranny on my 911 the first time, but I'm not all that interested in doing it again.

Second, as far as caring for the car, the most important thing you can do is clean, detail and protect the interior and exterior. A few years from now, would you rather have a 100% stock Prius with beautiful paint and immaculate interior, or a Prius with lots of gadgets bolted on but scratched dull paint and trashy interior? So I think cosmetic care stuff would be my first purchase. In addition to the usual wax, wash, buckets, mitts, etc, that I see mentioned in various car detailing threads, I'd add a rubber/vinyl treatment (I like Mothers Back To Black) and for carpets and cloth upholstery that is really dirty, check out a mini wet cleaner like a Bissel Little Green Machine.

Protective door moldings, parking away from other cars when possible, and using a paintless dent removal service every year or two as needed, will help a lot.

OK, if you really plan to wrench on the car, and are starting with literally no tools, I suggest going to the nearest Sears, talking to the tool salesmen, browsing the tool catalog, and buying a set of mechanic's hand tools. Sears Craftsman tools are good quality and it is much cheaper to buy a set of these tools than to buy even crappy tools by the piece. Get a proper tool box to keep them in, or rather boxes (cramming them all in one will make for a pretty heavy box).

IF the Prius has ALL METRIC fasteners (I'm assuming, better check) then get an all-metric set.

You may eventually want a 1/2" drive long bar (breaker bar) with a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter. I think you can get by without a torque wrench unless you will do suspension or brake work.

As this is a brand-new car, you'd hope to not need other mechanic's stand-bys like vise grips, cold chisels, B. F. Hammers, propane torch, etc. Specialized tools like pullers and really big sockets, you buy for the specific job (or, better yet, borrow/rent).

As for lifting the car, for anything other than oil changes, a floor jack and jackstands are better than ramps, since ramps obviously require the car to be on its wheels.

5. priusFTW

priusFTW Gen III JBL non Nav

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'll add:

A set of ramps

A good solid air pressure gauge. (to keep your tires in proper inflation)

A portable air compressor.

Oil filter wrench, I got mine from toyota dealer for a few bucks

Extra oil filters, again from the dealer

I purchased door panel and dashboard removal tools from a site on the internet ( have found these invaluable)